Best Unique Units, a discussion and Poll

best UUs in the game? (vote for up to 10)

• Eagle Warrior (Aztecs)

Votes: 53 41.4%
  • War-Cart (Sumeria)

Votes: 77 60.2%
  • Hoplite (Greece)

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Maryannu Chariot Archer (Egypt)

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Viking Longship (Norway)

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • Legion (Rome)

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • Ngao Mbeba (Kongo)

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Saka Horse Archer (Scythia)

Votes: 22 17.2%
  • Varu (India)

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • Berserker (Hardrada)

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Crouching Tiger (China)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Mamluk (Arabia)

Votes: 47 36.7%
  • Samurai (Japan)

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Winged Hussar (Poland)

Votes: 18 14.1%
  • Conquistador (Spain)

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • Sea Dog (England)

• Redcoat (Victoria)

Votes: 27 21.1%
  • Garde Imperiale (France)

• Cossack (Russia)

Votes: 23 18.0%
  • Rough Rider (Roosevelt)

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Minas Geraes (Brazil)

Votes: 18 14.1%
  • U-Boat (Germany)

• Digger (Australia)

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • P-51 Mustang (America)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Immortal (Persia)

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • Hypaspist (Macedomn)

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Hetairoi (Alexander)

Votes: 12 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can someone explain why they voted for saka horse archers? I mean, I like Scythia, but not saka horse archers.

Because, as others have mentioned, people can't separate the UU from the civ. Saka units aren't really all that great but people can't seem to assess their value without including the fact that the civ ability allows players to produce two UU's at a time. This is an especially potent example of the bias that comes with associating the UUs specifically with the civs that host them due to the fact that the double unit feature is not specifically a trait of the saka horse archer itself, but rather the civ that hosts it.

One might say it's splitting hairs, but it's a bias nonetheless. After all, if assessing UU strength doesn't stop at the UU, then in reality you're just back to assessing overall Civ strength.

As a different example, I wouldn't argue that the Redcoat is a strong UU by including the fact that you get one for free whenever you settle or conquer a city that isn't on your home continent purely on the basis of the fact that that is not a feature of the Redcoat, but a feature of playing as England.

Last edited:
Good point in regards to worker efficiency in general, but I was referring to the Aztec worker-steal bonus. If you enslave a worker and set it to build district at turn 50, it will give you about 20 hammers (whatever 20% of the district cost is.) If you enslave a worker and set it to build district at turn 150, it will give you about 40 hammers (whatever 20% of the cost is.) Because it's a percentage rather than a flat X hammers, they scale with the escalating costs.
at turn 150, you won't find as many warriors to kill with your eagle warriors. That's not what they are about.

I haven't even played a game with 10 different civs yet, I think. Haven't tried the Mamluks, but of those I have tried so far, the Cart just owns. Faster than a scout (also good for chasing barbarian scouts) + can kill things it encounters (unlike the scout) + 2-3 of them take out early cities very easily :D Oh, and available from turn 1, I find that later unique units are much less attractive, sometimes I won't even bother building those.

Because, as others have mentioned, people can't separate the UU from the civ. Saka units aren't really all that great but people can't seem to assess their value without including the fact that the civ ability allows players to produce two UU's at a time. This is an especially potent example of the bias that comes with associating the UUs specifically with the civs that host them due to the fact that the double unit feature is not specifically a trait of the saka horse archer itself, but rather the civ that hosts it.

One might say it's splitting hairs, but it's a bias nonetheless. After all, if assessing UU strength doesn't stop at the UU, then in reality you're just back to assessing overall Civ strength.

As a different example, I wouldn't argue that the Redcoat is a strong UU by including the fact that you get one for free whenever you settle or conquer a city that isn't on your home continent purely on the basis of the fact that that is not a feature of the Redcoat, but a feature of playing as England.

According to the OP, it does take into account abilities directly related to the UU. For example, Rough Riders + Teddy's +5 strength on home continent.

Legions. They're so much tougher than swordsmen, and they come at just the right time. I never got the love for war carts - they didn't seem that tough to me. I want to love the Maryannu Chariot, but it goes obsolete so fast, and it's not that much better than archers.

Three legions, a battering ram and a couple of archers, and no city in the ancient or classical eras can survive long, walls or not.

Three legions, a battering ram and a couple of archers, and no city in the ancient or classical eras can survive long, walls or not.
I've read posts like this before, and I wonder why people think like that. The Legion has 40 melee strength, that's just 4 more than a normal swordsman and no bonus against cities. That means if you don't choose oligarchy, other civ's regular swordsman is maybe on par with your legion if they chose it and the Aztec swordsman is most certainly stronger than the legion at that time already. The legion has it strength, sure, and the chopping is nice and the fort can be a blessing in some situations. But for aggressive conquering? With Macedon in the game, the Hypaspist outshines the Legion in conquering imho. The +5 against districts (that includes cities) and the +50% support bonus makes it raze city walls and health like no other unit in classical times.

question: what does 50% support bonus mean? I admit I'm clueless on this. I read it as requiring 50% more maintenance, but that isn't exactly a bonus.

Eagle Warrior: While it isn't quite as powerful as the Sumerian Donkey-Cart, it doesn't need to be. With some Archers behind us, the Eagle Warrior and I can stomp everyone we meet, even into the early Classical Era. What more does the Donkey-Cart offer? Dead is dead. Meanwhile, 10-20 free Builders so early on are game-changing, possibly game-breaking (and let's not forget that Aztec Builders are better than most, because they can help build Districts).

question: what does 50% support bonus mean? I admit I'm clueless on this. I read it as requiring 50% more maintenance, but that isn't exactly a bonus.
Support bonus is what you receive when you have a unit in a neighboring tile (+2 for every adjacent unit). The hoplite bonus is a bonus to support bonus as well afaik (+10 for every adjacent hoplite). Flanking is also a kind of support bonus (also +2 for every adjacent unit). 50% can be big if you have 3 units adjacent. If it is just +1 in the end, it's not that much a factor.
Makes you wish the Hypaspist get the hoplite promotion for doubled support bonus though.

Top Bottom