[BTS] BOTM 166 Final Spoiler

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff
BOTM 166 - Father Ragnus .. Final Spoiler

Did you win?

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 166 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

Last edited:
Did you win?

Yes!

At Immortal difficulty, that would be remarkable enough. But this is also the only game I can recall where I never fought a war with any of the AI. Napoleon had one war against Willem, then two more against both Roosevelt and Boudica, but these were basically stalemates. My immediate neighbors remained peaceful, although I was worried when both Julius and HC were at WHEOOHRN for considerable periods.

I concentrated on my science and eventually on the space race. Although I led the AP at times, and later the UN, I never had the votes for a diplomatic victory. When the AI were at war with each other, I was content with my diplomatic power to let those wars continue.

I was first to complete Apollo, in 1848. I completed the Internet in 1898 (which gained me some techs I didn't need for space, but more importantly prevented any of the AI from learning my techs) and the Space Elevator in 1902. As usual, I generally ignored the espionage game, but I stationed some spies defensively in my own cities. While the AI stole a couple techs, they never sabotages any of my space ship components, as has happened in other games. I was confident that this race would be mine.

I had only one SS Casing to complete, which I had one of my low production cities building. I had founded Mining, Inc., which helped some, but HC had gone wild spreading his Creative Constructions throughout my empire, which knocked down that city's production enough to delay my launch. I'd re-establish Mining, Inc., then he'd immediately send another of his CC executives! Annoying, but not enough to be significant, I thought.

And then, with 7 turns left before that SS Casing was completed, one of HC's cities reached legendary status, and I realized two other cities would reach legendary in just 12 turns! :eek: (It has been a while since I had paid attention to culture, when everyone was still long away from that goal). Now what do I do? Launching the spaceship now would take 10 turns to reach Alpha Centauri, but with only an 80% chance of success. I hated taking that risk, when I was so close to completion and 100% success, but I saw no alternative and launched.

And then HC must have completed some other cultural improvement, because now I saw that Cuzco would become his third legendary city even faster. I dispatched all of my defensive spies to Cuzco, with the intention of provoking revolts in that city. Some failed, but two succeeded (each slowing down the cultural growth by one turn) and in the end my ship reached Alpha Centauri in 1942, when Cuzco was just one turn away from giving HC a cultural victory. Whew!

I realized I had one other option to save my endgame, which was going to war to take one of the legendary cities. While that could have worked fine strictly in terms of game mechanics (where I only needed to extend the game by a couple turned to achieve my space victory), it seemed riskier if one was to think more "realistically" of the long-term prospects for Father Ragnar's empire, particularly with strong neighbors that might have joined any war on HC's side. For fun, I tried replaying this endgame from 1938. I declared war in 1939, blitzkrieging Machu Picchu and razing it in 1940. Victory would come again in 1942, with a slightly lower score, probably reflecting the military strength I lost in the attack.

@MarleysGh0st Nice job! I have had that feeling of "Oh, I should check how they are doing in culture, iiiiick! 12 turns!!" Good thing you had them spies to send. :)

I was abit low on motivation in my game, abit too much crazy going on for my taste, so I decided to go culture because it seemed like the easiest way out.
Techrate in the early game was insane so I got to CS+machinery very quickly and took HC's cities with berserkers, he had established himself offshore and was liked so I took him as a vassal to get some trades later on.

Spread 4 religion to 12 cities (I think 9 is enough?`) and built the +50% culture shrines in 3 cities, cranked the culture slider as high as possible and then more or less just pushed enter for the rest of the game.
Stopped to look for trades where I could sell some techs to backwards civs every few turns, to enable higher slider.
It's really scary when you get no new tech, and have no military and JC raises a red fist....
Was prepared to just resign if that would have happend.

I realized I had one other option to save my endgame, which was going to war to take one of the legendary cities. While that could have worked fine strictly in terms of game mechanics (where I only needed to extend the game by a couple turned to achieve my space victory), it seemed riskier if one was to think more "realistically" of the long-term prospects for Father Ragnar's empire, particularly with strong neighbors that might have joined any war on HC's side. For fun, I tried replaying this endgame from 1938. I declared war in 1939, blitzkrieging Machu Picchu and razing it in 1940. Victory would come again in 1942, with a slightly lower score, probably reflecting the military strength I lost in the attack.

Well done on the victory!

You possibly had another alternative: Declare war a few turns earlier, giving you time to finish your last casing, so you could have the 100% chance of reaching space. In that case, I think all you would do to guarantee winning the game in that case would be to (a) capture one of HC's high-culture cities before he wins cultural, (b) make sure that he doesn't capture either the city you're building your last SS casing in, or your capital (where the spaceship is considered to be stored) prior to launching it. (c) Once the spaceship is launched, stay alive until it reaches Alpha Centauri.

By the way, I also have direct experience of that 'should've checked culture' feeling: In a GOTM a few years ago, if I recall correctly, my spaceship was actually in flight, and I was feeling proud to have finished it a bit earlier than I normally manage to. Then suddenly, the victory message pops up. I'm a bit surprised because I thought my victory wasn't coming for another turn or two. Then I read it properly... it was declaring a cultural victory for one of the AIs! Since then, I've been a lot more careful about checking the cultural bit of the victories screen!

Victory would come again in 1942, with a slightly lower score, probably reflecting the military strength I lost in the attack.
Well done, Marley. Military strength no impact on score. If same date, I bet you whipped or drafted some units as population is the single most important parameter for score.

I got conquest in 1600AD for 265k points. In the early ADs I elepulted the Incan main land cities but left the offshore cities. Then it was cuirs and cavs, vassaling JC first. Next went Boudica, but she spun off Churchill while at war, so it took a long time before she'd kiss the ring, although she did so when Churchill was still her vassal. Same turn Churchill also recognized Santa's leadership. The Incans were finished off meanwhile. After some healing I declared on America and the relatively powerful Napoleon with his vassal Willem. Killed Willem first, then vassaled Roosey and finally stubborn old Nappy with his gazillion caravels succumbed too. Thanks for the game, quite some work but fun!

Top Bottom