Best expansionist Civ

Worker speed is much more important in the early game. If you can get your tiles improved quickly, you'll have more turns of high pop growth and shield production, which can provide a great foundation for your civ for the rest of the game. By the late game you should have oodles of slave workers so cleaning up pollution should not be an issue at all.

I have found that whenever i play as America, it never seems to work well in the begining. Never. Not once have i established a decent footing before 1200AB, give or take a century. By what i have found, China has the best use of industrious trait in vanilla, followed probably by Persia. America i would say is one of the worse early industrious nations, and works best in the industrious and modern times.

So the trait combo of exp + ind theoretically both work together to give you a great early start.

keyword there in theory. America is good because its expasionistic trait works well in the begining of the game, and its industrious trait works well later on in the game. this allows America to dominate at all times in the game. I would say that America is in the top 3-5 best civs. At least in vanilla

I've never used America though. Hope that doesn't make me unpatriotic.

of course it does!!!

Spoiler :
JK. really, i was jk

In the original Civ3 Vanilla lineup there were six traits [fifteen combinations] and sixteen tribes. Every combination was used at least once, with Militarist/Religious being used twice [Japan, Aztecs].

After PTW and Conquests, there were 31 tribes and 8 traits (28 combinations). In order to get each trait combo used once, some civs had their strengths changed.

England went from Commercial/Expansionist to Commercial/Seafaring
Aztecs went from Militaristic/Relgious to Militaristic/Agricultural
Iroquoi were changed completely; Religious/Expansionist to Agricultural/Commercial.

The Com/Exp combo now belongs to the Hittites, and the Rel/Exp combo belongs [very fittingly, historically speaking] to the Arabs.

[There may have been more changes, as 8 tribes were added with PTW but the two new traits were, I think, not added until Conquests. I don't know for sure though, as I didn't purchase any of the expansion packs until it all came together in Complete.]
Thansk for summing it up! :goodjob:

What was the 2 new traits?

Probably. I also think it's strange.

Religious and umm... maybe expansionist would be more true.

But maybe some other tribe is that, and maybe it would be too little exciting if two had the same traits.

Religious and expansionist seems to fit.

Religious and expansionist seems to fit.

oh hogwash. I think that religous is, if not the worst or vanilla traits, second worst. (commercial i think is pretty bad) i think that religous is usefull with nothing. the best traits with expansionist is industrious (USA) and scientific (Russia)

is there some secret to religous i am missing besides less chance of culture flipping and faster revolts?

oh hogwash. I think that religous is, if not the worst or vanilla traits, second worst. (commercial i think is pretty bad) i think that religous is usefull with nothing. the best traits with expansionist is industrious (USA) and scientific (Russia)
Commercial is the best trait except industrious. Nothing else comes even close. Despite the crappy UU, France rulz.

The commercial trait reduces corruption (increases the OCN by 25% or something like that) and the center city tile has increased commerce (an additional 2gpt for cities or 3gpt in metropolises in C3C, don't know if it was different earlier).

what is good about it?!?!?!?! What does it do.
If you don't know what it does, perhaps you shouldn't disparage it? :rolleyes:

It reduces corruption by about 25%. That's huge.

Edit: crosspost with TimB who is more specific about the trait - and it didn't change from vanilla to C3c, although the manner in which corruption is calculated did.

what is good about it?!?!?!?! What does it do.

Half price Marketplaces, banks, etc.!!! :)
And extra commerce coming in (i can't remember offhand the numbers, but something like an extra commerce in village center, an extra couple (or three?) commerces in city centers, and more in Metro centers. It adds up, especially the more villages/cities/metros you have!!

Wow--Xposts Galore!!

If you don't know what it does, perhaps you shouldn't disparage it? :rolleyes:

well, all i remember is that when i first got the game, i looked up what all the traits meant, and i remembered that the 3 good ones were scientific, expationist, and industrious, then maybe militaristic...

after that i forgot what the others were, and i knew they weren't that great...

ps-thanks for 3 ppl tellin me

well, all i remember is that when i first got the game, i looked up what all the traits meant, and i remembered that the 3 good ones were scientific, expationist, and industrious, then maybe militaristic...

after that i forgot what the others were, and i knew they weren't that great...

ps-thanks for 3 ppl tellin me
I would order them:

Industrious
Commercial
Scientific
Militaristic
Religious
Expansionist

In C3C, there are two new traits: Agricultural and Seafaring. Agricultural is by far the strongest trait and, since Industrious was toned down, I think that Commercial now edges it out. Seafaring depends on the kind of map. It can be quite powerful or totally useless.

The traits themselves are hard-coded but you can have any number. If you have none, the first wonder you build completes your GA :crazyeye:

Top Bottom