Benefits from open borders?

[Comrade]RaVE

Chieftain
Outside obtaining other peoples religions, what are the perks to open borders? Generally I decline open borders because if someone is to invade me, I want them to be blind.

But the AI are dirty cheaters anyways, so it probably doesn't matter. I dunno, what's the general consensus?

I believe open-borders allows trade-routes with foreigh Civs. You'll have greater access to more lucrative trade routes; your super-wealthy cities will be able to trade with their wealthy cities instead of merely your other regular ones. I've seen foreign trade-routes deliver 5 commerce apiece. This is why mercantalism is a trade-off, since you lose out on lucrative foreign trade-routes.

sometimes not having open borders with an AI can cut you off from areas of the map you would like to access

tombeef said:
sometimes not having open borders with an AI can cut you off from areas of the map you would like to access

e.g. when attacking another AI through the Open Borders.

Also, of course there's the small benefit to diplomatic relations from having Open Borders.

Also, it would allow you to spread your religion (through missionaries) to them, which besides the diplomatic benefit, can provide you with more cash and knowledge of their lands (obvioulsy with shrine). But obivoulsy, they can do all that stuff to you.

The biggest advantage is that you get foreign trade routes in your nation's cities. These are 2.5 times as profitable as your own. Each foreign city can only have a trade route with one of your cities, so it is clearly beneficial to have trade routes with multiple other civilizations. Also trade routes with cities that are far away are more beneficial and the cities of other nations are typically further away than your own cities. I've had cities with 40-50 commerce purely from foreign trade routes in the late game.

The other benefits are
-better relations
-spreading of your religion for line of sight, money and relations (by converting them to your state religion). You typically do that more active than any AI controlled nation
-scouting enemy lands with units

disadvantages:
-during the settling period, the AI can move through your borders to settle areas that you would have liked to settle
-it can scout your land prior to an attack. I've seen the AI do this.
-it can spread its religion to your lands. This can be good or bad depending on the situation

I typically try to have open borders with every other AI after the expansion period (and sometimes during the expansion period).

A potential disadvantage of Open Borders is that it can sour relations with civs that are rivals with your trading partner (You have traded with our worst enemy!) Your relations can deteriorate further if you refuse to stop trading with another civ's enemy on request (or if you comply with the request, your relations with your former trading partner will be worse).

That's not necessarily a bad thing, just realize that it's hard to have Open Borders with everyone. You may want to decide in advance who you want for your allies.

Some of the AIs will constantly put the pressure on you to drop your open borders. And some AIs will be ok with it but others will take a -1 hit. Sooo. I think correct play isnt open borders indiscriminately. There might be a civ that takes it personally if you refuse an open border request but i cant name one. (a -1) I been playing with this a bit.

This is one of those things though where you might be able to make early gains but later on it will hamper you. What i mean is take state religion as an example. You can make early ease of relations by having no religion however the no +25% building production really hampers your in the long run. So your tepid play while showing initial gains prolly isnt the strongest play in the harder levels.

Here your missing out on trade routes that those open borders give you. So while its prolly correct not to try to be everybodys open border friend you dont want to get so overboard with it that you dont get your city trade routes for coin.

Typically do atleast this:
If you break an open border with someone because someone else asked you to DONT REFORM THE OPEN BORDER AT THE NEXT REQUEST!

I did that for a couple weeks lol~ Then I thought oh yeah hey... this just gets me more request to loose more standing points. If you know one AI is going to ask you to break the open border and you know your going to do it. Then dont make the open border in the first place...

kodos said:
A potential disadvantage of Open Borders is that it can sour relations with civs that are rivals with your trading partner (You have traded with our worst enemy!) Your relations can deteriorate further if you refuse to stop trading with another civ's enemy on request (or if you comply with the request, your relations with your former trading partner will be worse).

That's not necessarily a bad thing, just realize that it's hard to have Open Borders with everyone. You may want to decide in advance who you want for your allies.

Don't think so. Open Border does not seems to trigger that you have traded with our worst enemy. Rather it seems triggered by tech trade and/or resource trade deals.

Top Bottom