BOTM 54 First Spoiler - 1AD and All Civs Met

Suddenly, I find an irresistible urge to play the Noble level WOTM, I think it should be better suited to my current level of Civ expertise. :rolleyes: :blush: :p

This game was a level or two harder than a normal Prince game. With tons of empty land, raging barbs and weak AI (leading to empty land longer than normal), the start took some finesse. The barbs wreaked such havoc on the AIs in my game that wonders went very late, several of the AI lost cities and the tech pace was pitiful. The only AI in my game that did halfway decently was Joao and that was because he built the GW.

Had you played a test game to get a handle on the raging barb situation and all of that jungle/desert before playing the real save, I'm sure you would have had your normal 1500s space victory. ;)

EDIT: Did you break your mouse against the wall when you lost your Holkan to a warrior? I would have. :lol:

This game was a level or two harder than a normal Prince game.

Well that makes me feel a little better.

After my sunshine and happiness post at 1000 AD, it seems like things went badly quickly. not really sure if it looks winnable anymore.

- Hey, now I'm more relaxed, after reading here :whew:. This because I realized that this game is not so easy after all, despite being Prince.
- It was a horrible start. Very disappointing :cry:.
- Early on, a jungle has grown in one rice :mad:. My Warrior, in a jungle, was killed by a Panther.
- I only settled the Capitol (my big mystake).
- I had to train some Holkans to defend my city. The Barbarians came drooling :drool:. They seemed a swarm of bees: Warriors, Spearmen and Axes...
- So a little army of Chariots and 1 Horse Archer to initiate the war very late (500 BC). Just one Isabella's city. After that Spanish Spears - :faint: - no chance...
- In 10 AD: treasury 6 - -1gpt at 80% and Pop: 5... Last in Score... :(

Hi all,

Decided to play a bit of Civ just for pleasure, and check if I still remembered how to play :) So I picked Challenger to allow the AI's to build more cities for me, and to help them tech faster. Don't know if it helped much though :cry: I managed to trade for Iron Working at least, and a couple of low level techs. The investment in the Alphabet paid back but not even remotely as much as I had hoped for...
The starting site did not look attractive, so I moved south with my settler and found a nice spot close to silk, sugar, pigs, flood plains and river grassland. Built a couple of cottages to ensure good economy. It happened to be very close to Isabella and she was generous enough to provide me with massive numbers of workers (nine so far) :hatsoff:
The score list indicated that the map was pretty large with ~1200 land tiles, so I decided to focus on early cottages and focus on research and expansion. This will hopefully provide a strong base for domination victory without running out of money. Also, I hope the AI will build enough cities for me to reach the land limit. Perhaps it would be better to rely on loot money while conquering, but I am afraid of the maintenance costs. :eek: Also, I enjoy the optimization and micro managing part of the early game. :D
My first immediate idea was to take Madrid since it looked very juicy, but just as I had rushed a bunch of Holkans, the barbarians started to show up. They came from everywhere, and the slow expansion of the AIs didn't help either (I'm used to AI cities blocking the barbs). So I abandoned my militaristic plans, and instead reverted to worker stealing (she continuously sent workers to the pigs next to my borders). In hindsight, I think it was good to leave Isabella alone (apart from DoW her six times :mischief:)
I was lucky to capture a barb city and even more lucky to defend with one Holkan against a barb axe on two occasions.

History of the Maya Empire as of 10 AD
2750 BC - Bronze Working
1925 BC - 2nd city
1550 BC - 3rd city
1350 BC - Alphabet
1000 BC - 4th city
550 BC - Barb city

State of the Maya Empire as of 10 AD

14 workers
15 military units
42 pop
44 surplus food / turn
33 hammers / turn
5 ball parks
5 health resources
4 happy resources
~70 beakers / turn @ 40%
21 tech including construction and calender (3 turns from currency)

The future of the Maya Empire
There will soon be war. I've started to build catapults, and Madrid will be first. Then I will move eastward. I want to reach Drama and Music to enable cultural expansion and still run Slavery. With whipping and hammers, I hope to build at least one unit / turn.

What? No body pulled off a CS sling in this game?.....nah me neither.

Man what is up with the tech rate? What is up with all these jungles? What is up with all the mountain walls? And finally when did Monti learned to protect his workers with warriors.

I will be back with real report tomorrow. Another slow day at work.

DS, did you by design made the acces to Brown Monty's land limited? I made the mistake of going north to go around looking for workers only to walk around the Everest. By the time I got back it was like 2000 turns later :)

Wow C63, what a baaaad luck. My game was crappy, but I'm used to it.
Those barbs were raging? I didn't noticed, they are always big problem for me. I lost one city few turns before ADs chasing several Warriors by one Axe.

I've chosen strange spot north from starting position. Lot of food, but hammers were scarce.
Because of jungle I had only 6 cities before ADs. Stolen one Worker from Is. Got Alpha at the end of BCs and traded for 6 obsolete techs.
As I said - crappy game, but not a distaster like C63's. Lucky me.

What? No body pulled off a CS sling in this game?.....nah me neither.

I went better for my victory condition: feudalism. I know if I continue with "kill them all" strat. , Jovan Kukic or another dude will have great margin to beat my date.

Anyways, given the need of monarchy and Writing, feudalism is almost like CS slingshot.

I went better for my victory condition: feudalism. I know if I continue with "kill them all" strat. , Jovan Kukic or another dude will have great margin to beat my date.

Anyways, given the need of monarchy and Writing, feudalism is almost like CS slingshot.

Good call on Feud. BTW any chance you and Jovan leave the bloody conquest alone? For crying out loud. What about the little guys?

Do you think on this map Swords would have been better? Or where there enough obsticle free access to AI cities when You attacked?

@ anyone.
Is it normal for this type of map to have so much rice? Or was that map maker?

Good call on Feud. BTW any chance you and Jovan leave the bloody conquest alone? For crying out loud. What about the little guys?

Once I get conquest medal, I go after another medal while Jovan loves to forbid conquest to everyone just like Jesusin likes to do the same with culture.

Do you think on this map Swords would have been better? Or where there enough obsticle free access to AI cities when You attacked?

HA's were better mainly for speed. Even with jungles, roading network permits newly trained HA to join the herd.

@ anyone.
Is it normal for this type of map to have so much rice? Or was that map maker?

Rice, pigs and banana are common resources on rainforest. Corn is a rare resource and wheat is normally inexistant.

Comments in lazy mode.

I am not serious about the conquest comment, as a matter of fact, I would rather play against the best for that VC. As a matter of fact, I am heading to culture in this game but via Medicin.

Great! See you in the last spoiler.

Great! See you in the last spoiler.

Damn, I talk too much.

BTW, this map is atrocious for a standard domination style Medicine based culture game. At the same time with kajillion rice tiles I must find out. Why map make, why toroidal(?) type map? Sloooooow turns on top of that.

The standard culture game should florish with the numerous food sites and the protective map features.

Top Bottom