Belief selection & prioritization by the AI.

India seems to value orders a lot for a peaceful civilization that in my experience at least have never conquered a single city or declared an expansion war.

I think the AI in general values Orders a lot. Similarly with Way of the Pilgrim. India and the Celts just found early fairly often. Hopefully Gazebo's bug fix will help!

In the game I'm playing at the moment :
I founded first! (got very lucky), took Way of Transcendence and Cooperation with Progress
Maya founded second, took Way of the Pilgrim and Orders with Tradition
The Huns founded third, took Hero Worship and Veneration with Authority

They are not, in fact they are perfectly balanced. They are garbage beliefs in the beggining, they give next to nothing both for wide and tall playstyles, but turtle to become mediocre in medieval, really nice by renaissance, and outright excellent by industrial. Sometimes synergy with scholarship, mosques, and jesuit education can proppel them to amazingness even faster, and this is for what you should strive in every religion and can basically do with many beliefs depending on your needs. It is a matter of planning and prioritizing. They are far from being too strong, I consider fertility, beauty, and war pantheons, sometimes even carnival and nature ones, to be better.

Why should you expect AI to not to choose strong and optimal route for them? You have the same oportunity to grab those pantheons and sculpt strong synergetic religion even on standard deity. If you want to have strong religion focus on it, don't whine that it is rewarding for those who sacrifice other things to prioritize it.
If you assume, the AI is always picking the best/strongest pantheon for them, isnt the fact they are always picking Commerce/Wisdom in my games a great sign, that those pantheons are strong (or too strong)?
Its extremly easy to achieve atleast 3 faith per city by simply connecting a city and build the already powerful market in it, while your capital already generates more through the gold from the palace.
Its definitly more faith than you can achieve with mines/pastures/quarries on ressources or Festival/Beauty....
1 science per city is literally a free council and the gold from commerce can be used for everything, and both pantheons are able to outscale EVERY other pantheon in faith, unless you kill 5 units per turn with god of war.
I think what we should all do is play a game as India, take Orders, and see if we've missed something.
Ghandi is a perfect warmonger, his UA is able to neglect every growth penalty your puppets could get and imperialism buffs your already good farms even more. Unfortunatly the Naga Malla is now only a shadow of its former self. Attacking the Naga Mala with ranged units from 2 tiles away makes no difference if its Indias UU or a normal cuirassier and the feared elephant promotion is lost on upgrade.

Last edited:
The Maya loves picking Way of the Pilgrim for some reason.

Top Bottom