Better Unique Power

Well, the British/English one sort of is...

The Mongolian one sounds good on paper but its usefulness in praxis is iffy at best...

Roman's power sounds lame, but is actually incredibly useful.

Babylonian UP sounds grate, but Babylonians never really go on conquest (at least is not implied by the UHV). So the Babylonian UP is the most useless IMO.

I never figured out the Mongolian one, but I did not try very hard either.

In case you want to achieve the UHV without building the Great Wall (IE: historically :p), the Roman UP is what determines success over defeat.

I never figured out the Mongolian one, but I did not try very hard either.

If you raze a large city, all the smaller cities nearby will flip to you on approach. I razed Xi'an and Llasa flipped to me when my Keshiks moved into Tibet.

I think Portugal's unique power is the weakest. Having 2 extra movement like the Spanish get would enable quick mapping just as well as the extra vision across water, and would be more useful in being first to circumnavigate the world.

I think the Portuguese should get the power of Colonies, +1 trade route in the Capital for each city founded more than 15 tiles from the Capital.

The Portuguese were very successful at keeping their trading colonies/outposts for a very long period of history.

In case you want to achieve the UHV without building the Great Wall (IE: historically :p), the Roman UP is what determines success over defeat.

Or if you decide to build the Great Wall in Africa instead, where it's also useful.

The Roman UP is one of the most powerful. Not just defensively, if you are attacking enemies you can also get reinforcements, and if your territory expands beyond Italy, moving workers from place to place. It is IMO one of the best, not up to the Arabs or Turks, but still quite nice.

Egypt's is pretty much pointless if you aren't going for the UHV, since your benefit is quite small, in the long term (but, of course Egypt isn't built for the long term), though very important for their early UHV.

England's I like, less for its benefit, than the ability to get to Drill IV. If you get a tech advantage, you shall rule the waves with few losses.

IMO all are useful, if you play to take advantage of it (obviously Carthage's is useless if you don't use Mercenaries). Outside the UHV Portugal's helps set up screening forces to defend from naval invasions. Though yes, you might look for something more militaristic for Rome, but they do still have the Preat.

Outside the UHV Portugal's helps set up screening forces to defend from naval invasions.

Naval invasions by whom? One of Portugal's goals is to get Open Borders with as many nations as possible, which requires good relations. Any nation which relations have soured with will close their borders before they attack so you don't need extra visibility to see it coming. And the most likely aggressor is Spain, who will invade via a land attack on Lisbon every time anyway.

The Portuguese UP is just not particularly useful and could do with some improving in my opinion.

I was more referring to outside the UHV.
For the UHV, it has teh direct impact, sure more movement would be as good, if not better for exploration, but it does help.
And yes, it is one of the weakest UPs, but it does have a place.

Egypt's is pretty much pointless if you aren't going for the UHV, since your benefit is quite small, in the long term (but, of course Egypt isn't built for the long term), though very important for their early UHV.

I'll disagree with this because due to poor production in Egypt especially in the beginning before you discover horses and copper, the egyptian UP will help a lot in building early building infrastructure which also helps a lot in the long run.

Call me confused, but what does "outside the UHV" really mean?
When just playing, not going for the UHV.

I'll disagree with this because due to poor production in Egypt especially in the beginning before you discover horses and copper, the egyptian UP will help a lot in building early building infrastructure which also helps a lot in the long run.
It helps a lot right off the bat, but as Egypt, and not going for the UHV, I would beeline Bronze Working (gotta get axes ready for the Impis), and quickly get the pyramids up (and promptly leave HR). So I lose the benefit quickly, and the gains are smaller and smaller every turn that goes by.

It helps a lot right off the bat, but as Egypt, and not going for the UHV, I would beeline Bronze Working (gotta get axes ready for the Impis), and quickly get the pyramids up (and promptly leave HR). So I lose the benefit quickly, and the gains are smaller and smaller every turn that goes by.

Erm, I'm going to guess that you've not built the Pyramids lately? Because in my version of RFC, it gives me free Monuments.

No shortcuts to Representation for you matey boy! :p

The Egyptian UP is not the best but it's certainly not the worst - it's nice to save a turn of anarchy and get Slavery online right off the bat.

Hmm, wow I am lost. My computer hasn't played RFC (or Civ IV in general, heck even Civ II is having trouble) for a quite while, so, no I haven't.
OK, so ignore that part.

So it saves a turn of anarchy (admittedly worth considerably more in RFC than in regular civ) and means I don't have to go after the monarchy tech very early.
My main point was that its effect diminishes as the game goes on, and if you can somehow survive till later in the game, the effect gets to be pretty minimal.

Rome's UP is very powerful, it is like having the railroads or industrial era roads in the classical era and avaiable throughout the entire game! Unlike some UPs it's usefulness is not only useful in one era or specific time period but in every one!

I think the Spanish, Portugese, Mongolia because of its non-effectiveness, Babylon because of its location have the most useless UPs. And let's not forget the Inca! I'll throw in India too. How about as an alternative for India: The Power of Mega-Population: City Growth less affected by jungles/unhealthiness. :lol:

Oh yes and I never really understood the Vikings UP, in medieval Europe there usually is very little worth pillaging and its weakness in production means that the European powers (especially Russia and Germany) will quickly out-produce it. I would like The Power of Piracy: Viking ships able to take treasures (gold) when they have sunk an enemy ship.

Strongest UPs = Russia, Turkey, Germany, Easy top 3 in my book. I like the Aztecs (free workers forever!), Persia is good. Rome is good. Carthage is useful. And Greece is nice too - pump out those Aristotles!! :king:

I would say the rest are so-so: America, Egypt, Mali, Japan, China, Khmer, Netherlands, the rest.

Top Bottom