Best Retirement Age for Full Benefits

What is the best age for full retirement benefits?

• Under 60 years old

Votes: 2 28.6%

Votes: 1 14.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Over 70

• Total voters

Birdjaguar

Hanafubuki
Super Moderator
Supporter
France is struggling to raise its retirement age from 62 to 64 against significant opposition. Full retirement age varies from country to country. What do you think is the best age for full pension payments?

Opinion: Macron is dragging France’s retirement age out of the 17th century​

[IMG alt="David A. Andelman"]https://media.cnn.com/api/v1/images/stellar/prod/150325082152-social-gfx-cnn-logo.jpg?q=x_2,y_0,h_898,w_1596,c_crop/h_270,w_480/c_thumb,g_face,w_100,h_100[/IMG]
Opinion by David A. Andelman
Updated 2:58 PM EST, Wed January 11, 2023

I'll say 64. There's a little bit of very simple math trickery in it, but follow that the average person has the first 16 years of their life in growing up and education, then that means 3/4 of their life up to that point has been spent in the workforce. That seems like a fair bargain to me.

An under 60 vote! ~20 years of full pension; 22 years of childhood and schooling to get a degree; 50% of one's life being taken care of by others.

Here it's 65. Probably be higher sndd less when I get there. Boomers gonna boomer

An under 60 vote! ~20 years of full pension; 22 years of childhood and schooling to get a degree; 50% of one's life being taken care of by others.
Pension age is time you've paid for (or should be), sadly government here just uses National Insurance as tax revenue.
I find it depressing that we can't afford to let people retire as early as we did 70 years ago. Are we really struggling so much or is the wealth just being redistributed upwards?
Early retirement is still a thing for the wealthy, its just the ordinary people, often those who have worked in the hardest physical jobs all their lives who are being expected to work for longer.

edit: retirement age of 60 for all.

Pension age is time you've paid for (or should be), sadly government here just uses National Insurance as tax revenue.
I find it depressing that we can't afford to let people retire as early as we did 70 years ago. Are we really struggling so much or is the wealth just being redistributed upwards?
Early retirement is still a thing for the wealthy, its just the ordinary people, often those who have worked in the hardest physical jobs all their lives who are being expected to work for longer.

edit: retirement age of 60 for all.

Different population pyramid back then (less old peope more young). Higher taxes as well

I find it depressing that we can't afford to let people retire as early as we did 70 years ago.
Is that necessarily the case? I mean even in proportion to their population, I would imagine there were more destitute seniors in the 1950’s than there are today. Then also adjust for the kinds of work people were doing then: much more heavy manual labor and fewer desk jobs.

Is that necessarily the case? I mean even in proportion to their population, I would imagine there were more destitute seniors in the 1950’s than there are today. Then also adjust for the kinds of work people were doing then: much more heavy manual labor and fewer desk jobs.
Anyone who is depending on a state pension for their income is going to be poor but we are being told that this country, one of the worlds richest, can't afford to start paying it until we are 69, and some Tories are talking about raising it to 75.

Anyone who is depending on a state pension for their income is going to be poor but we are being told that this country, one of the worlds richest, can't afford to start paying it until we are 69, and some Tories are talking about raising it to 75.
Gotta fund those tax cuts!!

Here it's been known about since the 90's. Multiple governments kick can down the road.

Gotta fund those tax cuts!!

Here it's been known about since the 90's. Multiple governments kick can down the road.
We've actually got the highest taxes since the 1950s. Well, for those who pay them.
For large corporations and the very wealthy paying taxes is just optional ofc.

Top Bottom