Bonuses shouldn't get obsolete.

There is also a problem with artillery units and the Military-Industrial Complex building: it replaces the Munitions Factory, which means you can't build anymore of the advanced seige units. I think the requirement for these units should be changed to 'Munitions Factory OR Military-Industrial Complex'.

Thinking ahead, there could be tags for 'replacements' and 'substitutions', where substitutions replace a building but also act in place of it for any prerequisite logic.

Thinking ahead, there could be tags for 'replacements' and 'substitutions', where substitutions replace a building but also act in place of it for any prerequisite logic.
There is also a problem with artillery units and the Military-Industrial Complex building: it replaces the Munitions Factory, which means you can't build anymore of the advanced seige units. I think the requirement for these units should be changed to 'Munitions Factory OR Military-Industrial Complex'.
I had fixed this issue in the code for all cases along these lines BUT it proved to slow things down way too much. There is another way to recode it to correct it in a more efficient manner but it currently just amounts to another project on the list here. In the meantime, yes, the XML can directly be corrected but I'm really starting to need someone to go around the forum and collect all these bug reports into one spreadsheet, a ticket system if you will. We're getting a lot of great feedback that we can't jump on fixing immediately here so a lot of it is going to be buried if we don't figure something out on how to get it all in one place.

@Thunderbrd
Is this in your tracker?
There is no need for obsoleting manufactured stuff unless their manufacturer never obsoletes and resource isn't needed anymore.
You can always export them no matter, if you just learned to control fire, plasma or vacuum collapse (yep there are techs named controlled X placed on beginning, middle and end of tech tree :p)

What we have there.....
There might be manufactured resource obsoletions, that shut off entire building chains or just shut off single buildings.
Most recent case was with automobiles reported by @Snofru1 - I simply commented out obsoletions of automobiles and automobiles.

Things like papyrus (map resource) may be obsoleted, but it should be done carefully as to not kill their consumers.

Current manufacturing resources, that obsolete:
Books at Mind Uploading. Engineering School is killed, and it gives valuable :hammers:. Some religious buildings also get killed.
Furs at Plastics. We still use furs.
Ivory at Plastics. What about poachers and demand for ivory in Asia?
Saddles at Vertical Flight. Saddles are used in sports and tourism involved with horses.
Scrolls at Personal Computers. This one looks as most legit thing to actually obsolete.
Stone Tools at Iron Working. No issues with obsoleting that.
Tablets (not those electronic ones) at Paper. Like stone tools or scrolls have no economic value, just purely historical.

It appears only this seven of manufactured resources obsolete.

Engineering School is killed, and it gives valuable :hammers:
:sarcasm: Right, because engineers don't ever work with Computers. :rolleyes:

Stone Tools at Iron Working. No issues with obsoleting that.
I would prefer the Stone Tools Workshop to upgrade either to the Forge or to the Mining Camp - that way, you lose stone tools because you can produce something better, not because someone has discovered metalworking without there being any metals (and how do you mine the first metal resources anyway if you throw your stone tools away immediately?).

The other resources could give boni to the Museum or similar buildings.

:sarcasm: Right, because engineers don't ever work with Computers. :rolleyes:

I would prefer the Stone Tools Workshop to upgrade either to the Forge or to the Mining Camp - that way, you lose stone tools because you can produce something better, not because someone has discovered metalworking without there being any metals (and how do you mine the first metal resources anyway if you throw your stone tools away immediately?).

The other resources could give boni to the Museum or similar buildings.
I guess I'll comment out all those obsoletions.
They will be easy to restore if someone wants but its better to produce something unneeded than not produce needed thing.

I would prefer the Stone Tools Workshop to upgrade either to the Forge or to the Mining Camp
It would make sense to have the Mining Camp be its upgrade as they tend to work along similar principles.

Reactions: tmv
Regarding this subject. older powerplants should definitely not disappear magically when fusion power tech is invented but stay and await for replacement by the newer and better alternatives.

It is quite nasty to notice that at the dawn of fusion energy era, all of my cities that use biomass powerplants for example are suddenly without electricity.

Last edited:
Actually, the real problem is more about some buildings producing ressource goes obsolete and you don't have time (or another problem) tu build the replacment.
That happend twice in my last game, with Book/Dye at industrialism (yes, and becuse you can't see where your dye wome from, I didn't know I had no Book Factory) and the second time with Sculpture at ... Can't remember when, maybe Virtual Reality. Yes, I had more time, but a lot ofsculpure and Sculputur factory is a generic building with nearly no bunuses and I already had 60+ sculptures. I m sure some AI can hvae this problem too.

I far prefer how Toy ressource work. The basuc building that give Toy never go obsolete, but is replaced by better ones.

Actually, the real problem is more about some buildings producing ressource goes obsolete and you don't have time (or another problem) tu build the replacment.
That happend twice in my last game, with Book/Dye at industrialism (yes, and becuse you can't see where your dye wome from, I didn't know I had no Book Factory) and the second time with Sculpture at ... Can't remember when, maybe Virtual Reality. Yes, I had more time, but a lot ofsculpure and Sculputur factory is a generic building with nearly no bunuses and I already had 60+ sculptures. I m sure some AI can hvae this problem too.

I far prefer how Toy ressource work. The basuc building that give Toy never go obsolete, but is replaced by better ones.
Looks like we would need some sort of resource manager, that would list what resources we produce, what we don't produce, but we could and what currently researchable techs are obsoleteing concerning resource producing buildings.

Looks like we would need some sort of resource manager, that would list what resources we produce, what we don't produce, but we could and what currently researchable techs are obsoleteing concerning resource producing buildings.
Or perhaps a counter where you can see for every normal building in the construction popup how often it has been built in your empire.

Top Bottom