1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Beta 12

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by AbsintheRed, Jul 13, 2011.

1. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

Hi guys. This weekend I managed to successfully move from my old place. I hope to get back to coding this week so we can get back on track.

A few notes:
    - currently spawns are based on rectangles mostly to allow fine tuning of exactly which cities would flip and which will not. Rectangles (and exceptions) allow us to specify individual tiles as opposed to whole provinces. It is probably a good idea to move this over to provinces, now that we have a more complete set of provinces, but it will take some time.
    - visualizing provinces is hard. Many of you may not realize this, but the provinces change over time. The Byz start with pretty much everything being OK or Stable, however, as soon as Arabia spawns many of those provinces become Unstable or OK. Then the Byz get hit again when Bulgaria spawns. Germany has some Austrian provinces downgraded as soon as Austria spawns and so on.

2. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

I am not the sure what the issue is with the Russian UP. The finance screen keeps corporation cost and civic city cost in the same category, however, in the code they are
    different. The Russian UP lowers the cost associated with the number of cities that you have vs the civic that you use.

I started a game with Moscow and founded a corporation, however, I did not see any issues with the maintenance cost.

3. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Hm, sry then :/
    I wasn't sure about this, just posted this based on someone's feedback
    Didn't have time to check it myself...

4. Daffy

Daffy Prince

Beta 12:
    Cordoba died stillborn in my latest Portugal game and Spain controlled all of Iberia upon Portuguese spawn :)
    Does Portugal really need 6 cities in North Africa? Tetouan is pretty small(Tanger province).
    Or just 2 cities somewhere in those 3 provinces?

Inland Hanseatic League(1/Austria):

Inland Hanseatic League(2/Portugal):

Spains performance in this game is umm.. Dominant :)
    except for the colonies ;)

5. Sian

Sian Emperor

my guess about Hanse would be that the lake are salt-water hence viable for it

still of the opinion that Hanse should be reworked so it works in Coastal or Riverside cities, given that RL Hanse was also around all way down to Colonge and Dinant (Near Liege)

Cordoba sometime run afoul on Barbs ... I've had a Ggme with Spain where they collapsed 1 turn before my spawn

6. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Ups, Lake Balaton is salt water right now? :crazyeye:
    Btw, interesting idea about Hansa spreading to riverside cities, but I'm not sure how realistic would it be if we allow it to spread to all riverside cities.
    For me it's really strange to see it in some of the russian cities 1000+ kms far from any oceans.
    Or in south Germany (around Augsburg) right where the Danube starts

7. Morholt

Morholt Prince

No, it's that the function that checks if Hansa can be build uses the isCoastalOld function which simply checks if the city is next to water of any kind. It is also founded in Novgorod every now and then.

8. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

I generated four games as Sweden, guess where it was every time? SO I said scre it and put Hansa in several cities

9. 3Miro

3Miro Deity

The Portuguese condition is to build 2 cities somewhere in the three provinces in Africa and 3 cities somewhere in the two provinces of the Islands.

10. Sian

Sian Emperor

well Absinthe ... as i stated, there is solid RL reasoning behind letting Hanse be established via rivers (would make it near universally useful for other civs than Venice, Genova, Norse and England) ... the part about how realisticly it would be to let it settle anywhere as long as it have coastal or river, is kinda double standard, given that everything else can be settled everywhere, without paying attention to how widespread they were RL

11. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

Well Sian... I'm not against it
    But not sure if it's worth the effort, and I don't know exactly how hard to solve this.
    Maybe we can add a new xml variable into the buildingschemas (this means C++ code in the SDK), but still, it may cause some additional issues if we want to restrict that the units are only able to spread it into cities with specific attributes

Also, we would have to change the executive unit to a land unit
    This is the smallest thing, but I kinda liked naval executives here

12. Sian

Sian Emperor

wouldn't the xml variables be largely pillageable from the Dike xml?

13. Veshta

Veshta Warlord

Wasn't there talk about adopting the SoI corporation system, where they spread to viable cities like religion?
    If so then it is just a matter of adding a few key inland cities as viable (probably a huge assumption on my part :))

14. Daffy

Daffy Prince

How about an amphibious corperate executive :)
    One that doesn't get the movement bonus from roads but instead from rivers would seem nice imo(or something like double movement on land, this would make a spread to extremely inland cities unlikely)

and thanks about the portuguese UHV, now I can stop spamming north africa with bad cities :)
    and I assume it's intentional that Madeira is excluded from the 'islands UHV' (spanish island?)

15. youtien

youtien Lyricist

When will random events be enabled?

16. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Not soon. There is a chance they won't be anabled at all.

17. Opera

Opera Deity

Why aren't they enabled?

Also, when is the next release due? After the mercenary rework?

18. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

We are far from the next release
    The last 2-3 weeks was very quiet, none of us had too much time lately
    3Miro planned it in the end of August, we will see how things turn out till then

19. Mowque

Mowque Hypermodernist

Good. You guys need time to live/earn a living/ find the best ways to tweak it!

20. dragodon64

dragodon64 Noble

Is there any possibility of a switch to SoI's companies system? Too often do I see corporations founded too late (like crusaders founded past 1200), in the wrong location (Teutonic Knights in Spain, Hanseatic League somewhere in the Mediterranean) and never spread (only headquarters for up to a century after founding).

I think RFCE would benefit greatly from this switch. In SoI, companies provide a huge bonus for controlling certain regions while playing a certain way (like Venetians/Genoans for controlling the Mediterranean coast and having lots of luxury trade).

For example, all crusaders would require Catholicism in city and as State Religion and agreement (at least once) to send troops for the crusade. Teutonic Knights should start preferring the south Baltic coast in the 13th century. The Hanseatic League could start spread to cities on the Baltic Sea and some of interior Germany and Poland, prefering those that have good trade infrastructure, like markets, wharves, harbors.