Beta 11

Is there supposed to be a good place for a city in Bavaria? I just started a Germany game and I don't think there's any really decent spot between Augsburg and Prague...

Also when Augsburg flips it becomes Ulm.

Is there supposed to be a good place for a city in Bavaria? I just started a Germany game and I don't think there's any really decent spot between Augsburg and Prague...

Also when Augsburg flips it becomes Ulm.

I forgot about that. I will fix the Ulm issue.

What was the most historically important city in Bavaria in that period.

Bugfix: Fixed the Polish city names, Poznan no longer appears as Poz
Nice!

Would you provide me with the Polish and Lithuanian namemaps so I can update the Baltic region?

Since Lithuanian namemap is a copy of Polish one, should both maps be based on the revisions by Ogi123?

Nice!

Would you provide me with the Polish and Lithuanian namemaps so I can update the Baltic region?

Since Lithuanian namemap is a copy of Polish one, should both maps be based on the revisions by Ogi123?

That would be great. Here are the Polish and Lithuanian maps, they are a copy of each other, but shouldn't be.

On the same note, do you know of any mods that feature units speaking Lithuanian. This is the only language that we don't have represented in the game, we already have Hungarian, Bulgarian and Polish.

Attachments

• PolandLithuaniaCityNames.zip
    84.2 KB · Views: 46
What was the most historically important city in Bavaria in that period.

In the historical boundaries of the stem duchy Bavaria Salzburg, in the in-game boundaries probably Regensburg on the red spot.

Civ4ScreenShot0001.jpg

But honestly, i don't think the change was for the best: there is really no space for a city in Bavaria if you don't merge it with Salzburg.
Also, Lübeck never was part of Saxony either, so the change is a bit incomplete.

Another thing: this is not where Basle is (which is btw BasEL in german). Basel would be west of the Cow or the spot on the Cow itself, but this is far to north. Freiburg would be more fitting there.

I also noticet that the Germans rarely found Cologne (Köln), which was with Augsburg the biggest city in Germany in the middle ages. Should be better represantet in my opinion.

One last thing: it is just me, or is Germany really a bit low on food-ressources? Would be suprised if it has more than 10, even if you include Austria and Bohemia. Strikes me a bit low.

And please excuse my english, i just noticed that it is far more easier to read than to write in this language.

In the historical boundaries of the stem duchy Bavaria Salzburg, in the in-game boundaries probably Regensburg on the red spot.

But honestly, i don't think the change was for the best: there is really no space for a city in Bavaria if you don't merge it with Salzburg.
Also, Lübeck never was part of Saxony either, so the change is a bit incomplete.

Another thing: this is not where Basle is (which is btw BasEL in german). Basel would be west of the Cow or the spot on the Cow itself, but this is far to north. Freiburg would be more fitting there.

I also noticet that the Germans rarely found Cologne (Köln), which was with Augsburg the biggest city in Germany in the middle ages. Should be better represantet in my opinion.

One last thing: it is just me, or is Germany really a bit low on food-ressources? Would be suprised if it has more than 10, even if you include Austria and Bohemia. Strikes me a bit low.

And please excuse my english, i just noticed that it is far more easier to read than to write in this language.

Sigh... There was someone some time ago (buried in all the threads), who made a huge deal of how Augsburg had to be part of Swabia not Bavaria.

The reason why there is no good spot in Bavaria is becuase of all the dense forest. I will clean some of it and add some food resources and we can make a good spot for Regensburg. For the last few betas, Germany was consistently ahistroically strong, so we didn't want to buff them more than what they were. I think they are fine now and can safely add some food to the region.

I will seew hat the deal is with Köln, but we cannot represent all the important cities as the map isn't big enough. If we shuffle the resources in the region we can make the city spot attractive, but we have to be careful not to mess up the overall balance.

As for Lübeck, it was added to the map before we had provinces. We cannot represent all the historic regions on the map either, but Saxony should be well represented. I will look into adding another province between Saxony and Pomerania, but it may be too crowded for that. We can also change Lübeck to something else, what was the most important city in Saxony?

For Basel, would you be interested in editing the city name maps for Germany, you can adjust the city sports with the appropriate names. I can send you a WorldBuilder saved file with labels and you can edit those.

Move starting settler to open up room between Prague and capital or drop a city right next to Prague BFC for an easy razing (culture flip 99% of the time). Personally like Koblenz 2W of start and use first turn to go militarism and then a city north of Ulm on river to access Silver/Copper.
You don't need a lot of food/health to start out with due to happiness constraints. Once you hit chivalry and start the foreign campaigns both are addressed quite nicely. Early worthwhile city is Rostock (2N of Pig near Poland) for Fish, Gems, Iron and Timber .. becomes a monster later on.

Just had nice easy and smooth expansionist German game until 1120 when I checked UHV goals and Lombardy was missing: lo and behold, Genoa has to die in a fire to complete 1st goal. While it is easily doable it took me a little by surprise.

My four latest games Arabia has been Orthodox. Any one else?

can someone try to figure out why no matter which central/east european country i'm playing that i got one or more Norse Workers running around roading my land?

initial guess is that they're trying to road from Roskilde to Tønsberg, since they, due to the land brigde between Norrland and Finland, as per AI understanding, is on the same continent, hence can't sail between them

Sigh... There was someone some time ago (buried in all the threads), who made a huge deal of how Augsburg had to be part of Swabia not Bavaria.

Historically that is correct, but gameplay-wise the former solution was better in my opinion.

I will clean some of it and add some food resources and we can make a good spot for Regensburg.

As an alternativ solution, i would suggest merging Bavaria, Tirol and Salzburg together, so that Salzburg can count as the Bavarian city for the UHV. Salzburg was part of Bavaria until the 14th Century, and only came to Austria 1805, so this wouldn't be really unhistorical. Also, does Tirol really has a purpose as of now?
Of course, i loath it to found close cities just to fullfill an UHV.

We can also change Lübeck to something else, what was the most important city in Saxony?

Hamburg (red), Bremen (Yellow) and Magdeburg (blue) were pretty important, i would suggest the first to have another seaport.

Civ4ScreenShot0003.jpg

Of course, Lübeck was a pretty important city in the middle ages, so i would keep it.
If we need another city to flip for Germany, i would suggest something in the Rhine-Land, since there are some of the oldest, roman-founded cities in Germany, like Trier and, well, Cologne, and it was an economically, politically and cultural important area - the former two cities where seats of Prince-electors.

"Historically", Germany should flip the 5 stem duchies (Pretty much the area of former West Germany), Conquer and/or settle what now is Austria and East Germany, and conquer an independent Bohemia, Silesia and Pommeria, the last two from a fallen Poland.

For Basel, would you be interested in editing the city name maps for Germany, you can adjust the city sports with the appropriate names. I can send you a WorldBuilder saved file with labels and you can edit those.

I am pretty free time-wise, so i can take a look at them.

It is best that you completely delete Beta 9 first. Also, old savegames don't work with the new version.

I just started playing and I can see many changes. I did not delete it but it seems it overwrote everything when I got the new one. I'm quite thrilled that AA is already on the map and I see some new resources that I don't believe were in #9.

I'm also glad to see that it did not erase my HOF.

I must say that RFCE is probably the best civ iv scenario out there. I like it a lot more than the original RFC.

I just started playing and I can see many changes. I did not delete it but it seems it overwrote everything when I got the new one. I'm quite thrilled that AA is already on the map and I see some new resources that I don't believe were in #9.

I'm also glad to see that it did not erase my HOF.

I must say that RFCE is probably the best civ iv scenario out there. I like it a lot more than the original RFC.

Sometimes the new Beta will not overwrite everything important and that can cause strange bugs. It is even worse if you don't overwrite and the game messes up which version is which. If things work fine though, they should be fine.

I don't think removing the RFCEurope folder would destroy your HOF.

Historically that is correct, but gameplay-wise the former solution was better in my opinion.

As an alternativ solution, i would suggest merging Bavaria, Tirol and Salzburg together, so that Salzburg can count as the Bavarian city for the UHV. Salzburg was part of Bavaria until the 14th Century, and only came to Austria 1805, so this wouldn't be really unhistorical. Also, does Tirol really has a purpose as of now?
Of course, i loath it to found close cities just to fullfill an UHV.

Hamburg (red), Bremen (Yellow) and Magdeburg (blue) were pretty important, i would suggest the first to have another seaport.

View attachment 292078

Of course, Lübeck was a pretty important city in the middle ages, so i would keep it.
If we need another city to flip for Germany, i would suggest something in the Rhine-Land, since there are some of the oldest, roman-founded cities in Germany, like Trier and, well, Cologne, and it was an economically, politically and cultural important area - the former two cities where seats of Prince-electors.

"Historically", Germany should flip the 5 stem duchies (Pretty much the area of former West Germany), Conquer and/or settle what now is Austria and East Germany, and conquer an independent Bohemia, Silesia and Pommeria, the last two from a fallen Poland.

I am pretty free time-wise, so i can take a look at them.

Here is the Germany WB save with the German names.

INSTRUCTION ON HOW TO EDIT THE FILES
- make sure to use a current version of RFCE, then download the WorldBuilder (WB) file (unzip if needed)
- double-click on the WB file should get you to a civ selection screen
- select Byzantium
- then without doing anything (just tell the Pope to go away), without giving any orders or whatsoever, enter the WB mode
- then edit the labels, select a label from the top-left menu, right-click to remove a label, left-click to add a label
- when you are done with the changes, save the file and post it here for me to add to the rest of the code
- you can do the changes in several sessions so long as you select Byzantium and don't do anything

I think we can adjust the province borders so that Luebeck is in Brandenburg and we can add Hamburg. We can also enlarge Franconia and Swabia and then move/merge Bavaria, Salzburg and Tyrol (Tyrol was only a filler anyway).

Note that we cannot handle the special German characters, you will have to use Luebeck or something similar. The limitations of the game are forcing us to chose between special characters or removing the entire Russian translation, some characters vs a whole language gives us only one choice.

Attachments

• GermanyCityNames.zip
    45.3 KB · Views: 70
Top Bottom