BERT analysis

Interesting video. Thanks for doing it.

A couple comments:

1) Just my personal opinion, but I disagree that RT just takes BE to civ5 vanilla level. First of all, civ5 vanilla was horrible. It lacking a lot of basic content and was completely unbalanced. Civ5 vanilla was much worse than BE vanilla. Personally, I would rank Rising Tide as being somewhere in between Gods & Kings and Brave New World. RT does add a lot of content, arguably as much content as G&K added to civ5 vanilla. You say that balance is still lacking but I think RT still deserves a lot of credit for all the new content that it adds to the base game. I don't think the game needs "at least 2 more" expansions as you say. But I would absolutely want to see 1 more big expansion, hopefully one that adds more hybrid affinity content (missing hybrid units and hybrid buildings etc) as well as adds more content to the orbital layer. I would like to see the orbital layer becomes its own rich "map" in its own right like what RT did with oceans.

2) Affinity system. I definitely like the idea of a "social policy" type system for affinities. But it is pretty radical. I still think that techs need to be connected at least a little bit to affinities. There is a reason why the current game gives affinity points with techs: certain techs are about stuff that relate to that affinity. If I research AI stuff that is a supremacy thing. So, it makes sense for a civ who is researching AI to make progress in supremacy. I think it is important not to completely lose that connection. I would not want a system where I can research AI stuff but use my science to unlock harmony policies. Also, I would be concerned that the new affinity system would make the tech web feel vestigial, similar to the new diplomacy traits/agreements system and the virtue system. If the new and cool affinity system unlocks affinity units, affinity buildings as well as strong affinity perks then that does not leave much left for the tech web. Players won't care much that the tech web unlocks a measly +1 food to farms or basic buildings and units because the focus will be on the more powerful stuff that the affinity system provides. This would especially be true if, as you say, science would also be used to unlock affinity policies. Why would I bother spending a lot of science on the techs when I can spend the science on better affinity stuff? And if you say "well, but certain techs would still be prerequisites for affinity levels" then you still have techs unlocking affinity levels, just with a more complex and interesting affinity system in between.

Hey SupremacyKing2, thanks for the feedback and analysis. Here are some of my counter-points.

1. Although I don't recall playing Civ V on day one, I did play it early one. At the time I didn't think it was horrible. The AI was terrible at war, but the game itself, in terms of design made sense, the wonders art was beautiful, the game was simple to learn and hard to master, and it all fit in. It was just not enough content IMHO.
Rising Tide adds some content but I struggle to say it adds enough. You see, Civ BE, again in my opinion was a shell of a game, it still is to some degree. It is missing what makes it captivating, whether that is immersion, or the "it" factor that would make it stand out. Civ V had that, and having this "it" factor is the reason people played Civ V so much, and it brought so many new fans.

2. The reason I think the game needs two more expansions is twofold. Firstly the game has many problems, health system is bland and uninteresting, diplomacy isn't great by any means, hybrids are unfinished, small unit roster, short games ect ect.. And secondly the game needs to capture the "it" factor which it can get from more immersion within the game, and fleshing out affinities as a core part of BE. Not to mention that if you sell an expansion you also need to add something new to the game as well, so I guess my reasoning is threefold.

About the Orbital layer, that would be great, they definitely could do more with it. It is something I haven't really looked too much into, as there are so many shortcomings in the game at the moment.

3. So, I agree about the connecting techs to affinities makes sense logically, but as a game system I think it doesn't add anything. It isn't interesting, greatly immersive, and for the most part, I just think it restricts our ability to use the tech web as it was meant to be, a tech web you can feel free to explore.

4.To discuss your point on the tech web having nothing left if affinities are removed, i'd say that if you have to rely on affinity buildings, and units to make your tech web interesting, you have failed to make a proper tech web. So have affinities within the tech web is just patching up the problem, not actually fixing it.
In terms of my affinity idea, I am afraid I didn't explain myself well. What I meant to say is that science points would generate affnity points that could then be used to level up your affinity. That is what I meant to say, so, 8 science per turn would generate 8 points that could be used in your "My affinity Tree". An additional comment I had meant to make was that I would like for this affinity tree, to solely use this science per turn income to unlock everything affinity related, but I wouldn't be 100% against having a sort of tech requirement if anything was too strong (i.e. Unlock at least 10 techs before getting unit A or w/e.) That being said, I think my original systems is superior in that it makes more sense intuitively, and strong units could be moved farther down the affinity trees to be made harder to get.

Thanks again for the details in your commentary, it helped me get a better feel for what I was unable to communicate in my video.

I haven't had the time to watch this yet (I rarely have time for videos and stuff, sadly) but I just wanted to thank you for the time you've taken to do this kind of thing.

Regardless of agreeing or disagreeing with your points, the effort you've put in is undeniable and I think we need more of it as a community.

:king:

1. Although I don't recall playing Civ V on day one, I did play it early one. At the time I didn't think it was horrible. The AI was terrible at war, but the game itself, in terms of design made sense, the wonders art was beautiful, the game was simple to learn and hard to master, and it all fit in. It was just not enough content IMHO.
Rising Tide adds some content but I struggle to say it adds enough. You see, Civ BE, again in my opinion was a shell of a game, it still is to some degree. It is missing what makes it captivating, whether that is immersion, or the "it" factor that would make it stand out. Civ V had that, and having this "it" factor is the reason people played Civ V so much, and it brought so many new fans.

Your experience with civ5 vanilla and BE is very interesting to me because it is almost the mirror opposite of my experience. I felt like civ5 vanilla was a shell of a game because it was missing some really key historical concepts. It did not have trade routes, espionage nor any religion system! In addition, horseman were hugely OP. You could take cities in the classical age with just 4-5 horseman. You did not even need any ranged units. Also, units were too soft so they were one shot killed a lot (This was fixed in the expansions that increased HP to 100 points instead of 10). So, for these reasons, I feel like civ5 vanilla was basically a prototype designed to test 1upt and hexes, two radical ideas at the time. It desperately needed the expansions to really make it work and put flesh on the bones.

BE was a fun game that felt pretty complete in terms of core features. The major problem with BE was the OP trade routes. Every game was just spam cities and trade routes as fast as possible, beeline to your affinity techs and win. It desperately needed the patches that reworked trade routes. Now the expansion does add new content like water cities, hybrid affinities, new diplomacy and artifacts that enrich the game. These features were not technically necessary but by adding them, they make the game much more interesting IMO.

I think a big difference between civ and BE is the fact that one is historical while the other is scifi. History is in the past so it is known. For example, we know religion played a huge role in history so a religion system is not optional, it is a "must-have" feature in any historical civ game. Whereas the future is unknown. So what scifi features to put in a BE game will be more open-ended. So, for example, water cities will be a very obvious feature to put in a BE game, but they won't quite feel as "must-have" as say religion.

2. The reason I think the game needs two more expansions is twofold. Firstly the game has many problems, health system is bland and uninteresting, diplomacy isn't great by any means, hybrids are unfinished, small unit roster, short games ect ect.. And secondly the game needs to capture the "it" factor which it can get from more immersion within the game, and fleshing out affinities as a core part of BE. Not to mention that if you sell an expansion you also need to add something new to the game as well, so I guess my reasoning is threefold.

Speaking of the health system, I personally feel like it would be better to have two separate systems for health and happiness. Have a health system like in civ4 that is local and affects city growth. And have a global happiness system like in civ5 that could spawn rebel units. One area of BE that is really missing in my opinion is the concept of civil wars and rebellions. Considering how philosophically powerful and transformative affinities are, you would think that they could cause some major schisms in your society. I mean, if some of your population want to go harmony but you go purity, I would think that the harmony population might try to revolt and split because their values and ideals are so opposite your the main affinity.

I would also add that the areas that you want fixed could be adressed in a couples patches + 1 expansion rather than 2 expansions. But debating which option is better would be nitpicky. :)

I just think it restricts our ability to use the tech web as it was meant to be, a tech web you can feel free to explore.

I think that was definitely true for BE vanilla. I would always just beeline for the leaf techs that gave me my preferred affinity with no regard to the tech itself. In the late game, I would often grab techs that I literally did not care about, but I just wanted the affinity points in order to level up. But I do feel like RT made progress towards fixing this. By spreading affinity points and adding hybrid points, more techs have value now. I have found myself getting techs that I never cared about before because I wanted what the techs offered and I was ok with getting affinity points in other affinities since I would be getting some hybrid bonuses and maybe unlock a good hybrid unit.

I actually think that players are free to explore the tech web for the units and buildings it offers if they want to and let the affinity points fall where they may. It is just not an optimal way to play so many players don't want to do it.

I think the problem is more with the victory conditions. When you have a multi-directional tech web and certain victory conditions only require certain techs, then players are going to ignore certain parts of the tech web. Civ5 is different because it uses a linear tech tree with victory conditions at the end so players basically have to research everything anyway.

4.To discuss your point on the tech web having nothing left if affinities are removed, i'd say that if you have to rely on affinity buildings, and units to make your tech web interesting, you have failed to make a proper tech web.

Well, I agree that the tech web should be interesting. I guess my question is how do you do that when so much of your world is going to be connected to an affinity? If the tech web is separate from affinities, then everything in your tech web has to be generic, non-affinity stuff. How do you keep the tech web interesting when it can only contain those non-affinity generic stuff? So, I think keeping the tech web interesting, could be a challenge. Your tech web can contain basic units pre-upgrade like infantry or a rover or a carrier and it can contain basic buildings like a trade depot or a clinic or a factory. But the cool stuff like a neurolab has to be moved over to the affinity system.

In terms of my affinity idea, I am afraid I didn't explain myself well. What I meant to say is that science points would generate affnity points that could then be used to level up your affinity. That is what I meant to say, so, 8 science per turn would generate 8 points that could be used in your "My affinity Tree". An additional comment I had meant to make was that I would like for this affinity tree, to solely use this science per turn income to unlock everything affinity related, but I wouldn't be 100% against having a sort of tech requirement if anything was too strong (i.e. Unlock at least 10 techs before getting unit A or w/e.) That being said, I think my original systems is superior in that it makes more sense intuitively, and strong units could be moved farther down the affinity trees to be made harder to get.

I do have a question and forgive me if you mentioned it in the video and I missed it. In your system, would players pick an affinity first like with ideologies or would they be free to pick policies from different affinities like social policies? So, for example, can the player mix and match? Can they use that 8 science per turn on an supremacy policy and then a few turns later, use it for a harmony policy?

As a follow up to my huge post above, perhaps the best way to deal with the tech web v affinity issue would be to scrap the tech web completely, and scrap the virtue system too. Instead, just have 6 separate "affinity trees". These affinity trees would have both virtues/policies as well as techs unique to that affinity. Essentially, each affinity would get their own unique and separate "tech tree". I also think each affinity tree should have divergent branches for pacifist and aggressive versions of each affinity. So players could specialize in a pacifist supremacy or aggressive supremacy.

SupremacyKing2 said:
Your experience with civ5 vanilla and BE is very interesting to me because it is almost the mirror opposite of my experience. I felt like civ5 vanilla was a shell of a game because it was missing some really key historical concepts. It did not have trade routes, espionage nor any religion system! In addition, horseman were hugely OP. You could take cities in the classical age with just 4-5 horseman. You did not even need any ranged units. Also, units were too soft so they were one shot killed a lot (This was fixed in the expansions that increased HP to 100 points instead of 10). So, for these reasons, I feel like civ5 vanilla was basically a prototype designed to test 1upt and hexes, two radical ideas at the time. It desperately needed the expansions to really make it work and put flesh on the bones.

What I remember about Civ V's release version was the bugged puppet city AI that made the game virtually unplayable.

Vanilla Civ V was so bad that after playing a game or two initially, I didn't play the game for almost a year and a half after it came out.

I still don't have BE but from my lurking on these forums it does seem that BE's release version was much better than V's.

What I remember about Civ V's release version was the bugged puppet city AI that made the game virtually unplayable.

Vanilla Civ V was so bad that after playing a game or two initially, I didn't play the game for almost a year and a half after it came out.

I still don't have BE but from my lurking on these forums it does seem that BE's release version was much better than V's.

Yeah, civ5 vanilla was horrible on release. But most people are comparing BE to Brave New World not civ5 vanilla.

Civ5 and BE have two very different themes (historical vs scifi) which I think makes a direct comparison a bit tricky. How can we really say that for example civ5's ideologies are great but BE's affinities suck because they are tied to science? We can discuss how BE's affinities work or how we think they should work but just saying they are not as good as BE's ideologies, is a somewhat false comparison. Affinities and ideologies are very different thematically. Affinities represent a fundamental transformation of your society on both a technological and cultural level whereas ideologies are a philosophical shift. A society that has gone deep into a specific affinity should not be able to ever change to a different affinity whereas a society that is deeply devoted to one ideology can change to a different one (ie fall of the Soviet Union). So mechanically, we would expect affinities and ideologies to work differently.

SupremacyKing2 said:
Yeah, civ5 vanilla was horrible on release. But most people are comparing BE to Brave New World not civ5 vanilla.

Which isn't a wholly fair comparison, though I would agree with those who have argued that it's not unreasonable to expect BE to have "learned something" from Civ V's (including expansions) development process.

SupremacyKing2 said:
Civ5 and BE have two very different themes (historical vs scifi) which I think makes a direct comparison a bit tricky

I don't think that's true at all. Civ BE has been called a reskin of Civ V. IMO that's a bit unjust but the game uses Civ V's engine and most of the gameplay mechanics are all but identical.

Direct comparisons are warranted and I don't think they should be particularly tricky. That's if you're talking about gameplay mechanics, AI behavior, things that can be discussed objectively. Comparison between the historical setting of Civ V and BE's scifi setting is not merely tricky but largely pointless--it's a matter of pure opinion which is better.

SupremacyKing2 said:
How can we really say that for example civ5's ideologies are great but BE's affinities suck because they are tied to science? We can discuss how BE's affinities work or how we think they should work but just saying they are not as good as BE's ideologies, is a somewhat false comparison. Affinities and ideologies are very different thematically. Affinities represent a fundamental transformation of your society on both a technological and cultural level whereas ideologies are a philosophical shift. A society that has gone deep into a specific affinity should not be able to ever change to a different affinity whereas a society that is deeply devoted to one ideology can change to a different one (ie fall of the Soviet Union). So mechanically, we would expect affinities and ideologies to work differently.

Well, thematically I agree with you. But in terms of gameplay mechanics I think that the affinity system as it exists in BE (and my opinion is based pretty much on what higher-level players like Acken and others have reported in this forum) fails in that:
-It doesn't provide enough differentiation in gameplay styles between different affinities
-It makes the focus on science even more 1-dimensional than it is in Civ V
-The AI doesn't know how to use it properly

Given the truth of what you're saying viz. affinities vs. ideologies, why couldn't an entirely new system for affinities, with little or no resemblance to any previous system found in a Civ game, have been created?
Instead they just sort of tacked it on to an existing system, and they chose the system (science/technology) which is already the primary focus of all the Civ games. One of the things I liked about Civ V's ideologies/social policies was that it made me focus on/think about culture in a way that in previous Civ games I had only really focused on science.

Civ5 and BE have two very different themes (historical vs scifi) which I think makes a direct comparison a bit tricky. How can we really say that for example civ5's ideologies are great

We can't - ideologies were BNW's big misstep...

but BE's affinities suck because they are tied to science? We can discuss how BE's affinities work or how we think they should work but just saying they are not as good as BE's ideologies, is a somewhat false comparison. Affinities and ideologies are very different thematically. Affinities represent a fundamental transformation of your society on both a technological and cultural level whereas ideologies are a philosophical shift.

Which makes it all the stranger that, of the two, ideologies have by far the more significant impact on gameplay, and are harder to transition between (as you suffer penalties for doing so while in BNW you can just switch to a different tech path and up your points in a different affinity).

I don't think that's true at all. Civ BE has been called a reskin of Civ V. IMO that's a bit unjust but the game uses Civ V's engine and most of the gameplay mechanics are all but identical.
Just a technical point of note but you'll find code from all Civilisation games around the (active) Civilisation codebase. Or at least, most of them. To say it uses the same engine as CiV, especially given the changes to the rendering pipeline in Rising Tide, demonstrates as lack of familiarity with the specifics.

As a software developer myself, I do wish people would stop making sweeping generalisations about the technical aspect of a product to win Internet Points.

But for the record I think Supremacy was talking more about the subjective so you are right in that there is no right answer there (only opinion), which undermines that entire paragraph anyhow :p

Gorbles said:
Just a technical point of note but you'll find code from all Civilisation games around the (active) Civilisation codebase. Or at least, most of them. To say it uses the same engine as CiV, especially given the changes to the rendering pipeline in Rising Tide, demonstrates as lack of familiarity with the specifics.

As a software developer myself, I do wish people would stop making sweeping generalisations about the technical aspect of a product to win Internet Points.

Okay, sorry, I adjust my point to "it's so similar to Civ V, it might as well as use the same engine, and it's much more similar to Civ V than it is to any other Civ game which apparently it also has the code of."

Gorbles said:
But for the record I think Supremacy was talking more about the subjective so you are right in that there is no right answer there (only opinion), which undermines that entire paragraph anyhow
Opinions differ as to how far they are consistent with the facts. This pretense that because opinion is involved, some measure of objective discussion is impossible seems silly to me. We can differ legitimately as to what we would prefer but the mechanics work the way they work.

PhilBowles said:
We can't - ideologies were BNW's big misstep...

Really? Why do you think so?

That wasn't my pretense at all, nor did I make any pretense. I know it's a common theme in most threads, but could we avoid the attempts at semantic loopholes and oneupmanship? I meant it undermined your paragraph about claiming the similarities between the games as to use them as a basis for comparison.

CiV made some deep mechanical changes to Civilisation as a whole but barring those it was still the same game. A graphical reskin with some deep and far-reaching additions. Paradoxical, perhaps? Almost like BE, really, the tech put in place for the Beyond Earth engine is far-reaching whether or not people appreciate the implementation. Much like how the tile system in CiV (from Civ 4) still attracts detractors.

If you want to claim that CiV is so similar to BE that it makes direct comparison easy, you're handwaving anything that makes BE unique, which does detract from the strength of your argument. BE is hard to compare to CiV on a number of levels, much like CiV to Civ 4, Civ 4 to Civ 3, and so on. You can say what you personally find similar? I dunno, we hit Opinionland again and nobody ever agrees to disagree. It'd be much easier if folks did, from time to time!

I mean what are you trying to argue? That BE and CiV are similar, so similar Supremacy can't extol the difficulties in a direct comparison? That's an opinion argument again, and you've said yourself you don't even own BE which puts you at a huge disadvantage on every level possible. At the very least perhaps listen to the people who own the product, regardless if they like it, dislike it, agree with you, or disagree with you.

Gorbles said:
I meant it undermined your paragraph about claiming the similarities between the games as to use them as a basis for comparison.

But that's exactly what I'm talking about. Civ BE largely works the same way as Civ V, objectively. The mechanics are basically the same, even if the aesthetics are different.

And I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, but it is the case.

Gorbles said:
I mean what are you trying to argue? That BE and CiV are similar, so similar Supremacy can't extol the difficulties in a direct comparison? That's an opinion argument again, and you've said yourself you don't even own BE which puts you at a huge disadvantage on every level possible. At the very least perhaps listen to the people who own the product, regardless if they like it, dislike it, agree with you, or disagree with you.

Okay, first of all Supremacy can argue what he likes. I'm not trying to convince him he's wrong, but merely to state my different opinion. I do think that it is wrong to say that the different themes of the game mean that they are too different to be compared--I think that is a question best resolved by reference to the game mechanics (as then we could say that two different skins of the same game were uncomparable by virtue of one having a historical theme and the other having a scifi theme).

Second, I might ask you the same question: you were the one who accused me of "mak[ing] sweeping generalisations about the technical aspects of a product in order to win Internet Points." What Internet Points was I supposed to be winning here?

And third:
I'm arguing that many of the systems in Civ V have direct analogues in BE that work the same way as they did in Civ V.

For instance, the "Virtues" work virtually the same way as the social policies in CiV (even though the bonuses themselves are different). Whereas one difference between V and IV is that both have a specialist/GP generation system, but V's works differently from IV's in that the meter for each separate type of GP is separate whereas in IV it was consolidated so you had a chance of popping GPs depending on the mixture of points you had.

You have the tech web instead of the tree, and the affinities instead of the ideologies, but even those systems are not as different as, say, combat in Civ IV vs. combat in Civ V (and combat in BE is, again, fundamentally identical to the combat in Civ V with a few variations such as what the units do and so forth).

That is the kind of thing I'm talking about. It is much easier to find direct analogues between the systems of V and BE than it is to find direct analogues between V and IV. IV doesn't have social policies or anything remotely similar to them, it has a manageable slider for culture, espionage, science, and gold, it doesn't have city-states/trading posts, trade routes are an entirely passive mechanic, there is STACKING rather than 1-upt, it has the whip...I mean, the list goes on and on.

It really strains credulity to argue that BE is as different from V as V is from IV.

Now, all this being said I don't think the similarities between the games is bad or good, I just think that it objectively (and obviously) exists. I've seen enough BE and played enough Civ V to recognize it.
If you don't want to admit it, fine, well, we can just agree to disagree I suppose.

Civ BE largely works the same way as Civ V, objectively. The mechanics are basically the same, even if the aesthetics are different.

And third:
I'm arguing that many of the systems in Civ V have direct analogues in BE that work the same way as they did in Civ V.

Yes the two games have some fundamental similarities since they are both civ game. They both have hexes and use 1upt. But there are also big differences between civ5 and BERT that go beyond just aesthetics. Affinities work very differently than ideologies. Trade routes work very differently in both games. The tech web works differently than the tech tree. And BERT has new features that have no direct comparison with civ5, like diplo traits, artifact system and the orbital layer. So, not everything has a 1-1 correlation between the two games.

SupremacyKing2 said:
Yes the two games have some fundamental similarities since they are both civ game. They both have hexes and use 1upt. But there are also big differences between civ5 and BERT that go beyond just aesthetics. Affinities work very differently than ideologies. Trade routes work very differently in both games. The tech web works differently than the tech tree. And BERT has new features that have no direct comparison with civ5, like diplo traits, artifact system and the orbital layer. So, not everything has a 1-1 correlation between the two games.

All true, and all valid points. I wasn't trying to suggest that all the game systems are 1-1 correlated, just that there are more such correlations between BE and V than there are between V and IV (or V and even older games).

Saying that the two games "work the same way, objectively" overstated the case, certainly. But I still maintain they are more similar to each other than either is to any other Civ game.

I want to repeat again I'm not saying that this is a problem, but it is in fact true.

What massive advancements did Civ III have to Civ IV? The only thing this kinda of argument repeatedly circles around is "well there were large changes to the tile system in CiV", yes, that is an observable fact, but that is literally about it. Everything else is a simple variant of iterative design; the change to 1UPT / hex tiles is also technically-speaking an iterative improvement but the magnitude and impact on game systems is larger than any other change to the game I've experienced myself.

There were big changes in CiV. There were changes throughout the series across the history of the game(s). One does not invalidate the other.

The games do not work the same way, and as such direct comparisons are inherently flawed. Thankyou for agreeing that you did, in fact, overstate your case, though. That's what this boils down to. You don't even own BE and you're going "welp they have hexes and 1UPT and the same resources so obviously the games are directly comparable", to which the counterargument is I'm afraid "lol nope". If you owned the game you would know this.

I mean, you could make the argument that they are directly comparable because the impact of changes was so insignificant (which is what I think you're trying to do, correct me if I'm wrong), but if we're going to be that abstract and dismissive of innovation within the series then the only patch notes the game series ever had would be:

1. Changed multiple units per tile to one unit per tile.

2. Increased faces of all tiles to six from four.​

And some aesthetic polish.

You're attempting to subvert the impact of the changes in a game and an expansion pack neither of which you have never played! Why? What gain do you get from this? What is the end point of this debate about hypotheticals which has no impact on your entertainment value? Are you deconstructing the video, or are you suggesting ways to improve the game based on YouTube videos from your own perspective? In which case the Ideas and Suggestions subforum is probably your best bet, instead of whatever you're attempting to argue in this thread.

Also I would use emotes to convey emotion but I dislike the Christmas hats and how they mess up the line-height of rendered posts in-thread. Sorry if any of this comes across brusque as a consequence, my actual emotion is somewhat akin to confusion.

All true, and all valid points. I wasn't trying to suggest that all the game systems are 1-1 correlated, just that there are more such correlations between BE and V than there are between V and IV (or V and even older games).

Well both civ4 and civ5 have differences and BE and civ5 have differences. The question becomes which differences are more fundamental. Civ4 and civ5 share the same theme, both being historical civ. The big difference is the change from mupt to 1upt. BERT and civ5 share the same underlying mechanic of hexes and 1upt but have very different themes and several other different game systems as mentioned before. So, if you want to say that civ5 and BERT are more easily compared to each other because they share a core mechanic like 1upt which underpins a lot of other game features, that's an argument to be made. But as you concede, there are still lots of other big differences between the games. So even if you do try to compare civ5 and BERT on the basis on the shared engine, that comparison should be tempered by the understanding of the differences.

You are ignoring the actual specific arguments that I made and attacking a strawman.
I will list indications of this:

Gorbles said:
What massive advancements did Civ III have to Civ IV?

Gorbles said:
dismissive of innovation

Gorbles said:
attempting to subvert

All of these quoted phrases indicate you are arguing against something I am not arguing. I am not trying to "subvert" anything, not trying to be "dismissive of" anything, not suggesting that BE did not have enough "massive advancements" from its predecessor, Civ V.
All of this is your perception only.

Gorbles said:
Why? What gain do you get from this? What is the end point of this debate about hypotheticals which has no impact on your entertainment value? Are you deconstructing the video, or are you suggesting ways to improve the game based on YouTube videos from your own perspective? In which case the Ideas and Suggestions subforum is probably your best bet, instead of whatever you're attempting to argue in this thread.

I am trying to participate in a conversation about the direction of the Civ series moving forward. As I have told you before I am heavily invested in this series whether I have BE or not. I don't think my not owning BE invalidates everything I have to say about the game, and certainly doesn't prevent me from learning about it through other media.

The specific things that I actually argued can be viewed in the thread above. I commented that the release state of V was worse than the release state of BE (from my own experience with V and from what I read on these forums about BE), that BE and V were similar and directly comparable, and what I thought were some problems with the Affinity system (or rather, ways it fell short of what I would have liked to see).

Top Bottom