Bombers are flying too slowly!

younflancy

Warlord
Hello, civ boys!

I like playing in modern era, using all the good weapons such as tanks and bombers, artilleries and mobile rockets.

But the most terrible thing about the bombers in Civ5 is that they're flying so slowly!!!
Come on Firaxis! I don't want to wait more than 20 seconds to see a B17 fly half the globe to kick an infantry's ass, and then fly back! That is too realistic yo!:lol:

The bombing animation should be fast and general. Or you can allow us to do other things when the bomber is roaming:blush: I know we can move another unit during the bomber's action, but we can't do more things other than this.
And I suggest we can order multi bombers to do the bombings at one time! That should be excting and realistic too!

Plz at least give us some options to turn off the bombing and bombarding(from ships) animations.

I agree, quick combat is nice, but I really just want a "quick air combat"

But the most terrible thing about the bombers in Civ5 is that they're flying so slowly!!!
Come on Firaxis! I don't want to wait more than 20 seconds to see a B17 fly half the globe to kick an infantry's ass, and then fly back! That is too realistic yo!:lol:
I hate the slow air animations too.

Good news: the Stalingrad scenario mod has raised aircraft speed:
- air range x2.5 (visual attack speed x2)
Bad news: I gave a look to the mod files but I could not understand how to replicate it for general use.
Shall we ask the modder?

Whoa, I'm a modder, so I'll take a look at it. It's like 4 A.M., though, so I may fall asleep before getting back here ;)

I hate the slow air animations too.

How about constant camera cycling, to the other side of the world, between turns to see a city state bomb a pirate barbarian ship?
Good thing there is quick combat :)

Quick combat is one solution to this, but annoyingly only works if you select it at the beginning of a game, and of course, cancels all combat animation, which I like to see.

If they could put the option in the in-game menu, we'd be able to turn it on when we get to the modern era to avoid this nonsense (or alternatively, a quick air-combat button, as long as it doesn't include nukes :p)

Alright, whatever it is, it's got to be in here:

UnitMemberArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_BOMBER</Type>
<fScale>0.08</fScale>
<Granny>Assets/Units/Bomber/Bomber.fxsxml</Granny>
<Domain>Air</Domain>
- <Combat>
<Defaults>ART_DEF_TEMPLATE_AIR</Defaults>
<fTurnRateMin>0.10</fTurnRateMin>
<fTurnRateMax>0.25</fTurnRateMax>
<fAttackRadius>64.0</fAttackRadius>
<fMoveRate>2.4</fMoveRate>
- <Weapon>
<Usage>Vs_Air</Usage>
<fHitRadius>15.0</fHitRadius>
<fVisKillStrengthMin>1.0</fVisKillStrengthMin>
<fVisKillStrengthMax>1.0</fVisKillStrengthMax>
<WeaponTypeTag>BULLETHC</WeaponTypeTag>
<WeaponTypeSoundOverrideTag>BULLETHC</WeaponTypeSoundOverrideTag>
<HitEffect>ART_DEF_VEFFECT_FIGHTER_MACHINE_GUN_HIT_$(TERRAIN)</HitEffect>
</Weapon>
- <Weapon>
<fVisKillStrengthMin>15.0</fVisKillStrengthMin>
<fVisKillStrengthMax>25.0</fVisKillStrengthMax>
<fProjectileSpeed>0.9</fProjectileSpeed>
<bIsDropped>1</bIsDropped>
<bTargetGround>1</bTargetGround>
<fHitRadius>10.0</fHitRadius>
<WeaponTypeTag>EXPLOSIVE</WeaponTypeTag>
<WeaponTypeSoundOverrideTag>EXPLOSION200POUND</WeaponTypeSoundOverrideTag>
</Weapon>
</Combat>
<MaterialTypeTag>METAL</MaterialTypeTag>
<MaterialTypeSoundOverrideTag>METALLRG</MaterialTypeSoundOverrideTag>
</UnitMemberArtInfo>

sounds like it's fmoverate.

Edit: Although being the newbie modder I am, I have no clue why this works. Thought any xml change needs update or row.

Did someone found a practical solution for this problem? how to make aircraft attack animation faster? It is tedious after a while to use air units. Bomber flying over the half worldmap ... :sleep:
In some cases those fighter attack animation doesn't stop and they keep bombing for a very long time .... (i think it happens sometimes when attacking a submarine or an anti aircraft gun).

Yeah I would love to see a fix for this as well. The Stealth Bomber is my favorite unit but its just so tedious to use.

They could just redo the animation so the aircraft "phases in" just before its target, bombs it and then "phases out" shortly after.

EDIT: I imagine its something in the code that prohibits them from doing so. Something about a unit that needs a point of entry in combat that it returns to if it didn't destroy its target completely or otherwise cannot exist in the target tile. They could speed up the flying though :)

yeah I've had a thread on the 2k forums about this issue for some time now. I don't think anyone important enough to make the changes read it. :(

Only quick combat will do. I dont even see most unit animations because of it.

Moderator Action: Thread moved to Ideas & Suggestion and Vanilla tag added

I have quick combat on, but I'm talking about the A.I moving it's plains city to city, even during peace for no reason, I spend most of the turn waiting for planes to move.

Top Bottom