[BAT]La Historia del Gente de España - A Spain AAR

GreekAnalyzer

Back from the Dead
Yes, I am writing again.

Yes, some of the Spanish contained herein will most likely be wrong. Please correct me; it's the only way I'll learn.

Game Settings (Noble because I tried this on Prince and I really can't win at Prince yet):

Spoiler :

I realize that these are the most vanilla settings possible, but I'm here to write a history book about a fictional world, not really have an interesting game. I've already played up to about 1500 AD; I have another week mostly free of responsibility, so I can probably at the very least play through the game and get all the screenshots necessary so I can write this.

OOC Commentary will be in blue as such.

With all that being said, onto the actual story!

----------------------------------------------------------

The Spanish people were nomads, living a hunter-gatherer lifestyle on the plains and hills of Asturia. But like many other peoples around 4000 BC, they settled down, forming cities and adopting agriculture.
Spoiler :

Modern historians, anthropologists and archaeologists are still divided over why so many different peoples in so many different locations, terrain and climate decided almost simultaneously to forgo a hunter-gatherer lifestyle and adopt agriculture. Those who are religious suggest that their God or gods put the divine spark of inspiration in the heads of men around the world. Those who are atheist or agnostic attempt to explain it by offering more mundane explanations, saying that perhaps climate change or some worldwide shift in some area might have lead to the Great Settling.

The Spanish, however, for many years had no such debate or doubt of their origins. It was simple; if you were Buddhist, you'd say that the Buddha had told Abrahan (sue me for being unoriginal with naming patriarchs), the father of their nation, to settle at a bend in the Rio de Oro, and that settlement had become Madrid, the crown jewel of the Spanish nation. Meanwhile if you were Confucian, it was not the Buddha who had told Abrahan to settle where Madrid is today, but the voice of Tian, or Heaven.

Spoiler :

Many faithful in Spain still hold these notions, and, to be fair, they are not entirely wrong. The earliest piece of archaeological evidence (ancient ashes found in a rough firepit) found underneath Madrid dates to around 3800 BC. However, the earliest form of literature date from around 3000 BC.

Spoiler :

La Crónica del Heroès was a story composed around 3000 BC, and passed down through oral tradition until the invention of the Spanish alphabet. Many copies survive from ancient times, and most are relatively consistent with each other. The story has three parts, the first dealing with the heroes being hounded by wolves as they enter a village for shelter, the second at the savagery of the villagers as they chase and give battle to the heroes, and the third about the aftermath of the battle. In the midst of the battle, the main hero, Marcial, cries out to the gods for mercy. (This was edited into Heaven or Buddha in later copies, but in the original the word means merely "gods") "Heaven", moved by their supplications, grants the heroes victory in battle against villagers "twice their number." The third act is all about giving just due to the gods, and to accept visitors if they seek aid.

Overall, La Crónica serves as a parable for good religious conduct. Buddhism, Confucianism, and the old Spanish folk religion agree that hospitality and overall devotion to the gods are core tenets of their respective religions. Of more interest to modern historians are its accurate accounts of the equipment of early Spanish warriors. Many examples matching descriptions in La Crónica have been found in and around Madrid. My warrior killed two barbs, and I thought that this should definitely deserve some backstory

Spoiler :

Celtic goods first appear in the archaeological record around 2400 B.C. These include axe and spear heads made from Celtic flint harvested near Bibracte, as well as Buddhist religious objects. Celtia has influenced Spain, just as Spain has influenced Celtia. The most obvious example of this is of course Buddhism, one of the two major faiths of Spain.

Spoiler :

Barcelona dates later in the archaeological record than Madrid, but it is still very, very old. It is believed that Spanish settlers sailed upstream of the Rio de Oro, soon finding more of the gold ore deposits that give the river its name. Barcelona has always been generally productive and prosperous; not only does it have its famous gold deposits, it lays near one of the sources of the Rio de Oro.

Spoiler :

Byzantium, the other civilization on Asturia, was met later. Byzantine items show up in the archaeological record much later than Celtic items. Due to the dictates of geography, Spain and Byzantium never had much contact, certainly never as much as Spain and Celtia. Celtia is pretty much a buffer between Justinian and me

Hence ends the first 2500 years of Spanish history, and begins the start of a new series! Please comment and correct my poor Spanish, and stay tuned for further installments!

Oh, look who's back writing! Most excellent! Sub!
And look, the continent you're on looks like a bean! I don't know if it's relevant, but still...

Update 2: Confucianism

Spoiler :

The Spaniards started expanding to the south, founding Seville in 875 B.C. By this period, we have a smattering of official government documents, which becomes more and more meticulous as the ages stretch on.

Seville claimed land to the south of Spain, hopefully starting to claim land at the thinnest point of Asturia to prevent Celtic expansion into the north. The city secured a trading port on the Bay of Seville and to the Southern Ocean in general, as well as fertile land, its famous stone quarries, and the first wild horses, which were soon domesticated and put into use in the Spanish military later in time. Silly AI wanting me to settle one tile away from the cost. Seville is a great all-round city, with a good balance of food, hammers and commerce. It, along with Barcelona and the next city I found are my production powerhouses later in the game.

Spoiler :

In 675 B.C. the king Alfonso II set out to ambitiously codify Spanish law into a single, unitary code. He succeeded in this goal, and the Código de Alfonso formed the basis for later Spanish law. However, this new law code had great influence from a new religion:

Spoiler :

Famously in 675 B.C, the famous philosopher Confucius laid out his belief system. He was a minor official in charge of the gold mines of Barcelona, and it was Barcelona that provided the core founders and believers of his belief system. Confucianism provided a counter to the Celtic Buddhism in the south, where as Confucianism was focused in the north. Most famously, Seville was almost exclusively Buddhist, while Barcelona was almost exclusively Confucian for a long time, with Madrid having prominent communities from both religions.

Confucianism influenced the Código de Alfonso in many ways, the foremost being its focus on filial piety. The rey was seen as a father for the whole country, and while his subjects should follow him with devotion, the rey needed to be a good father to his subjects. This is, however, a book focused on history and not theology, and as such we will leave a more in-depth study of Confucian values and principles for another book.

Shorter update I know, but I'm rather under the weather, and I wanted to uphold my promise.

The beginning of the first millennium BC was marked by increased barbarian activity in the west and east. Several times, the garrisons of Madrid and Barcelona were mobilized to defeat barbarian incursions. The barbarians rarely won these engagements, as the Spanish had better quality bronze as well as more training. Despite often being outnumbered, the garrisons quickly became experts in ancient warfare.

Spoiler :

Shortly following the Código de Alfonso, the Spanish monarchy experienced a crisis. King Roberto I had died suddenly due to illness without an heir. This caused a crisis, as there was no one to inherit the throne, and quickly lead to a civil war, with the Commadante del Guarnición Botito (named as he had participated in a battle against barbarians at a very young age) seizing power in Madrid proper. He then used his power to crush rebels in Seville and Barcelona, crowning himself King Oscar I of House Real, and starting a new line that would endure for 600 years.

Spoiler :

One of the most important acts of the Real kings was to send settlers to the Isthmus of Asturia in order to secure the northern portion from the Celts. This was done under Botito's great-grandson Alfonso III. This city was christened Cordoba, and was founded in 300 BC. For many years, Cordoba was the first bulwark against potential Celtic invasion, and as such much time and wealth was used to fortify it. In fact, it was the first city to host one of the famous ciudadela systems that the Spaniards would become so famous for in the future.

Spoiler :

Cordoba is actually one of my best cities in the late game, on par with Seville and Barcelona in production. Also, I forgot all about that sign.

Another important act of House Real was the standardization of coinage in the empire. This was accomplished by King Oscar III in 200 B.C. Before the Currency Reform of 200 B.C. barter was the main mean of exchanging goods and services in the empire. But using coinage from the mines of Madrid and Barcelona he instituted the first currency, the real. While his house didn't survive, the name of the currency did, and today at any major city you will find merchants dealing in reals. A real was made of gold, and was worth twenty pesos, which were made of silver.

Spoiler :

The real, backed by the finest quality gold in the world, quickly became the preferred method of exchange from Constantinople to Madrid. This make Spanish merchants (and kings very wealthy)

However, as Oscar III was hailed as a genius for his currency reforms, he quickly lost that popularity later in 200 B.C. Through a bustling trade with the Celtic south, many merchants in Seville converted to Buddhism. Oscar III, in a move to win a better relationship with the Celts, converted to Buddhism and allowed further missionaries to enter Spain. This was not a popular desicion, especially in Barcelona, the heartland of Confucianism. It was only through domestic diplomatic manuervering that prevent a full-scale revolt, but the change did have the desired effect. Celtia and Spain were great allies and trading partners because of their shared Buddhist bond until the Ley de Libertad Religiosa in the 16th-century.

Spoiler :

That is such a nice sign. :lmao:

So I've been dealing with some personal issues lately, and as such I haven't had the time to write much. I fully intend to keep writing this, but there will not be an update for a while. I will post as soon as I have something to post.
~Greek

Top Bottom