Booga games diar..rhea

Ok :D
Passed myself by 7 turns, without taking a chance with the spaceship not arriving ;) Submitted!

The slot : {Duel, Noble, Space Colony}
The Record : 1165AD on FLAT Terra with Pacal.

My capital started in a very good starting location, and Ghandi had a very.. food rich city that became WallSt.
Early on, I already spotted marble and stone on my continent, including the trifecta GemGoldSilver.
I wanted this game, the map was too good to be true, but the start was to become messy.

MESSY START
=============
Musa was close to me and I had to settle the excellent stone location (Ironworks city) that was even closer.
Bronze working was my wet dream, but I handled my (food + gem) advantages without it as I could to reach alphabet. Still he didn't have it :(
I don't remember how the BW issue ended, but the one good surprise was that Musa DID learn code of laws for me. I learned meditation myself and was then a Budhist.

Since Monotheism was given to me - I could now do something I rarely get to do - switch to slavery and organized religion and leave bureaucracy for later. That was ok.
But -- I still researched civil service before metal casting... as if I didn't already had Org.rel. to start forges.
That wasn't ok, and I even thought of quitting, but the map was too good.
A bit late with the Academy in Cap, but not too much.

Mid game
==========

Minimized my losses, and on to Universities and Oxford... very late on both accounts, but I built more cities and they were starting to show their... fertility.
Went to America, and BOOM, found my Astronomy from a hut :) Plus, excellent locations for 4 cities.
1st gamble win. No engineer yet. Got a priest.

My main continent would have around 10 cities by Astronomy time.
Started my first GA a bit after Banking (turn 303) at over 20 turns below my record, but with more cities.
Musa had a great scientist like half the games, and thus gave me Philosophy, which is a nice boost (along with Iron Working and Calendar)

I reached my 20 workers at the GA start and kept the entire GA on serfdom. That's the only kick I need with the workers.
Left the GA (turn 326) with representation and caste system.
Continued as planned (but NO random GAs :( )

Late game
============
Everything worked like clockwork at the end stages, besides the very end.
I was 7 turns early at Mining co (turn 386) and Sushi (turn 421).
The engineer came just in time for mining, but he did have 80% chance, so I think that's ok as a plan..
Did that with hanging gardens.... still wondering if early pyramids is somehow doable and worth it on this setting.
My only concern was getting too close to the domination limit. I didn't reach it :)

I planned that with this size I could squeeze the ending into 2 GAs, but I always miss a few turns.
This time too. My last 4 turns were not in a GA. I think if I start them sooner, I should get to have 3 consecutive ones, which is better, and therefor an error done on this game.

Last words (hmmm... wrong period of time to say that?)
===========

Need to fine tune the ending, and did learn a lot.
Especially, I'm starting to get used to the fact that flat maps have half the distance maintenance.
This means more cities than I could normally support, and a stronger next game. Yey! :egypt:
To finish off, let me just say : Corona! :smoke:Plague! :borg: Not touching the subject :grouphug:
Oh, and hope to get in the current update, but it doesn't really matter :p

I think you are still not expanding fast enough. In my attempts on Terra I had at least 30 cities before Astronomy. There is no reason that you should not be able to have just as many on Noble. Also, I prefer a 100% great engineer, typically early Mids+HG and hired engineer with forge. Watch out for the governor, that bastard will often hire a spy reardless of the priorities. I think the safest is to set it to :hammers: just as an extra precaution, but I always set up reminders for the next growth of GE city.

Good going. Golden age running out before launch really only matters if parts get out of sync. i.e. Launching and then having 4 more turns of golden age is just 4 wasted turns. You did not waste any of the golden age.

I think you are still not expanding fast enough. In my attempts on Terra I had at least 30 cities before Astronomy. There is no reason that you should not be able to have just as many on Noble. Also, I prefer a 100% great engineer, typically early Mids+HG and hired engineer with forge. Watch out for the governor, that bastard will often hire a spy reardless of the priorities. I think the safest is to set it to :hammers: just as an extra precaution, but I always set up reminders for the next growth of GE city.

30 cities? :O
I remind you I am on Duel, and on Noble there are no settler and workers from goody huts...
With only 2 initial cities (including Delhi), building the Pyramids is hell..

And.. Governor?? who's that? ;) I micromanage myself all the way.

Good going. Golden age running out before launch really only matters if parts get out of sync. i.e. Launching and then having 4 more turns of golden age is just 4 wasted turns. You did not waste any of the golden age.

Yes, not a complete waste, but I think if I start the GA earlier, I can usually have 3 in a row, which will be an improvement.
Note that this is after the first 2 GAs in the game - after banking and at railroad.

30 cities? :O
I remind you I am on Duel, and on Noble there are no settler and workers from goody huts...
With only 2 initial cities (including Delhi), building the Pyramids is hell..

Yes, on Duel, I haven't played Mrathon/Space on larger maps yet. On tiny it would be about 50 I think, or whatever number homeland allows. With corporations the number of cities is very important, because they produce the same amount of :food:/:hammers:/:science: in every city, making even size 1 city very useful. In fact, the smaller the city is the better - less maintenance.

And.. Governor?? who's that? ;) I micromanage myself all the way.

The governor is that stupid git that decides what a new citizen will do when a city grows even if you did turn every kind of automation off. His top priority is spies, which is particularly annoying when you need to avoid GP pool contamination, forcing you to check certain cities regularly.

With corporations the number of cities is very important, because they produce the same amount of :food:/:hammers:/:science: in every city, making even size 1 city very useful. In fact, the smaller the city is the better - less maintenance.

This is a very interesting and true point.
Why didn't I think about it?! Bad me! I will probably think about this approach and test more cities!
Since I get to have the corporations only for a 100 turns (sushi even less), the city sprawling should be near the end.
The flip coin of this is that I do need at least 8 big cities to build the spaceship as it is now... I need to think, but thank you for this idea.

About the governor.. I rarely use "prefer food" and stuff, and when ANY city grows, I go in and micromanage it. Ctrl+Tab used every turn for the list so I don't miss anything :)

If there's something that bugs me is the minimum half hour play time..
Sometimes I go to play and suddenly feel so anxious I want to leave after a few turns and get back another time, but I usually keep going for awhile to not break the rules.

I know I play slow, so I feel bad leaving a session after 20-30 turns since I don't know if that's an issue or not.
I also don't know if just leaving civ on for an hour while I need to do something is ok, but I'm guessing it is.
I try to minimize all :) , but some guidance will be appreciated.
I know the official rules, just bothered about end cases. Paranoidically, perhaps.. :O

For example, I'm now in a good start and am writing on the forum in another window.. ;)

If there's something that bugs me is the minimum half hour play time..

Heh. Sometimes I save the game, minimize the screen and go to sleep. Or plan ahead in a notebook. Games that used to take me 36 hours now take me over 100.

Just was in the middle of a good game.
Br.Working, Astronomy, had my engineer ready... power outage. Just a few seconds. No rain. No nothing.
Arggggggggggggggggg!
Looked at rules... changed Auto saves from 4 turns to one in INI file.
Arggggggggggggggggg!
Will do better!

Get yourself a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). I am not an expert, but a few seconds or minutes of power supply safety shouldn't be too expensive.

Cheers

Avoided it most my life, but yes, I think you got the answer there.. :|

I thought there was an option to save at the end of turn. Couldn't find it after a quick look. But I'm sure I haven't messed with the ini file and my Buffy saves at the end of turn.

But I'm sure I haven't messed with the ini file and my Buffy saves at the end of turn.
The default CivilizationIV.ini file setting: "AutoSaveInterval" is 5 but for HOF it must be set to 1, you've probably set it in the past and forgot!

The default CivilizationIV.ini file setting: "AutoSaveInterval" is 5 but for HOF it must be set to 1, you've probably set it in the past and forgot!
No. My auto save interval is still set to 4. My last game was accepted without incident even though there was a power outage. So I must have manually saved right before the outage? Chalk one up to sipping coffee.

Those setting also are set to default once in a while for no apparent reason. At least it does happen to me.

BTW, I've just filled a report after another outage. Hope this does pass as it happened just 5 turns prior doination victory and there is no reason to cheat with reloading, seeing as the old record was beaten by more than 20 turns, anyway.

Last edited:
Somehow these games on duel got me looking at an old game where I tried a duel chieftain terra. The GP counter at the 1015 AD finish was at 4200. I am not happy with that. That's awful. I'm tempted to dial up Frederick for a duel chieftain and see how high the GP counter gets. Maybe see how the flat terra works too.

Another power outage half an hour ago :(
It's a good game since I found a better starting strategy, although I don't have coal yet.
I think I'm headed for a record, and if so I'm going to try and submit this one anyway with all the crash exception rules.
One of the positives in this is that I think it was just the start of turn and I only did CTRL+A to move previous orders, and then the crash.
If so, it will be easy to reproduce exactly.
Will play at night assuming I will be up since there are less crash chances..

I hate buying stuff but now UPS is a priority :|

Booga!

Last edited:
Top Bottom