BattleTech/MechWarrior Mod...any interest?

This mod does have potential to come to frutation... in about a year when their is enough viable units for you to use. This would definitely be a complete mod pack, or more specifically a total conversion. I would imagine that this mod would work better (ie make more sense) if you get the theme to small battles. Instead of full blown civilization, just keep it to say base commander. So that you can simulate the small scale battles on foreign planets.

I remember someone saying that this was impossible, SDK or not.

Emperor Martyn said:
I was hoping somebody would start a Battletech mod.:goodjob:

There could be loads of different planet/maps with different factions fighting on them.

I really like the space idea, but it is not suitable for a Battletech mod, most of it is based a ground warfare with loads of different types of tanks, 'mechs, aircarft, etc.

... I'm going to do it anyway (the naval version). Aside from the units changing and some of the buildings having new names, I'm not going to be stretching too much. I figure for the first few versions I can simply change the underlying rulebase and wait for people to do the various graphics.

Unlike the land version (and the previous Civ3) of the game, I only need 8 mech models:
Clan - Assault, Heavy, Medium, Light
IS - Assault, Heavy, Medium, Light

And if I really need to, I can get away with just 1. The UUs I figure I can deal with later.

The naval version of the mod will mostly interest strategists who like tend to focus more on logistics, economy & allocation, and politics rather than the actual combat.

Idea is brilliant, i just love MW and Battletech :) Too bad i'm not able to help much, only betatest, if needed :rolleyes:

A Battletech mod would be fantastic. I am no expert, but I can lend an outside view point, and if you want I'll test the mods as they come.

I don't think you can do Battletech without fighting for planets. I don't know how well it would work to control a galaxy and have the game load individual maps for planets. you may consider making it like MECHASSUALT 2 for XBOX. Have a community of online play that is divided into House's. And build the maps as planets, when someone wants to take a planet they take it online and play a multiplayer game, the winning side takes the planet. The overall fight, of course, being control of the galaxy.

I support this Battletech mod 100%.

At least someone is finally taking up a project that seems worthwhile. Some of those mods are a little out there.

If a battle for a planet is to be picked to be modded...how about the planet Tukkyaid(sp?) and the biggest battle of the main war? it had most of if not all the houses/mercenaries/clans AND comstar + it can give a viable win strategy because the clans had their own objective and the houses have their own strategy. maps of the planet can be found along with unit strentghs and such.

Or Terra/Earth. Of course right now it's under control of Comstar / RotS (depending on your timeline) but it's the most sought prize of them all isn't it?

On second thought... Tukkayid is probably a better choice.

in the perspective of different houses with different units and more variety..yeh it might be better...

I also think you should seriously limit the sim city aspect of the mod and concentrate on the fighting. There are several reasons for this. First, setting too lofty a goal is just setting yourself up for failure. Look at 90% of those vaporware mmo's (lord knows I've followed or betaed enough of them). Then, take for example the Forgotten Hope mod for BF/BF2. In 2 they've really zeroed in on the Afrika Korps campaign so that they can actually get something complete, done well, and out the door in a reasonable amount of time. Second, what is Battletech *REALLY* about, especially from the perspective of the average person's familiarity with the universe? The fighting. If you can nail that, and do it well, then you can spend the time to expand from there.

Now I'll narrow down to some specific suggestions / ideas.

Focus on the planet fighting, at least to begin with. While the conquest of galactic conquest is very cool, fighting in those little fat cross's that represent a planet definitely isn't. If at some point down the line it actually is possible to implement a tactical overhead map (ala MOO2 or something) I'd say go for it. As it stands, if you start with a single planetary battle style land based map, you have a great focused game. Someone suggested syncing units between the two play styles, I say if you have to have the 2 dif game types then this is an absolute must. Competing mods is just wasted resources IMO.

So for the planetary battles... Instead of having cities, make it so you build (settle) control points. The catch is, have several different kinds of control points. Make mech bays, garrisons, mines, power plants, farms... that kind of stuff. There may be some way for each type to yield a certain type of bonus, or allow production only at specific bases, etc. From there instead of building city improvements in each base, you can allow there to be built a very small number of improvements, or addons really. IE, build the 1.21 jiggawatt hyper thermonuclear capacitor addon for you powerplant base.

Culture... eliminated obviously but not completely useless. Call it Control, and the borders obviously mean nothing, however since civ tracks the amount of control you've produced you can probably tool this to allow for unit population caps, or addons or something to that effect, or unlocking specific units/addons. obviously science would have a similar effect so you'd have to settle on which does what, but you get the idea...

I've begun rambling and hopping topics a bit so i'll come back to this more later.

RedRoger said:
At least someone is finally taking up a project that seems worthwhile. Some of those mods are a little out there.

This coming from someone taking about *Battletech*???

Max

Awesome idea, its a shame there arent anymore Battletech games out there, it was something unique, allthought i prefered Starsiege a bit more. I am afraid i cant help you as i am not a modder, i only have just great ideas for things.

Hopefully you manage to finish it, i am sure i would play it.

Oh and a FYI i have the sourcebooks for

Tukayyid
The Fall of Terra
Galtor Campaign
Battle of Twycross
Coventry

so i can get accurate info on those events =P just gotta let me know

lifeaquatic said:
it died because its not a good idea.

well im so sorry....when i was working u apparently was appointed to be GOD...gees...u have ur topic and interests...i have mines...and the ideas presented seemed almost to good to be tru in my eyes

I'm still working on mine. I managed to create a rough (still buggy - only the flag and the titles work) form of the Capellan Confederation yesterday.

I haven't been posting here because as of this moment:

1) it's solely my own work/creative spawn
2) i don't feel like committing to a schedule other than my own pace
3) there hasn't been enough completed on it thus far to warrant advertising
4) the modding community is still too far in its infancy; modding without instructions especially when I haven't modded before is more difficult
5) there are no graphical sources for me to copy that'd allow me to rely on any sort of timetable

When I get my project completed to sufficient levels, that's when I'll start talking about it.

Top Bottom