1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Beyond Earth Factions

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Haphaz, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Smith of Lie

Smith of Lie Chieftain

There's also Mount Kosciuszko. I'm not really sure how it is located in relation to Ayers Rock though. But I assume that it is far enough, that Polystralians swim between the two on catamarans dragged by giant, mutant, barely tamed platypuses (platypi?).

2. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

Guys, I'm sorry I didn't read through all (now) 34 pages! But since it seems confirmed only these 8 factions? Will a standard game still be 8? I'm not sure if I can get used to the idea of every game having the same factions.

What are the chances more would be added in the future?

3. Napoleon_IV

Napoleon_IV Chieftain

I would say better than average chance. Without fail every civ expansion has had new factions and this will almost definitely have an expansion or two. At least some downloadable content will be added too given its success in Civ V. Man i hope they make a crossfire style expansion with 2 powerful alien visitors warring it out and humans stuck between them! I thought that concept in crossfire was genius!

4. Napoleon_IV

Napoleon_IV Chieftain

On factions i also think they should represent more corporations as well as unions of nationalities. With their immense wealth and resources i can see petrolium companies, major banking establishments and the like being authorities onto themselves. Maybe expansion factions can be corporate factions concerned more with their own adjendas rather than the colonisation of space..

5. A Bucket O Spam

A Bucket O Spam Chieftain

I think we might see a faction based in Germany and/or England in the expansion, not to mention a leader no one really suspects at first. Likewise, the already-announced ARC does not necessarily mean that America is completely off limits, even if Fielding said that the government is weak. Likewise, I think we can assume that, though the Kavithan Protectorate exists close to it, that there will be at least one Middle Eastern Faction and/or one more African faction.

In reality, there are still quite a few factions that can be made/used, but we may see one more faction at least for every continent. Not even Asia (I fancy) is quite done despite how many factions have been made there.

6. Smith of Lie

Smith of Lie Chieftain

The fact, that leaders are not the rulers of civilizations/countries but the chosen leaders of space expedition it is entirely plausible to even have factions from the same 8 countries/powers, only headed by someone else.

Say, a rival ARC executive with different priorities and support of different department or someone more closely affiliated with PAC government who is chosen to lead an expedition with less independent streak than Sochua.

I think it is even implied in revealed leader vignettes that each power sends multiple seeding missions.

7. SupremacyKing

SupremacyKing Prince

I could definitely see Firaxis releasing a DLC in the future where players could choose between multiple leaders (each with their own unique bonus) for the same faction. That would be interesting indeed!

8. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

Straya's a continent ya schlubbo.

Uluru is only 863m tall. Little known fact - Uluru is rather like an iceberg, that is to say that a hefty, hefty majority of it is underground.

Nah, it's just Platypuses, ya drongo. The distance between the Uluru and Kosciuszko Is roughly the same distance as the crow flies from Paris to Istanbul. Straya's bloody big mate.

9. Smith of Lie

Smith of Lie Chieftain

The size of the continent does not preclude two points from lying near each other. I must shamefully admit, that I am aware of Mount Kosciuszko mainly cause it is named after a Polish national hero. So its placement on the Australia landmass was an unknown.

But thanks for claryfing that one. Give you new perspective on how bloody big that place is.

10. TPangolin

As a rule of thumb, Uluru is usually 2000 km away from anything in Australia lol. Whether it be the Big Pineapple or the Polystralian Flaming Dingo Seeding Launch Base.

11. bouncymischa

bouncymischa Synthetic Genie

Well, continents are just big islands... :p

Although now I'm imagining all the Australian modders replacing the Firaxis soundfiles with custom ones so that the Polystralian leader's speech is peppered with authentic Australian slang...

12. TPangolin

'Thentic Strine slang? Bugger me, that sounds tempting. Tell ya what mate, I'll load up the esky with a few Four-exes, you shout me a few and we'll tear this ripper a new one.

Better pull through ya drongo, I don't want to be drinking with the flies and I'm pretty sure we'll be bloody flat out like a lizard drinking.

13. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

My understanding is that the international view of Australian slang is generally tragically inaccurate, causing Australians to cringe at Australian characters in TV and films made elsewhere.

14. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

Probably could take that statement and replace "Australian" with any name and come to the same conclusion.

15. TPangolin

Yeah nah, Sam is right in this regard. Hollywood never actually asks Australian actors to do Australian accents, and when they do they ask for the American interpretation. Instead they ask English actors who can never quite pull it off.

There is a certain irony when it comes to Australians playing roles that require accents and pulling them off though. If you want to hear Authentic Australian accents portrayed in Sci-fi media, Miranda from Mass Effect and Sam Neil in Event Horizon (pls disregard Pacific Rim).

16. bouncymischa

bouncymischa Synthetic Genie

"I... I think he's asking me for an exchange of trade goods? I'll try sending him that synthetic wine I got from the Merovingian Hydroponic Outpost, maybe he'll like that."

*** WAR DECLARED -- NUCLEAR LAUNCH DETECTED ***

"... Guess not."

:p

17. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Yeah, here in the States we always hear pseudo-Australians saying "throw another shrimp on the barbie." But I've been led to believe Australians don't call them shrimp, they call them prawns. I feel bad when I see commercials for Outback Steakhouse with the clearly exaggerated accent. It's enough to make real Aussies DoW us.

I know I always cringe when I hear people try to emulate a Boston accent in movies. It always comes out so over the top. I pronounce car as "cah" not "caaaaahhhhh"

18. TPangolin

Also, since the civfanatics rules are really strict on non-English posts - I'll have to provide a translation:

"Authentic Australian colloquialisms? Well Gosh, I am delightfully tempted. I'll make you a deal - in exchange for me stacking the portable cooler with numerous alcoholic beverages, you must bring some of your own for me to consume. We'll then show our worth by working with a quality end product in mind.

All this being said, I'd rather not be drinking alone, and additionally since there is a lot of work to do - we will be quite busy and as such the companionship would be preferable."

19. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I saw some comments about Beyond Earth leaders and factions being too positive. I think the negatives stuff is being hidden right now. Each of the leaders/factions probably have skeletons in the closet. They all have the potential to be interpreted as dystopian. Like, America is being run by capitalist/megacorporations, China is coercing neighboring countries to participate in the Pan-Asian cooperative, Franco-Iberia forcing assimilation on non-European immigrants, and so on (these are not confirmed, they are just examples of the potential downsides of the factions back on earth)

20. 3of5

3of5 Recycling Vats Technician

and thats the first problem. BE doesn't take place back on earth. Sochua is not the PAU, she actually disgrees with most PAC policies and it is unlikely she would reconstruct her colony in its image. Bolivar might be much more militaristic than Brazil might have been (for a hammer every problem looks like a nail)... Firaxis seemed to focus very much on the leaders instead of the home factions, which only serve as a story background (obviously the color of the faction would influence on what kind of leader they would send to head the mission). Its the leaders that shape how the colonies look, its the leaders on which the faction boni/mali are modelled and its the leaders that will decide which path the colony will take. Or better: its you who will decide that.

"Earth is past history, and while we will always remember that our mission is to find a solution for the problems of the dying planet that was humanitys craddle, we shall also never forget that our future lies before us on this planet among the stars, for one cannot live in his craddle forever!"
    General Kozlov - The Cosmonaut Legacy