Being able to see own Leader

Would you like to view your leader's progression through Affinity levels?

• Yes, allow us to see our own leader.

Votes: 86 52.4%
  • Yes, allow us to both see and customise.

Votes: 53 32.3%
  • No, not really needed

Votes: 25 15.2%

• Total voters

vahouth

Prince
How would you feel with the added option to see your Leader's progression through your chosen Affinity path and/or be able to customise it?
Personally I think it adds so much to immersion.

Yes, I really missed the Throne Room/Palace

I was hoping they might be readded in a way that what you got tied into your actual gameplay actions (conquer someone's capital get their banner on your wall)

My feelings exactly!
I miss the good old days... :D

I would like to see my leader as well. In civ5 it was not so interesting, as the leaders didn't change over time. But in BE it might be way more appealing.

However, I feel that we need some sort of "excuse" to show him/her. Just a non-functional throne room screen with the leader in it will not be used very often. (Other than to jerk off. Just mentaly, of course!)
Maybe if the "throne room" and the leader would be used as background image when presenting your empire's statistics? Or something alike.

Personally I don't need a reason to be able to see my leader.
I can see it being done though either in diplomacy screen along with the other leader, both having a dialogue or in the virtues/policies screen or in a special throne room where you can modify his/her's appearance.

EDIT: We can also see our leader in the Planetary Council Screen .

About seeing own leader, I think there should be able to do so with diplomatic or special menu (a.k.a. "throne" room) I don't sure about modifying appearance through, I wouldn't care much about what cloth my leader wear.

BTW, I wish there would have some kind of eerie faint background in every leader to reflect the faction itself and affinity. Current background blur diplomacy doesn't impress me at all.

I definitely want to be able to see and customize my own leaders and cities. CivWorld had really cool skins you could buy for your buildings.

Yeah that would be an interesting addition, but im more interested in deep immersive gameplay, hence i voted not really needed even though i do think it would be cool..

About seeing own leader, I think there should be able to do so with diplomatic or special menu (a.k.a. "throne" room) I don't sure about modifying appearance through, I wouldn't care much about what cloth my leader wear.

BTW, I wish there would have some kind of eerie faint background in every leader to reflect the faction itself and affinity. Current background blur diplomacy doesn't impress me at all.

pretty sure the leaders change as their affinity develops

Yeah that would be an interesting addition, but im more interested in deep immersive gameplay, hence i voted not really needed even though i do think it would be cool..

How is it being able to see and/or customize your leader not immersive?
I think it adds tons to the immersion of the gameplay.

However, I feel that we need some sort of "excuse" to show him/her. Just a non-functional throne room screen with the leader in it will not be used very often. (Other than to jerk off. Just mentaly, of course!)
I think this is the key issue; there's really no useful game interface in which showing your own leader makes sense. You could add a superfluous throne room or leader stats screen, but it would be just that -- superfluous. The only idea that comes to mind is a sort of Master or Orion style diplomacy screen where you see the back of your own leader's head while talking to the foreign leader, but it's clear they're not going to do that (and I doubt it would be compelling if they did).

I voted see but not customize. At least, not through some customization screen. It seems that the changes are more in response to your actions in the game. I would rather the designers focus on making these actions have meaning rather than letting you dilute this through your own changes. But seeing what these changes have done is an important part of the process to reward your actions, so I would like to at least see how your character has changed over time.

I think this is the key issue; there's really no useful game interface in which showing your own leader makes sense. You could add a superfluous throne room or leader stats screen, but it would be just that -- superfluous. The only idea that comes to mind is a sort of Master or Orion style diplomacy screen where you see the back of your own leader's head while talking to the foreign leader, but it's clear they're not going to do that (and I doubt it would be compelling if they did).

How about a planetary council screen?
Personally I would be happy even with a Superfluous Throne room as you say.
I really don't mind and I can see it being shown to us every time the player completes a milestone in his chosen affinity. But even a button to enter the throne room , hell even a pause screen. or a save screenshot would be nice. :)

How about a planetary council screen?
Personally I would be happy even with a Superfluous Throne room as you say.
I really don't mind and I can see it being shown to us every time the player completes a milestone in his chosen affinity. But even a button to enter the throne room , hell even a pause screen. or a save screenshot would be nice. :)

Well no planetary council screen... but perhaps the diplomacy could take you in (assuming no actual throne room)
... affinity breakthroughs would be the best (essentially get a pop up whenever the appearance changes)

I like the idea of my Leader becoming my customizable Throne Room. It fits nicely with the Affinity mechanics imho. I think a superfluous screen where I could customize my Leader's appearance would be particularly awesome in multi-player games so that not every Supremacy Leader looks like a clone of all the others :)

Voted to see but not customise.

I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to see your own leader in the Foreign Policy menu or whatever. It just makes sense considering the leaders actually change visually over the course of a game.

Didn't vote to customise though. To me I'd rather see cosmetic changes to your leader happen as a kind of organic process than something you directly customise. Like, the changes in your leader's appearance are side effects of actual choices you've made with technology choices etec.

I've been thinking what would be the best or more realistic way to implement a "Throne Room" screen where you can view the progression of your leader in his chosen path, and I came out with these:
1) A save game screenshot with the leader's progression.
2) Esc to menu, the leader's next to the menu (maybe animated?)
3) A throne room where you can enter with a click of a button, with an environment also based on affinity.
4) A screen of the leader is shown every time the player passes a milestone in his chosen affinity.

So, what do you guys think you'd like most? Or what could be the most realistic addition to the game?

Btw, I think that this is a MUCH MORE atractive preorder than the 6 custom maps they offer.

After the first few playthroughs, you'll have seen all the affinity/faction combinations, and it will cease to be novel or interesting. I don't see the point of a leader screen unless there's some kind of player-controlled customization.

I think it needs a lot more playthroughs for that to happen.

Top Bottom