BOTM 111 Final Spoiler: Little BOTM Player vs the Staff

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff

BOTM 111 - Final Spoiler - Game Submitted or Abandoned

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 111, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless you have either submitted your entry or you've abandoned the game and won't submit. (Remember though: If you decide not to finish the game, please consider submitting your latest save as a retired game - so it's recorded that you played and where you got up to).

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game. Did you win? Did you annihilate any of the staff? (I hope because if so - how do you expect those staff people to prepare any more games for you ;)

Posting Restrictions

• Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

I finally made contact with Deckhand in 520, when he volunteered to become AlanH's vassal. It seems that kcd_swede and Humbaba had been giving him a hard time. These teams would fight two long wars, which gave me time for my wars in the east.

I conquered neilmeister in 560, then went to war with DynamicSpirit in 740. I took four of his cities, including Delhi, before making peace for some tech in 1170. Before I could rebuild my army for another war, he volunteered to become my vassal in 1230. :)

The other powers have ended their wars by the time I attack Humbaba in 1290. I capture two border cities, then sign a ceasefire in 1360, when I see a large counterattacking stack approaching.

I attack again in 1500 and capture another city. It looks like it will be a long war of attrition, when AlanH/Deckhand join the war against kcd_swede/Humbaba in 1565. With that, kcd_swede/Humbaba suddenly agree to capitulate to me! :smug:

I and my vassals attack AlanH/Deckhand in 1575 and I capture Washington in 1590. kcd_swede had previously been reduced to one city, so I'm not surprised when AlanH captured it to destroy the Viking Empire in 1600. What does surprise me is that this event causes Humbaba to immediately break free from his vassalage! :mad: He's furious at me, but at least he's still at war with the others and he doesn't cancel our open borders. :whew:

I capture Deckhand's last two cities by 1630. I lay siege to Warwick (a well-defended hill town), but my first assault with a large cannon barrage is unsuccessful. It's not until I research railroads that I can finally amass a sufficient stack of rifles and cannons to take the city in 1750. I think AlanH had about 25 redcoats in the city, along with a dozen or so cavalry, airships and a cannon or two, when I made the final assault.

I take another city. Humbaba takes one and makes peace in 1785. I finally capture London in 1795 and AlanH capitulates. But I'm still not quite at the Domination threshold.

So...I and my two surviving vassals attack Humbaba again in 1800. I take one city and achieve a Domination victory in 1808, for what I'm sure will be another middle-of-the-pack finish with 121,778 points.

If I had realized that sacrificing kcd_swede would have cost me Humbaba's vassalage, I would have delayed the war against AlanH/Deckhand long enough to reinforce kcd_swede with my own units. I think that delay might have saved me a century, at least. Some more attention to developing my economy/science would have helped, too. AlanH got infantry before I did, and I really needed railroads sooner to speed my troop movements.

And, incidentally, while I did get the circumnavigation bonus, I only got around to researching astronomy when the game ended. That meant that the Colossus was still working for me ;)

Thanks for the game, and thanks to all of the staff who lent their names to my victory!

Conquest in 1010AD.

As mentioned before, DynamicSpirit's warnings and unusual power ratings shown for demographics made me overly cautious, and I didn't War Chariot rush neilmeister + DynamicSpirit as I should have and only took their cities with Catapults.

After that, with 12 cities at 1AD, the train just kept running. Maces + Trebs were enough to win the game. I didn't think the staff would fold that easily, especially the team of Humbaba/kcd_swede which capitulated much sooner than I thought.

Good: After taking the three mainland cities, kept the war against DynamicSpirit going until I had Feudalism so I could vassal him and didn't have to enter his continent.
Good: Everyone ganged up on Deckhand (why don't you like him?), who made a valiant stand and reduced their stacks quite a bit, so the conquest was very easy.
Bad: For some reason I thought that teching towards Liberalism - Military Tradition would speed up my conquest, but by the time I reached Liberalism the conquest was almost over. I should have turned off research much sooner, teched Guilds (instead of Education - Nationalism) as my final tech and whipped out a big stack of Knights for speeding up the final conquests.

It feels good to be the master of all the BOTM staff ;)!

Hi

Very long time since last BOTM, but this was fun.

Lost 2 starting warriors to barbs and had very limited map vision. Didnt know what to aim for at first, usually going for diplo, but hadnt met all players and got Music and I had that marble, so I thought I'd try culture.

Managed to take 2 barb cities , 1 of them I liberated to Mansa and gave him the 2 workers there- didnt need it at that point :cool:. Flipped 2 cities from Mansa due to culture.

I researched to printing press, then liberalism and took nationalism. AIs very far behind. Had to research lso Compass for Harbor and then stopped somewhere in the 700AD and 100% culture since. Got cottage to town for the legendary cities except one city which used 19 of 20 tiles, incl. 15 water tiles and had Maos which was very nice in all the golden ages. It became a 24 city with 5 artists.

Built: TGL, MoM (+50% golden age length), GLib, Temple of Art., Parthenon, Sixt. Chapel, Taj Mahal, - in capitol hermitage and national epic - got some other great persons here but they fuels Golden Ages.

No wars ofc, just pressing end of turn in the end. :king:

Not much times these days to play much CivIV, but an Emperor difficulty game was just what I was looking for. Happy to say this was my first Emperor victory. Sorry it came at the expense of all the developers.

I'd tried both military approach and culture approach in Emperor games before but never succeeded. From the beginning, I decided I was going to try via Space. Initially built 5 cities and captured a barbarian town for a total of 6. Cottaged early to get help with the research and then tried to play nice with all the AIs.

Deckhand was a whipping boy in my game as well. He was a vassal of kcd_swede and Humbaba. With neilmeister and Dynamic Spirit on each side of me, I was really trying to keep them happy. I selected hinduism which was founded by neilmeister and that kept me on his good side most of the game. Actually had a defensive pact with him for the last 100 turns or so.

Dynamic Spirit was the biggest thorn in my side. He was going for a culture victory and Delhi was pushing my boundaries back from the captured barbarian town. I ended up losing access to spices because of this. Luckily, Dynamic Spirit was harassed by most of the other AIs throughout the game. He was involved in 2 - 3 prolonged wars. Near the end of the game, he was involved in a war with Humbaba, kcd_swede, and Deckhand. My military power was close to his. With 5 turns before my spaceship arrived, I attacked him and took Delhi just because of the grief he'd caused me all game.

Spaceship victory in 1954. Not going to break any records with that one, but happy to get an Emperor victory under my belt.

Top Bottom