[BNW] First concert tour ... booed off the stage!

Wilde

Warlord
Supporter
Normally I just bulb Great Writers/Artists/Musicians and seldom create works. I am currently playing a game on immortal and my ideology is not a popular one. I am considering switching to Autocracy from Order (which would benefit my play style) but I took Order first to get the production benefits to complete a wonder before the AI. However, I would like to fight to keep my ideology as I have invested in it. I know I will lose only my 'early adopter' tenets but read where a concert tour could help.

Sadly, my tourism is only +6:tourism: and my concert tour did little to nothing. So...my question(s):

Which city would help more by increasing its tourism to help fight off opposing ideologies? Would the city closest to the AI (other ideology) need more great works/tourism or could one of the cities I captured, who has more great works already filled (currently it is in resistance), work better? -- OR -- Relocate the great works from my other cities to cities closer to the AI to combat their ideology influence?

I mention 'immortal' because I have this problem on harder difficulties and suspect there are other factors I need to consider.

tourism points are nationwide, not per cities, so as long as a city don't have hotels, airports, etc, it doesn't matter where it positioned on the map. You still need to reconsider art wonders and their theming bonus though.

If your empire's tourism was only 6 the turn you produced a Great Musician; it's much better off used to place in an Opera House. Break even point would be only 30 turns.

The general guideline if you establish music guild early is you have the first four be in Opera Houses. Then unless you are planning on building Broadway you tour with the rest. (If you are building Broadway, then you fill Broadway with two more in the same era you finish it and then tour with the rest; even if you later get Sidney you just relocate two music pieces out of Opera Houses and into Sidney and similarly when you get a Broadcast Tower in the capital you relocate a piece of music from another city into your capital's Broadcast Tower for future stacking with National Vistor Center)

Rearranging great works is, in my opinion, more fun than the actual game. Kind of like that fishing minigame from Ocarina of Time.

Normally I just bulb Great Writers/Artists/Musicians and seldom create works. I am currently playing a game on immortal and my ideology is not a popular one. I am considering switching to Autocracy from Order (which would benefit my play style) but I took Order first to get the production benefits to complete a wonder before the AI. However, I would like to fight to keep my ideology as I have invested in it. I know I will lose only my 'early adopter' tenets but read where a concert tour could help.

Sadly, my tourism is only +6:tourism: and my concert tour did little to nothing. So...my question(s):

Which city would help more by increasing its tourism to help fight off opposing ideologies? Would the city closest to the AI (other ideology) need more great works/tourism or could one of the cities I captured, who has more great works already filled (currently it is in resistance), work better? -- OR -- Relocate the great works from my other cities to cities closer to the AI to combat their ideology influence?

I mention 'immortal' because I have this problem on harder difficulties and suspect there are other factors I need to consider.

First problem - CULTURE is defensive, TOURISM offensive. Your Tourism is irrelevant in determining the effect of ideology pressure. You need to keep your culture high. Try to get a convert to your way of thinking as well.

First problem - CULTURE is defensive, TOURISM offensive. Your Tourism is irrelevant in determining the effect of ideology pressure. You need to keep your culture high. Try to get a convert to your way of thinking as well.

not true, tourism is both offensive and defensive, if you are familiar to a civ, then if that civ is familiar to you, both civ won't give ideological pressure to each other.

Jesus no. It's the ratios - (your culture) : (his tourism) and (his culture) : (your tourism) that're important.

you probably realized this already, but in general you should never do a concert tour when your tourism output is that low. Concert tours are very powerful in the late game (especially if you are going for culture) and you are basically just throwing it away. Not to mention increasing the counter, making all the next musicians come slower.

The problem is right here: never underestimate great works. Ever. Then you don't have to worry too much about ideological pressure and you provide yourself with some defence against enemy CV's, as great works produce both tourism and culture (+2 for both per great work).

It is not always better to create great work. If you are not pursing CV this +2:tourism: it is pretty useless. Culture is much better because it is not only a defence against ideological pressure, but you can also buy SP with it. So I would say, you may consider creating Great Work of Writing with an early GW and you should bulb late GW. If you know you can win World's Fair, it is a good idea to save a couple of GW for this time. The problem is quite similar to bulbing/saving/planting GS, however great works gives you only +2:c5culture: opposite to +6:c5science: (or more). If you have like 30 cpt, them bulbing GW you get 30x8=240:c5culture:. Great work adds 2:5culture: so you need 120 turn to earn the same.

If not aiming in CV I would bulb all GW (usually saving them for World's Fair) and probably bulb most of GA (if I had time for building Guild). In non-culture game GM ability is useless as your tourism usually is low and concerts give you pretty nothing. Usually I don't bother building Musician Guild (unless I play Korea) and if I got one I would plant it.

Top Bottom