[BTS] BOTM 257: Hatshepsut, Deity - First Spoiler - 1AD

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff
BOTM 257: Hatshepsut, Deity - First Spoiler - 1AD

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD

Reading Requirements
If you are participating in BOTM 257, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
  • Do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
  • Do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

As I almost exclusively play as Hatshepsut, I have to try this GOTM. Not a deity player, so I do Contender class, which is supposed to be for those who feel comfortable at noble/prince. Not convinced that the extra settler+worker really make it that easy, but what the heck, I should be able to handle emperor and maybe immortal. After all, deity does not make the AI smarter, it just gets more bonuses, which can be mostly compensated by just having some more cities than the AI. So maybe an early war to take out a neighbor using War chariots?

Considered settling on the plains hill, but the tile at east side of river seemed to be a nice spot for bureau cap with helper cities. Sporrted around 8 additional nice spots for cities, of which the northern-most might be claimed by the Persians first, and the 2 western-most (rice+clam) might be claimed by the Celts. Did consider a war chariot campaign, but I decided that building up my bureau cap + helper cities was more important, as I wanted to win the lib race and go for cuirs. Was afraid that a war chariot rush would delay cuirs too much.

Could only settle 6 cities total, as Persia claimed the northern-most one, and also both western-most ones. Wasn't too upset about that, as Boudica was having a big mouth to me, but now she would probably go harass Persia instead. I put Persia on top of my target list, as I would easily be able to isolate these 2 western-most cities.

Built granary+cheap libraries+barracks+forge in all cities, stables in some. The center cities would be growing cottages and benefit from libraries, and the outer cities needed them for culture. Later they could help with some GSs.

Adopted Buddhism, the first religion to spread in my cities by Hammurabi, and later Pacal joined the Buddhist block as well. Cyrus, Hannibal and Alexander went Judaism, and the Celts took Hinduism.

Got monarchy in 1160 BC, currency in 1000 BC, switched to bureau in 600 BC, after an earlier switch to caste/pac. Won the Music-race, switched to Org reg to build forges and started a Golden Age in 300 BC, to get some Great Scientists. The only wonder I tried to build was the Great Library, but Pacal beat me to it. I think I got 5 Great Scientists total, for Philo, academy, 2 x edu, and lib.

By that time, Boudica had already attacked the Persians, a 400-year war that would last until 25 BC. Nice timing, as by 1 AD I am 2 turns away from MT, and a switch to slav/theocracy. Never had such an early date for cuirs, the tech rate is insane :)

But now I notice Alexander seems to be preparing for war against me or Hammurabi, and I'd rather not fight against 2 AIs simultaneously....

Not sure how u guys count Pop, but demographics screen says 4.5 million.

my cities:
Spoiler :

hatshepsut_1AD0000.JPG

Edit: Lol, I only notice now that Pacal is very close to getting Lib as well.

Last edited:
Settled 1W to get the corn and gold within the capital FC. Worker first researching Mining - BW - Pottery. Circled the neighbourhood with the warrior and discovered a very promising location for a second city, 7 tiles diagonally SE, with fish, crab, deer and double silver. Unfortunately, Hammurabi's capital was quite close, so I kept my warrior near to see where his third settler would go. It went further north, so I got my second city in this location. A bit of a gambit because it had no early trade routes due to the distance to my capital. My third city went to the much closer back-up location to the SW with gold, cow and corn. I have met all the AI and for a while I was concerned with my safety because I shared a substantial border with Cyrus and for a long time in the BC's he was only cautious and Boudica refused to send any missionaries to spread Hinduism to either me or Cyrus. Finally, I got an auto-spread and immediately traded for Buddhism, whipped a Monastery and chopped a missionary for Cyrus's capital. After this, my diplomatic situation improved a lot. My neighbours Boudica and Cyrus became pleased and Alex attacked Hammurabi (worst enemy) and not me. Later he bribed Cyrus to join and shortly before 1AD I joined the dogpile and captured a Babylonian city. Hammurabi is definitely toast. Alex has a huge stack of close to twenty units attacking one of his border cities and Cyrus also has a decent stack attacking another border city. I'm heading for Babylon and the Mids next while simultaneously attacking a small border city that separates Memphis from the rest of my empire.
Stats @1AD: 8 cities and 56 pop. Tech up to Construction and Feudalism, Drama in two turns to facilitate a Philo bulb. Army consists of 15 cats, 7 WE's, 5 War Chariots and 4 axes.
The plan is to capture 4-5 more of the Babylonian cities and then turn my attention to Pacal. The Mayans have built most of the World Wonders and are tech leaders, but have a small empire of only 5 cities, so numbers can probably overwhelm them. Alex may become a problem. He's currently pleased, so Hannibal or Cyrus are more like targets for him when the Babylonians are gone, but you never know with this guy. Another problem is Hannibal, who is spreading Christianity with missionaries and since he's the only one with Theology he is likely to build the AP and start causing trouble.

I also settled 1W and am still alive! :) Actually this seems like an easier than usual Deity game--if I'm harboring hopes of a win, it must mean that the real players are romping. ;) 9 cities and 47 pop. I just attacked Hammy in 75 BC with elepults and have taken my first city from him. As Frederiksberg said, Hammy is relatively small and backward, and unloved by fellow AIs, not least because he's following the wrong religion. I was too late to settle the silver site to the SE, but that's the one I just captured. :devil: I'm last in score with 787; Persia is leading with 1245 and 11 cities. The Mayans are really hogging the Wonders(!) but have the fewest cities. I missed out on the marble site to the north but did manage to snag the gold/pigs site to its east. Also lost the isthmus site out west to Boudica but I think I've confined her to no farther than that. Plan is to capture another few cities from Hammy, take a breather to get Engineering, then finish him off with trebs. Maybe then go after Pacal if he's not too far ahead in tech??

I think this game is a little easier in the beginning compared to the average Deity game because of the double gold and the many other nearby resources. But the AI has pretty god land as well, so the late game will be difficult. I'm hoping the elepult strategy will pay off. The alternative would have been to keep a small empire of ~ 7-8 cities and tech towards cuirs or rifles and first then start capturing more land.

Also considered PH settling. But the deserts and lakes didn't look good, so went 1W like everybody.
Good starting area, nice resources and not immediately contested. With barbs this would have been much tougher. Was able to expand into 7 cites, the last ones settled by 1000BC. Only the west was still open then, but I couldn't afford much more and had enough to work with. Eventually Cyrus in his massive cityspam took it, shielding me nicely from Boudica. So also 1000BC was the peek of maintenance murdering my techrate, but I finished limping to Aestethics and got a massive trade refill (cheapo leftovers and up to Alphabet/Monarchy).
Initially 3 equal camps of religion. Then Cyrus switched away from camp Boudica (Hindu) to camp Hannibal/Alex (Confu). This was very good news, since Boudica is almost guaranteed to DoW someone and now it was almost certainly going to be Cyrus (and she did) and not me. Later Alex switched to camp Pacal/Hammurabi (Apostolic Buddhist). Till 1AD I remained neutral. 6 of my cities are converted to Buddhist (Confu and Hindu just 1), so I will happily go with the Buddhist camp next turn when I will finish N-Epic and also make a switch into Caste and Paci for a massive GP catch up. I will be heading for Cuirs and see where it goes from there. Another nice development is that the best techers Pacal/Hannibal are also the smallest with 6 cities each, good for the sake of balance.

So, apart from Boudica vs Cyrus stalemate, a peaceful game, no plotting either. Pacal has 2/3 of all the wonders.
CoL got me Calender/Currency/Construction. A mix of such Feudalism. I'm ahead Philo and CS on everybody except Hannibal. 2 leaders have Music/Theo. Pacal has MC/Mach/Paper. He's not willing to trade anything.

At 1AD 7 cities, 68 pop, 170 beakers at break-even (no wealth/research building, 24gpt tradegold).

Last edited:
challenger save
I lost my only warrior to a bear. Then T15 Thebes was surrounded by 4 barb warriors one of who walked into my territory. It was then when I realised "raging barbarians" was still on...

challenger save
I lost my only warrior to a bear. Then T15 Thebes was surrounded by 4 barb warriors one of who walked into my territory. It was then when I realised "raging barbarians" was still on...

Eeeek! Really sorry about that. Raging barbs shouldn't be on. I am investigating what happened. Assuming you still want to continue the game (without raging barbs) if you could PM me your latest save/autosave and I'll figure out a way to let you do that.

I believe I have now fixed the challenger save. But as per my previous post, if anyone has already opened the previous incorrect challenger save, please PM me.

It is rare that I even attempt a Deity game, I am simply too much of a 'builder' for it to work. However, the map seemed nice and I like Hatty, so I thought I would give this a go.

Settled 1W but after my warrior uncovered the second corn I seriously considered settling 2W1S (1N of the visible gold), when second gold was revealed I instantly regretted not following my instincts.... I wonder if anyone settled 1N of the PH gold and how they went.

Second city was coastal to get trade routes, with pigs/sheep/copper in the BFC.....horses showed up next to it not long after. Though it seems the map was designed to give you horses in the 2nd or 3rd city regardless (good design for deity!!)

I was first to Alphabet, but I got bugger all for it. Decided on Culture, got the Music GA.... trying to keep up with the AI in teching, doing so-so

edit: at 25bc (closest save I have to 0ad), I have 8 cities & 41 pop, though the pop goes up and down as I am whipping the crap out of my cities :)

Last edited:
I settled 1SW on the river and quickly regretted it when more food was revealed. At 250BC I had 7 cities, and population 33. I was able to keep tech parity past alphabet, but now am falling behind. I joined the Buddhist block (Babylon, Maya, Greek, and me) the rest are Hindu. Buddhism is now the AP religion so that's nice, and maybe could give me a way to win. Otherwise I will try maybe culture or diplo. No wars yet, but Boudica has the fist showing, so it won't be long before the bloodbaths begin. I almost never build walls but have walled all my frontier cities as a sort of deterrent. Now that all the good land is settled, I will focus on building more deterrent in the for of units. I filly expect to lose the game, but will go down fighting.:ar15:

I am (too?) late to this party. Wish I had started this one earlier, probably won't be able to finish it in time - unless some AI decides to finish me off first. :lol:

I settled 1SW as most people.

By 1AD we have 9 cities, 56 pop. Apart from the military police, our army has a total of 5 units(!). But we can build WE's, cats, Lbows and Xbows now. Luckily, the game has been completely peaceful so far.

The AI is split between Hindu (2), Confu (2), Judaism (1). Hammu and us have taken no religion yet. Hammu is worst enemy of 4 AIs. I suppose he would be our most probable first target if we continue the game.

Techwise we're up to Philosophy, Feudalism, Machinery, Calendar, Currency, Construction. If we go CS next it will take us 10 turns or so. A couple AI already have Lit, Drama, Music and Theo. We just built our 1st Wonder, the Parthenon. Maybe we could try going for culture, but I guess that would be almost suicide in a world where Deity AIs Alex, Boudica, Cyrus, Hanni, Pacal and Hammu are our neighbours. The war path could eventually succeed, but being the slow player that I am, there is no chance I would finish it in time.

Anyways, thanks for the game, I have enjoyed playing it a lot so far!

Challenger with Raging Barbs.

I believe that I played past 1 AD in my first session, so, do not worry about swapping out my game. It has been an enjoyable game; thank you!

Great Wall on Turn 40. After that, although I had to play catch-up, it was just like any other game.

Thankfully, it seems that all of the AIs had their capitals reasonably far away from us. Although that fact perhaps meant dealing with more Barbs, initially, it also meant that:
- there was more room for peaceful expansion once The Great Wall had been built
- there were at least 3 nearby Barb Cities to conquer with War Chariots/Axemen

1 AD Statistics:
8 Cities; 23 Population Points
It doesn't sound like much, but throw in the facts that I have 8 Granaries and 10 Apostolic-Palace Buildings, with plenty of Happiness and Healthiness to grow into, and the situation is looking quite positive
Have Metal Casting and Calendar; am about about to learn Code of Laws
All of the Religions except for Islam have been founded
Boudica declared war on Cyrus
Alex declared war on Hannibal
Hammurabi has 10+ Units in my territory, but they appear to just be going for a Barb City which I have yet to capture
Barb Galleys are proving troublesome and have sunk a couple of my Galleys, but I have a Trireme about to be completed

Probably the most interesting part is the what happened during the first turns, while getting to The Great Wall.

Thanks to tips from Fippy and LowtherCastle, I built Warriors without building a Worker. Once Masonry was unlocked, I built The Great Wall.

The only Hills River square initially visible meant burning the Gold by settling on top of it, with no guarantee of even getting a Food Resource. Yet, with the predicted Barb onslaught expected to happen on Turn 13, I wasn't about to worry about getting the "perfect 20-square-big-fat-cross capital." Survival was what was important, and having a River meant having better City Defence power from some angles of attack.

The fact that the PH Riv Gold square gave +1 Hammer and +1 Commerce was quite nice, but not absolutely necessary.

The other important part was that there were several Forsted squares to work. A Forested Deer would have been ideal, but seeing at least 2 G For squares and 2 P For squares from the initial screenshot meant that it was feasible to grow to Size 4 and then have a decent amount of Hammers for building a Wonder: 7 Hammers per turn without the Plains Hills square, 8 Hammers per turn with it. At 150 Hammers, that would be 22 Turns without the Plains Hills square or 19 Turns with it. Thus, the +1 Hammer was nice, but not as important as having those Forested squares. The Barbs could temporary block access to a Forest, but the Barbs could not Pillage a Forest.

Similarly, the +1 Commerce from the Gold was nice, but it does get dwarfed by the 8 Commerce from a Palace.

Indeed, it was nice that I also had two 3-Food squares for initial growth (G Corn and G Sheep), but they weren't strictly necessary. They may have sped up the path to The Great Wall by a couple of turns, as they meant that I could start working 4 Forests at-a-time a bit sooner.

Surely, I could beat the AIs to a Wonder if I beelined it, and thus it just came down to surviving the Barbs.

One trick to note is that when Barbs begin "area amassing" and then they receive the trigger to rush you, they quickly create a hole just behind of where they were, allowing new Barbs to spawn. Barbs with random movement typically prevent other Barbs from spawning (since Barb Units also act as spawn-buster Units), but such a hole of Barb-Abandoned Territory would give the opportunity for more Barbs to spawn.

I wanted to have a spawn-buster in that "hole" region, so that when the inevitable Barb rush came, new ones wouldn't be appearing in their wake, which is really what is likely to kill you off.

I suppose that leaving the capital undefended could have killed you off, too. ;)

I managed to get 2 spawn-busters out into reasonable "hole-blocking" positions, and kept 2 Warriors in the capital.

Some Barbs funnelled toward the capital, but only a few at a time, thanks to the "hole-blocking" spawn-busters. No more than 2 Barbs attacked my capital on the same turn as each other.

Also, having the Ocean to the south and a couple of Lakes to the north-west aided a lot. Otherwise, I probably would have needed a 3rd City-Defending Warrior before starting on The Great Wall.

Settled on 1 W. 2nd city - fish, sheep and whale. I immediately handed him the gold, as it slows down the growth of the capital. Hammurabi was quite close, so the 3rd city is a pig and a horse, so as not to lose this place. By the arrival of the settler, they were already connected. Only after that I found the silver and the next setler urgently ran to settle with him. The worker helped with the road, and then with the connection of silver, but Hammurabi took the 2nd silver. And only 5 city I connected the 2nd gold (corn, horse). 6 city - on marble, 7 - a cow and 2 clams. It was possible to build a couple more cities, but there were no very good places anymore and I forced myself to stop.

AI learned the alphabet very early (Pakal and Hannibal), before I learned writing. Hannibal didn't know mysticism, so I learned polytheism, 20-25% of writing and exchanged polytheism for writing. After that, I started saving money for something that could be sold to AI with benefit. The only thing AI didn't have was Metal Casting. But when I started learning Pakal immediately beat me to it. Fortunately, he was the only one. In 300 bc, I traded mathematics + monotheism and monarchy for MC. Next turn - alphabet, currency, calendar, IW and meditation. And a lot of extra money for new research. Pakal didn't have HR, but had over 600 coins. I learned the HR to sell, but in the same turn he also learned it. For the same purpose, I learned compass, with the same result :). But I was still able to exchange the construction from someone from AI.

Pakal built AP for Buddhists, so after accepting the HR and OR, I extended Buddhism to all cities and accepted it.

I don't like elepults, but it's not necessary to count on the deity that AI is lagging behind in technology, any troops
become obsolete very quickly and the sooner you start a war the better. By 1 ad, I had just finished 7 forges, 6 barracks, 3-4 stables and started to build elepults. At the beginning of the turn 65 pop, in the end 59 pop.

I have 8 wc, 3 axe, 5 archer, 3 warrior just in case

Boudica with 8 cities and Cyrus with 13 - Hinduists, Alexander with 9 - Confuist, Maya with 5 and Pascal with 6 - Buddhists. Babylon with 8 is still without religion.
Boudica and Hammurabi are lagging behind in tech, Cyrus and Alexander are at my level, but they know Feudalism, Pakal And Hannibal are far ahead.

Top Bottom