Block everything, exept site X?

gerryandersson

The one with to much time
Hello! Dose anyone know if there is a program that can block all webbsites exept the ones you specificly "unblock"? Like a list with good sits like Civfanatics and maby CNN that can be visited, but if the site is not on the programs "good" list the site can't be acceced. There are plenty of parental control programs that block specific sites and/or words but I can't find one that blocks everything exept what I tell it to.

Wierd question, I know... but there is a need fore it.

I've never heard of such a thing. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, however. ;)

Have you tried looking at Snapfiles or Download.com for a program? You would think that reversing the filter wouldn't be that big a deal...

I would imagine that you'll need one something like the parental control-type sofware to get that.

I hope schools never get their hands on a program like that. Otherwise it's like, well, you have 5 mediocre sites we can access from the school computers for you to do research on.

It would also be fun to use it as a computer prank. Heh heh.

keep in mind you can acess virtually anything significant by going through google cache

Hello! Dose anyone know if there is a program that can block all webbsites exept the ones you specificly "unblock"? Like a list with good sits like Civfanatics and maby CNN that can be visited, but if the site is not on the programs "good" list the site can't be acceced. There are plenty of parental control programs that block specific sites and/or words but I can't find one that blocks everything exept what I tell it to.
Yes, I know someone who uses a filter just like that. I don't know the name, but I'll ask.

goggle cashe?

let's say I wanted to read about Stephen Colbert. I type "Stephen Colbert" into Google, and the first site is http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/the_colbert_report/index.jhtml. But uh-oh! my school/home/work blocks the site whenever it sees something that starts with "comedycentral.com" So I go back to the Google results page and below it is a little purplish text that says "cached" I click on that, which is at http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach...html+stephen+colbert&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1. Now I see what the page looked like the last time Google looked at it (which happens to be Sep. 15), and my school/parents/work doesn't block it because it's now on google's domain and not comedy central's.

PrinceScamp said:
I hope schools never get their hands on a program like that. Otherwise it's like, well, you have 5 mediocre sites we can access from the school computers for you to do research on....

Actually that could be perfect for a school under the right circumstances. Generally if I am doing a research project with high school students it is pretty ineffective to tell them to just - "do research." They all do the same thing - go to google, type in a search string, and click on the first site they see. Better would be for me to do the research, find 10-15 useful sites and tell them to just search through those for the info they need for the particular project we are working on. This is what I currently do anyway, but it would be nice to know that while they are supposed to be doing work, they can't pop over and waste their time on some worthless site that might not even have good information.

Those programs do exists, infact, we also use it at work. I'm trying to think what it's called, though... (It's got sites that are blocked, allowed, and allowed 'with restrictions' (during certain hours, X number of minutes, and I'm pretty sure bandwidth, etc.).

Anyway, Google always helps.

Top Bottom