• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Beautiful Graphics in Colonization...

Wouldn't it be an utter waste of time? It won't be THAT long until a new expansion to Civ IV comes around, sporting the new graphics...

You missed the point of my post. They would have to rebuild Civilization IV and release a new, stand-alone game to use the 1.1 shaders. You can't just change the game engine in the middle of an expansion pack. The base code is different.

Sure will be it needs have graphics with pixel shader in version 1.1- minimum.
If someone know when will be requirements untensils?

Various versions of the Civ4 engine are bad from modder point of view. Which version to base mods on? It would be ideal to just have one final Civ4 with no bugs/upcoming changes.

Copyright infringement aside, does anybody think it would be possible to use the new shaders in original Civ IV? I think the water reflections and realistic shadows in the Colonization screenshots would enhance Civ IV immensely... so this is something I think should definitely be looked into. :)

One way it could be done is by making a "Civilization IV" mod for Colonization. That would be an incredible amount of work though. The only other way I can think of is by somehow getting the shaders to work for Civ IV.

EDIT: It would be cool if Firaxis released a mini-expansion or patch for Civ IV which just updated the graphics.
It would be cool if Firaxis released that as a download...

I heard from the podcast that was recently released that it would be possible to use the Col textures in Civ, but it required a lot more work than just porting it. because of some technical restrictions it could be done but required a hell of a lot of work. I am sure some fanatics will find a way if it can be done, but I think Civ4 is fine as it is. :)

I at least hope leaderheads will be portable though. A lot of mods would benefit from the news ones in Col.

You're assuming that there's going to be more expansions for Civ IV. What more can they add after BTS? (well lots, probably ;)) but as much as I hope you're right, I don't think there will be any more Civ IV expansions. :(

If they did another one, i'd leave gameplay alone and do an update to the graphics, and do new unit/city sets for each civ.

What, is it different from Europe verision and the us??
So you think its better to by a colonization from usa instead from europe??+

I believe Leo is referring to the screen in the game that shows the docks in Europe - the screen where you load/unload cargo from your ships, purchase artillery, pick up immigrants bound for the new world, etc. Apart from the text (language), the screen should look and function the same no matter where you purchase the game - Europe or North America.

Anyone know how to tell if your video card has pixil render1.1 (Shader). I 've llost my specs and it seems that my card is no longer available. So I have no idea if my card will handle Civ 4 Colonization. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated..thansk;)

What kind of card do you have? If you know what card you can google it. You can safely assume that any card that that was released in the past few years will run 1.1 shaders as the technique is quite a few years old already and they are not as up to date as you might think.

One way to tell what kind of graphic card you may have is to right click on your desktop, select properties. Then select the settings tab, underneath the icon of your monitor it should say what card you have. Google it and you may find out, or post the type and some one will tell you if the card is recent enough.

To give some reassurance I'll repeat that all but the most ancient cards can handle 1.1 shaders with ease.

I believe Leo is referring to the screen in the game that shows the docks in Europe - the screen where you load/unload cargo from your ships, purchase artillery, pick up immigrants bound for the new world, etc. Apart from the text (language), the screen should look and function the same no matter where you purchase the game - Europe or North America.

But, is there a different at all?
No matter what if it's small or huge (different), does it even exist??

Well, I can confirm (at least from my one test so far) that LH's from Colonization can be used in BtS. See the screenshot; the only problem is that the eyes are pink, but I think that could be fixed fairly easily.

Cheers,
ripple01

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0049.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0049.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 233
I think it might be missing the eyelash texture, try looking for it in the shared folder under art, maybe?

It looks good though, the colonization leaderheads (and units) are a lot higher quality than the ones in civ.

Top Bottom