Beta 9 Talk

You can just upload the files to sourceforge, no need to add them to the svn three (go to files and then upload). I will look into this tonight.

How do I upload those files without adding them to the SVN three? :confused:

I was playing Norse I failed the second UHV because I was being dumb and used a settler in Denmark and forgot all about Crimea and forgot to send Berserkers to Sicily. Anyway I had Iceland and i remembered someone saying something about Iceland becoming independent so I sent my archer to the far corner of Iceland out of the culture borders. When Spain spawned I guess a portal to Spain also spawned because my archer went from Iceland to Spain. Took me a while to realize where my archer in Iceland had gone and the archer appeared with all the Spanish units like he was one of them, but he was still mine.

Nice :crazyeye: ... the three rocks in the middle of Sahara are supposed to prevent those "portals", but I guess I haven't done all the code right. I think I know what I am missing.

Iberia for the Cordobans are now crawling with Mounted Sergeants, that feels wrong.

I am still at war with nations I have never met.

I took Spains capital early, then I razed their new capital and now they only have one city left but is still at stable!?!

Tanja always has that pagan shrine giving me the Shrine of Uppsala, feels ahistoric.

The text for the feudal law bonus only says "+20 from civic" in the city screen in small print.

Iberia for the Cordobans are now crawling with Mounted Sergeants, that feels wrong.

I am still at war with nations I have never met.

I took Spains capital early, then I razed their new capital and now they only have one city left but is still at stable!?!

Tanja always has that pagan shrine giving me the Shrine of Uppsala, feels ahistoric.

The text for the feudal law bonus only says "+20 from civic" in the city screen in small print.

- Haven't had time to look at the war bugs yet
- Not sure, Spain should have suffered massive from losing a capital (although they can suffer more over the long run if you were to keep the city)
- Tanja ... no clue, the Indies build whatever they want
- I don't know how to write the % in XML, maybe merijn_v1 can look at this

Got memory failure in 1218 as Franks.

With new militarism I believe the French can win domination victory before public works......

After #1 UHV, flip your cities to Burgandy and Germany (leave no army to them), then have 4 mounted sergeants or horse archers near Dijon, 2-3 near Lyon, 2-3 near Marseilles, then at turn 98 or 900 A.D., switch to militarism & feudal civics, and blitz Burgandy, take them out in one turn, Then you'll be solid.

New civics are nice.

I also tried Norse UHV and Vinland was absolutely doable on monarch. One doesn't even need to send the start settlers far away. I guess, if i didn't want to build the Uppsala Shrine, all 3 UHVs can be done around 1050.

See the first post for information about a bug. Basically, if you want to start a new game, you have to exit civilization and then enter again.

yeah it seems to me like crossbows and all that (not archers) are a little overpowered for their time.

For instance I took a stack of 2 armored lancers and 2 longswordsman after 2 catapults had attacked the city for collatoral, and attacked Cordoba City which had 3 xbows each with medic and city defender and lost every single unit...

once trebuchets come things are a little bit better balanced because you can actually dent the crossbows first but then arbelestier come. then you play the waiting game for knights... then longbows come. It seems like there are brief windows where your offensive units can actually damage archers. I think the strength level isn't too bad but the +50% city defender base on top of the +25% vs heavy infantry and cavalry (which is only what spain starts with, in addition to others) plus the first strike and the city defender feat it is simple too high. Perhaps nerf the city defender to +25% on crossbows (maybe drop price by 10% to compensate). 5 str (+50% city, +25% vs heavy, +25% hills, +25% fortify, +20% city, hopefully 0% walls) = 12.25 str. Even an armored lancer can't take that down. It takes about 2 armored lancers for every crossbow, yet armored lancer cost 50% more.... so really its 3 times the production.

By the time you get arbelestier, the sieger can get trebs and knights somewhat soon. The problem is the arbelestier get +50% vs heavy, so the combined effect of heavy + city is 25% lower, but it still hurts. With only 6 strength though, you can actually counter them with knights.

But once you get knights, he's going to start getting longbows which are again difficult to take out. Perhaps knights could receive an ignore first strikes buff.

Crossbowmen etc. can be annoying but are far from OP imo
all bowmen have a problem once their advantage is neutralized (first strikes)
how about building barracks & stables :)

Flanking I : +10% chance to withdraw
Flanking II: immune to first strikes and +20% chance to withdraw

Mounted Sergeant(Light Cavalry):
5 str
immune to first strikes
40% chance to withdraw

(barracks+stables give 6 exp to mounted units)
add
Combat I: +10% strength
Combat II: +10% strength
the Mounted Sergeant now has 6 strength, same as an Arbalestier

Armored Lancers and Knights can both get flanking upgrades
(Mounted Sergeants too, getting up to 70% chance to withdraw)
Feint (+25% against polearm) requires Flanking II

hmm ok that could definitely work. The problem for spain is that they dont start out with many techs at all, it usually takes quite a while to get farriers.

I think I found part of the reason for the accelerated tech rate: Rome!.

Playing a Spain game, that Papal bugger has so far had all the key techs first (Plate, Monument etc.) and is more than happy to trade.
- Hit the bible thumper with a whopping tech penalty .. surely his minions around the world can feed him tech :D

Don't know if someone reported this, but genoan UHV#3 seems bugged : I had open borders with about 15 other nations, and 1640 went without checking this UHV.

EDIT : this one works if you change the check in victory.py from :

if ( iCount >= 10 ):
pGenoa.setUHV( 1, 1 )
else:
pGenoa.setUHV( 1, 0 )

to :

if ( iCount >= 10 ):
pGenoa.setUHV( 2, 1 )
else:
pGenoa.setUHV( 2, 0 )

It shows the good text for me. Are you sure you have beta 9?

EDIT: Found the problem. It's fixed in the next version.

Don't know if someone reported this, but genoan UHV#3 seems bugged : I had open borders with about 15 other nations, and 1640 went without checking this UHV.

EDIT : this one works if you change the check in victory.py from :

if ( iCount >= 10 ):
pGenoa.setUHV( 1, 1 )
else:
pGenoa.setUHV( 1, 0 )

to :

if ( iCount >= 10 ):
pGenoa.setUHV( 2, 1 )
else:
pGenoa.setUHV( 2, 0 )
Thanks, will include the fixed version in the next release.

Top Bottom