• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Better? More or less civs?

I can't ever have enough civs in my games. Currently I'm playing with 34 civs on a fractal, low sea-level FX-Mammoth map (16,000 tiles), about 50% larger than the stock huge maps.
how long does it take for your computer to compute a turn?? experience much lag?:

I usually play with 16 civs. some get eliminated freeing up space for colonies, but I'd like it if the cap was higher, like 24 or soemthing for colonies.

Could be worse. The lag between turns doesn't bother me much, I'm a very slow player anyway. I just use this time to think about strategies. And I think the game has become noticeably faster compared to Warlords.

What bothered me in vanilla Civ4 was lag within your turn, when scrolling the map. But I've got 1 GB RAM now, and the graphics programming has become *much* more efficient. I still play with all settings maxed out and there's still no lag when scrolling.

However, I'm not sure whether I can play this game to the end, it's an experiment. Usually the game slows down noticeably when Paper gets discovered and the civs start to swap maps. Currently I'm at 800 A.D., so I wouldn't expect much lag at the moment anyway. Civ4 is only using 560 MB of memory despite the huge map and many civs at the moment.

However, whether any lag is bearable or not is highly subjective. As I said, I'm a slow player, so I wouldn't be bothered much. It also wouldn't bother me to lower the graphic detail if I had to. Other people's mileage may (and will) vary. Personally, I recommend to get hold of a modern-times savegame or scenario of a game similar to the one you'd like to set up, play a few turns there, and see whether it runs fast enough for you. It's hard to predict gamespeed because of the many factors involved, and it's nearly impossible to predict how it will *feel* for someone since that is highly subjective.

I typically play Small or Standard sized maps with an extra player or three, depending on what kind of map I'm playing. If it's an old map script, then just an extra player is good. If it's one of the new BtS scripts, though, I always have to add a couple people to fill out the world...seems like all the new map scripts are way bigger than they should be.

I rarely start with more than 10 Civs on the board, but that is mostly because I prefer the smaller maps. I guess I always play with above the default number of Civs, so I technically like more, even if it doesn't seem like it.

The more civs, the better. More civs means more wars, more blocs, more action, and more possibilities. When I was new to the game I liked to have less civs because I didn't feel secure unless I could secure a large enough beginning empire, but no longer!

For me, more Civs are better because I hate building new cities and expanding my empire past the opening game. After I build a few cities, I'm ready to go. By 1000 BCE, I expect to have borders forming with other AIs...if there are still gaps, I get annoyed.

Making colonies in the New World or on islands, though, is an exception to this rule.

For me, more Civs are better because I hate building new cities and expanding my empire past the opening game. After I build a few cities, I'm ready to go. By 1000 BCE, I expect to have borders forming with other AIs...if there are still gaps, I get annoyed.

Making colonies in the New World or on islands, though, is an exception to this rule.

I feel somehow the same way.

I like switching it up. On Earth maps, I like to load the 24 civ mod because it's more realistic. But lately, I've been playing with the standard 12 civs on a Huge map (shuffled) or standard with 6 civs. I've found the game much easier when everyone has more room to breathe, but less war-like in the more fun (well, IMO) Classical and Medieval eras. I was able to slide up a difficulty level by giving a little more breathing room in the early game.

More often than not standard # of civs -1. I sort of like that wild card.

It might allow for a barbarian continent, it might give Gandhi or Shaka room to grow peacefully, or maybe I'll be isolated and lag the world in techs.

It keeps things interesting for me.

I like 2-3 extra. I don't have a lot of time for civ, so I like my Duel with ~4 civs games. Not a massive empire to manage, quick turns, game doesn't last forever.

But if I play tiny or small, I usually tack on 2/3 extra civs to the default to lessen the amount of cities I have to manage and make the game more interesting and confrontational.

I almost always play Standard sized Fractal maps and add 1-3 more Civs (usually two). I found that any less was too much of a lovefest and any more made warmongering early in the game too easy.

I always go for 18 civs, no matter the map. My normal map is huge though so there is a lot of room to work with even at 18 civs.

What's really fun is to make a tiny map with 18 civs. I call that the "cage match."

I'm going to edit my game to get 34 civs on a huge map tonight, and I'm sure it'll be a blast.

I agree, the more the merrier, it turns up the heat

I want to try an Earth map with 34 civs, does anyone know if their is a modded map with this option? I can't seem to find it in the forums.

^

There isn't an Earth mod for 34 civs, but if you just want a 34 civ map with spaces for colonies and an appropriate size, look for XXL World. Great mod, but it lags like... well you know.

Yeah, I can't even imagine how much it lags. No 34civ earth? Oh well, don't really need 34 civs for any other map. I guess 24 civ earth will have to do...

I wish my computer handled even 18 CIVs in huge...But no, hell of a lag.
Ah well, if I want to play a nice realistic earth, I just load Rhyes mod!

I've never even thought of adding civs to the world before. It sounds like a good idea though - I think my next game will be a large map with an extra 2 or 3 civs. My current game (large map, normal amount of civs) seems to have way too much extra room - Monty and I each had nine or ten cities before our borders touched.

standard maps with 10-11 civs + me. I would play larger with more AI, but the time between turns is maddening with BTS.

Top Bottom