boring early game

civIII

Chieftain
What do you guys do early on to make it more fun. I find the long production times along with small amount of cities make it really boring. Especially when you go for wonders. For example with germany I get GL asap and time it so I can leapfrog to Civil Service. My warrior is out looking for barbs to convert however it just turns into a really boring process of attacking a hut, waiting 5 turns to heal, then attacking again.

Early games to me are the best part of CIV. Especially on Marathon setting. It's in the early game where you make those decisions that determine the rest of the game. But yes, it can be a little lonesome, especially if you're on an island by yourself.

My advice.... just smoke some grass and enjoy the tranquility. ;)

Ah, so thaaaat's what the Plantation tech is for! :D

Cheer up, unless you are playing on islands, Alex or Monty or someone will be along shortly to liven things up.

Switch on raging barbarians and set speed to standard.

I used to play on epic but epic's to slow for me on civ 5 due to reduced hammers.

You will easily find out which ai is being a dunce and which one is being decent due to raging barbs.

Once lost all my units except for one warrior in one game to a rather large swarm of barbs.

Immediately, Washington, Monty, dec'd war on me.

Gandhi almost dec'd war on me I think.

Pity for them, by the time their units reached my borders I rebuilt my military by then. Silly AI don't they know that warriors is cheap to build..
I lost like 10+ warriors.

Monty reached my border and saw a new huge army and went aw screw that and left and requested for peace treat and gave me gold as apology.

Washington however for some reason has longswordmen and was bent on killing me. He too cowardly to take casualities killing me. He could've won, all those knights/pikemen/longswordmen vs warriors and spearmen and archers in jungle territory. But he lost five longswordmen attempting to draw me out of my borders. He called it quits and went after monty.

So apparently, they have access to some kind of demographics that tell them military strength of a civilization that I don't -,- the best I can get is stuff from military advisor.

The early game is the best part.

It's when you are planning your tech tree, and making very important decisions like:

"what policies should I get"
"where should I place these settlers"
"what should I use my limited hammers on"
"which AI should I attack first"

You might need to up the difficulty a notch. Try Deity level, and you will never see the early game the same way again.

I generally like early game. If I play it right ill leave my military weak and the AI will give me a free war without a warmongering tic.

Early game in almost every Civ is always the best part.

That is the time where the game could go in so many directions, resources are extremely limited and you can actually blow past turns fast or sit and contemplate a strategy for a long time.

Mid to late game, you're usually executing a high level strat to win or stop someone from winning and you are pretty much on a few set courses then.

In your civilization V folder, go to:
.../Gameplay/XML/GameInfo/ and edit the CIV5GameSpeeds.xml

Cut the TrainPercent -value in half for the game speed setting you play and you will be able to train military units twice as fast.

I love the early game and rarely ever finish a game. Lately I rarely even get much further than tanks, I just get bored of it all and already know who is going to win. It's either me or the runaway AI and I just find it a huge chore trying to beat down a massive runaway Civ... life's too short so I just start a new game and start enjoying myself again.

Early games to me are the best part of CIV. Especially on Marathon setting. It's in the early game where you make those decisions that determine the rest of the game. But yes, it can be a little lonesome, especially if you're on an island by yourself.

Being alone on a lonely continent or some such place can be nice sometimes, just worying about barbs and stuff. Also makes going for an early astronomy/navigation strategy all that more desireable hehe.

Agreed.

I love the early game and rarely ever finish a game. Lately I rarely even get much further than tanks, I just get bored of it all and already know who is going to win. It's either me or the runaway AI and I just find it a huge chore trying to beat down a massive runaway Civ... life's too short so I just start a new game and start enjoying myself again.

I play Epic games usually. If I play in one big long stretch, I too, often find the game come to more of a standstill. I've seen many times that if I save a game, and pick it up later, a dull game suddenly becomes interesting again as I decide to do something I didn't care for last time.

So I think it's also about us players playing for too long ;).

I find that I keep busy enough in the early game, but I dislike it for entirely diffierent reasons. In the first 100 or so turns I always feel rather presured since I usually run a Wonder centric type strategy.

I usually play on Prince or King. And Prince purely to shake some of the pressure actually :p

I generally hate late game in all Civ games.

The early game is my favorite part. I do find the game feels a bit slower than Civ 4 though, I suspect it's the longer processing time to end each turn slowing down the pace of the game.

Whether or not the early game is boring depends probably on game style. If you play Civ very casually, i.e. move around the map and settle here and there without giving city placement much thought, I can imagine the early game being a bit bland until the first wars start.

If however, the game is played like most of us do, meaning with at least some strategic thought put into each move, the first turns and the exploration are clearly the best part as each step can challenge or boost your strategy.

From what you write I would assume that you are currently in the middle of the two. Add some more strategy and set some early goals (i.e. try to find a coast to have access to the sea, be the first to contact CS to get a gold bonus, find as many different luxuries as possible and see if you can settle near them without stretching you empire too far etc.).

Top Bottom