Beta Gauntlet IX

anyone want to share his results/estimations for a first place?

im having a run I concider good right now, and it might take me till 1600 to win, maybe even longer.

I haven't played island maps much so I don't have the experience to get a quick win right now. Going to have to play around. If you can finish by 1600 you should be doing rather well in my opinion. I think I am going to restart, I messed up my tech paths pretty good. If I finish my game out I would say I would finish around 1750-1800.

I have very little experience with conquest. It's fun for a change, but I can't guess how long it takes to clean up everyone. I got Astronomy in 370 AD. Seems like to you can't win until you get that unless low sea level allows you to get around in a galley. I thought High Seas would mean less cities to conquer, so I played High. Again, I don't know anything about fast conquest.

I didn't use a financial leader, so how does the 370 compare? anyone want to share?

Also, anyone want to share which landmass they chose and why?

Archipelago, continents , for takeout one AI early :)
But I'v failed six games in a row....incredible...maybe other settings (tropical) are wrong

I don't know how 370 compares, I will check my logs later. I have been trying to build up a little bit and get a decent economic base so I can out tech the AI to gunpowder units. However this may not be the best solution at all. I just don't know if swordsmen/macemen will be able to take them all out before they get gunpowder. We'll see.

I tried snaky continents first. My reasoning was that it would give me enough landmass to build up several cities and would also give me atleast 1 AI I could hit before I got to astronomy. Not to mention the added resources. However this created the problem of the AI having a TON of cities, meaning longer to take them out. My current attempt is with tiny islands, high sea level. This is resulting in a lot fewer cities to take out but it creates its own problems. The main problem is that I can't move my units to a single boarding point to board them on ships, so that takes several turns to get around. I haven't played archipelago yet, we'll see if that is a nice medium.

I do think that I am going to abandon my expansion/teching phase. I usually tend to always do too much in the gauntlets and don't go minimalistic enough.

Big_Ben said:
HOF Staff: can we add additional leaders to the list or is 7 the limit?
Yes, you can add. 7 is the minimum limit. As no maximum was stated, the current HOF rules allow however many the game will let you have. :)

With Tiny Islands, I'd think you must use Rocky to have any decent production. I used Rocky with continents even.

Continents only gave me one AI I could reach b4 Astronomy. Unless low sea improves that count, continents are not the way to go. Mine was even too big for me to settle. I'd say the extra land/cities I need to conquer are going to hurt my fast finish.

On tiny islands I actually settled on a plains hill and had 2 more in my cross so production in my capital wasn't bad. I'll try rocky next time I gen a map. I really wish there was a way to play OCC until I started attacking and then turn it off :p

I may try playing OCC once though. Will take a really nice start to be able to do it though.

I usually try all these OCC, but I don't see how OCC is going to help you this time. The best advantage is Oxford without all those Universities, but I have no intention of ever getting Education. Then there's the "more than 2 national wonders" advantage, but I don't see myself building more than 2. It seems OCC has no chance this time.

Played as qin on archipelago continents high sea level. I settled only seven but good cities, pumped reserch but got astronomy in about 700 AD, optic in 300. Bejin was 300 beakers without Oxford, but conquest took a very long time, couse two opponents reached astronomy in the last 20 turns and I hadn't horses in the start continent.

Finally a simple n0000000000b question: do you usually write a micro spoiler or share a "random" information about your games?

Tauro said:
Finally a simple n0000000000b question: do you usually write a micro spoiler or share a "random" information about your games?
If you're inquiring about HOF policy regarding writeups, there really is none other than encouragement. You can write as much or as little as you like, although we do run these to be as educational/enlightening as they are entertaining.

It really depends on the person. A lot of the players in the gauntlets will write up their entire strategies in the thread to help others learn. Especially when there are a lot of finishes around the same time. That way readers can see the little improvements each person makes so they can put them all together. There are some people that find a really nice strat that finish really well that prefer to keep it to themselves until after the gauntlet is over. There's nothing wrong with that, just a competitive thing.

Once I find a strat that gives me a nice finish I will post it up.

I usually share random bits, especially this early. I wouldn't want to spoil the fun of figuring things out for yourself. I also find that posting good finishes will discourage some players.

My first attempt is complete. I realize now that it doesn't take that long to conquer everyone. Domination is much harder because you have to control so much land. It only took 10 - 20 turns to kill of each civ after Astronomy. I didn't even attack anyone until then.

I think my victory year was pretty good, so I'm not gonna scare anyone off with it. I will share some random bits though.

I played Napolean for the UU. Musketeers are nice, but over half of the conquest is done with swordsman. The extra movement point of the musketeers saved me about 10 turns or so. Napolean was great fun for a change of pace, but I don't think he's the best choice. Faster tech is the key once again. Unless those low sea level maps allow you to get around in a galley. I just assumed they don't.

I got stone, so I figured I'd put Napolean's industrial trait to use and get the Pyramids early. I also got the G. Lighthouse (naturally), but that was it for wonders.

Even though I ran 2 scientists in 2 cities, I never generated a Great Scientist, so I didn't get the Academy.

Wastin: What landmass did you use and did you use high sea level? Also, how many cities did you create yourself and how many did you end up keeping/razing?

I am thinking tiny islands with high sea level is the way to go, but it leaves me without very much land to develop my initial cities on. I was only able to create 3 in my last game. I have been keeping cities when I first start conquering and then start razing about half the way through the conquest.

wow :)

for me it lasts 122 turns from my 1st attack, but 162!!! from astronomy ( I ended with modern navy, 24 turns for last 3 civs).

I made an huge mistake, didn't build a galley fleet before.
I'll have to cut at least 40 turns :)
Thx for the tips.

WastinTime said:
Unless those low sea level maps allow you to get around in a galley. I just assumed they don't.
Well, I have only played one archipelago map in the past, and it was low sea level and I was able to circumnavigate the world in a workboat, so I'd say you can get most places with a galley.

I played snaky continents, high seas. There were a lot of resources (stone even), but it was too much land. I only settled half of mine. I had 4 cities with decent beakers and hammers and then a 5th city stayed at size 1 but it had 7 hammers.

Like I said, I didn't capture any cities until after astronomy. I kept the first 6 cities, but should have only kept 4 of those. Then I kept one more in the next war. And two in the following war. And others to heal the troops here and there. My last 3 civs were all on the same contintent so it was really just one big civ. Each civ was only about 4-6 cities.

Those last 3 had a few longbowmen (they finally got feudalism). My Musketeers were in full force by then. They will never get gunpowder and didn't get optics (much less Astronomy).

Regarding low seas:
I'd be willing to bet someone would be located in unreachable territory, so you still need Astronomy to win the game. If someone generates a map that can reach everyone, they will win. I think I'll try this next. At least get some conquering in before Astronomy.

ok, 50 turns cutted. Probably in this kind of map victory comes 30 turns earlier.
Usually I don't play this kind of map: 1400 AD is good or not for you master of HOF? :)

Top Bottom