When do you grant Open Borders?

jtpavlock

Chieftain
When, if ever, is it a good idea to grant open borders to the AI? Are there any hidden benefits or downsides to granting (or accepting) open borders?

It offers a tourism bonus if you are going for a cultural victory and a diplomatic bonus to relationships. Also adds a bonus to vassals. I almost never offer it to my immediate neighbors until after I vassalize them.

Yeah only if I need open borders from them for military stuff or I'm going for a CV

Tried it in current game and ofc I get a few annoying blocks but its not like vanilla where open borders were the worst descision ever.

If they declare war, they're all kicked out of your territory. So it's always worth opening unless YOU want to declare war.

Always unless I'm intentionally trying to block them in with my cities.

Almost always. On Diety sometimes a front runner can emerge even in ancient times. It can quickly become obvious that this will be the dominant civilization and will be the likely candidate for the cultural victory. It's imperative that you never allow open borders with this faction. This will probably become your arch enemy someday so it shouldn't be difficult to remain hostile with each other.

It was several years ago but I actually lost a game to a cultural victory... damn Brazil.

Last edited:
It's imperative that you never allow open borders with this faction.
It's you getting their open borders that increases their tourism. Opening your borders does nothing.

Im not sure if this is a feature or what not, but most of the time the Ai opens their borders to me, but i keep mine closed.

Im not sure if this is a feature or what not, but most of the time the Ai opens their borders to me, but i keep mine closed.
Well as mentioned. When they open their borders to you it increases their tourism rate with you. This is why they are pushing it in you. Depending on difficulty this may never be an issue. But sometimes you need an ally in the world. Plus if you ever intend to do the cultural victory, you'll need to allow them open borders.

I find it useful for the minor diplomatic bonus if the civ in question isn't important. Like other people have stated, if there is a runaway civ, minmaxing involves making every decision that benefits you and hinders the opposing civ, they typically have a greater culture output due to size/population, so allowing for the open border tourism bonus is going to let them become influential with you faster. I'll usually only allow it for my vassals, as they have no chance of winning, and if you have vassals at all, everybody despises you for the sins it took to conquer.

I generally allow it as much as possible for a sense of realism. I mean unless you are pretending to be North Korea, most civilized countries allow open borders. And allow their citizens to leave lol

Top Bottom