Beta UHV discussion

About the svn: I remember once I made the same mistake, and also had a checkout in RFCEurope/rfceurope
IIRC it's a matter of wrong path: when you select the folder where you want the checkout, don't select the actual RFCEurope folder, but the main Mods folder in BtS
(I may remember wrong on this, it was a while ago when I last made a new checkout. But it's definitely some path issue)

20K is a little easy but how'd you get 55K by 1300AD? I agree that even more rapid expansion is very possible but did you just expand or did you also go far past the health limit?

20K is a little easy but how'd you get 55K by 1300AD? I agree that even more rapid expansion is very possible but did you just expand or did you also go far past the health limit?

It was around Beta 9 or Beta 10
Not sure how far could I go in the latest version (new starting point, more barbarians, small terrain and province changes)
I would say something around 50k is still possible, and 40k is fairly easily manageable in most games - with careful city planning and good micro

The Cordoban UHVs need some spice!

1. Beyond Poitiers: Capture Toulose and Bordeaux by 929(?)
2. As is. Tech year penalty makes the UHV reasonable. It could be squeezed a few years.
3. Have 8 cities with at least three religions each by 1492. Too easy or too much Poland?

both ... to easy and to much like Polands "get several Cathedrals of differing religions"

theres no reason to rediscover the wheel, throwing all the current UHV's they have out the window

IMO their "whole Iberia have islam" UHV is reasonable as well ... althrough slightly to easy ... add southen france as well, still in line with Politiers (Aquatine and Province?)

But conquer X provinces isnt novelty either. Comments about the current UHVs:

1. Hit Cordoba on food production. Build Noria and Smokehouse. Hope that the plague hits Byzantium hard. No challenge and some minor luck required. Large scrapping potential.
2. It is ok, remove a few years to force somewhat beelining.
3. 800 years to conquer your neighbouring "ok" provinces. Large scrapping potential.

Any other suggestions or more people want to keep the old ones?

That and an unstable unproductive site to worry about, that is still flavorful for the civ concerned. Besides the balearics are not exactly fought over as it is.

That and an unstable unproductive site to worry about, that is still flavorful for the civ concerned. Besides the balearics are not exactly fought over as it is.

Agreed, the moors did control the Balearic Islands for more than 300 years, to have a Muslim city on a Mediterranean island is flavorful and interesting.

These maps might help, I personally suggest adding another province of North Africa as well.

This shows the peak of Muslim penetration into Europe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Umayyad750ADloc.png

This was the extent of the Almohad Kingdom. (at around 1200) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Almohads1200.png

something i wondered actually ... why doesn't Arabia have Cyphus as Solid (or at least OK) and is asked to settle it within their first UHV? ... would help making that a bit tighter

both ... to easy and to much like Polands "get several Cathedrals of differing religions"

theres no reason to rediscover the wheel, throwing all the current UHV's they have out the window

IMO their "whole Iberia have islam" UHV is reasonable as well ... althrough slightly to easy ... add southen france as well, still in line with Politiers (Aquatine and Province?)

As for 3, I'd not only add Toulouse and Bordeaux, but also the Balearics.

something i wondered actually ... why doesn't Arabia have Cyphus as Solid (or at least OK) and is asked to settle it within their first UHV? ... would help making that a bit tighter

I agree
And I like these additions both for Cordoba and Arabia

Byzantium is one of the funniest civs to play since you constantly have something to do:

- Justinians plague
- Arabic spawn
- Bulgar spawn
- Seljuk barbarians
- Ottomans spawn (kinda easy since it is so late)

For the first UHV we could increase the Rome starting culture a bit more. I usually beat the UHV with a hippodrome and all starting culture buildings/wonders. Say another 1000 points?

Second UHV is completed if you survive the seljuks. Why not force the player to take some additional areas? I would say conquer Damasqus and Tyre plus Egypt. Remove the unsettled areas from the UHV. I think Byzantium should be about the former empire, not settle new areas.

Third UHV is pointless. 100% gold and hit end of turn. I am at a loss for ideas however, anyone?

How about recreating Justinian's conquest, control Italy during some years. That would force the player to divert crucial early resources to Italy (and is very doable).

If the Holy Roman Emperor system from RFCE++ is implemented it would be fun to have wanted but couldn't as reuniting west and east - become the HRE :)

If we want a UHV that is not conquer it could be convert Arabs and Ottomans to orthodoxy. It would force the Byzantines to not collapse them but rather make them vassals and protect them. It was a central aim for the Byzantines for a long time to try to convert primarily the Turks to Christianity.

We could add Italy to second UHV, great idea! And third UHV is to convert Arabs and Ottomans to orthodox! That would be a challenge! So:

- Second Rome: Make Constantinople the largest and most cultural city in 1025AD
- XXX: Conquer existing provinces plus southern plus northern italy (but not Venice/Genoa area). Remove the two unsettled provinces in Anatolia.
- XXX: Make sure Ottomans and Arabs are orthodox by 1500-1550?

How about recreating Justinian's conquest, control Italy during some years. That would force the player to divert crucial early resources to Italy (and is very doable).

If the Holy Roman Emperor system from RFCE++ is implemented it would be fun to have wanted but couldn't as reuniting west and east - become the HRE :)

If we want a UHV that is not conquer it could be convert Arabs and Ottomans to orthodoxy. It would force the Byzantines to not collapse them but rather make them vassals and protect them. It was a central aim for the Byzantines for a long time to try to convert primarily the Turks to Christianity.

No matter what, there simply has to be a wealth/trade based UHV for the Byzantines. Our current formula of

Make Constantinople great
Own several provinces
Be stinking rich

fits the Byzantines REALLY well. I'd suggest making the territorial deadline 1025 (end of Basil II's reign) and add not Italy, but various Balkan provinces, including Moesia, Wallachia, Serbia, Bosnia, Arberia, as well as everything south of them. This necessitates conquest of the Bulgarians, which is so very fitting. If this is too difficult, maybe Wallachia and Bosnia could be left out.

The Byzantines had a lot of trouble keeping together the non-mercenary portion of their army ever since the 11th century, so maybe they could have reduced troop building speed from the High/Late Middle Ages? This should make it harder for the player to overprepare for the Ottomans.

Maybe the Constantinople's size/culture deadline could be pushed back to 1204? There was a lot of artistic innovation from 1025-1204, despite the political/military situation. The pillaging of many artworks during the 4th crusade was really the first step backwards, so 1204 would kinda be Constantinople zenith, or at least it's pre-Ottoman zenith.

Third UHV as Bulgarians: Do not lose a city to the Ottomans etc.

But Odrin (Hadrianapolis) flips! Then you lose. Or are you supposed to reject the flip and have half of your army defect to the ottomans already huge army?

(And isnt there a typo in the UHV? "Do not loose a city...")

But Odrin (Hadrianapolis) flips! Then you lose. Or are you supposed to reject the flip and have half of your army defect to the ottomans already huge army?

Yeah, currently it means you have to reject the flip if you conquered Hadrianopolis before
I don't think that's a bad thing, you at least have a good fight for your 3rd UHV
Fixed the typo, thanks!

or you could just move the palace to Odrin ... Capitals can't flip :p

Otherwise the UHV is trivial. With two defensive stacks in Odrin and Constantinople, there is no way for the Turkish AI to do anything.

Top Bottom