BOTM98 - Justinian - Final Spoiler (game over)

1020 AD Domination, 112K

I usually try to play GotM's with flavor by trying to use the traits, UU, and or UB, but I stopped researching at HBR. Horse Archers were enough. At least I used the IMP trait.

I went for quick Domination, no focus on score except for building the HG on the final turn.

Cultural Victory in 1520AD

Two turns shy of my goal. The AD years were fairly uneventful, mostly spreading religion, farming out Great Artists and trying to keep culture at 100%. I founded all the religion except Hinduism and Taoism. I was waiting for a GS to bulb Philosophy and missed it by 1 turn, which hurt me bit as I never got Taoism to spread to my lands. It was frustrating to watch a half dozen hindu missionaries march through my lands to other civs, and ultimately I only got it by capturing a city.

My one war, around 1AD, was to capture Stone from Charlemagne. After getting the Stone city, I pushed on for the Corn and Wheat (I think this was the only Wheat on the map) but stalled out against a hilltop city and decided the extra health was not worth the cost of the war anymore.

I ran two Golden Ages plus the one from Taj, and used a 50% GS near the end of the game for Printing Press. In hindsight it would have been one turn faster to have rushed that GS to get Printing Press earlier instead of trying to push the odds for a final GA. Events being on encouraged me to save some gold for those events that allow you to pay for a better outcome. The only events I got were 2 turns of Slave Revolt, a captured Spy (got some ESP I ever used) and road washing out very late in the game.

Apparently there was no Coper at all on the map, which slowed some of the Cathedral builds. One of my biggest hopes was to gain copper through a random pop into a mined hill, but no luck. Never played Rainforest before so I wasn't sure if the mapmaker removed Copper manually or it is not available on this map type. [EDIT: wrote this before reading the other spoilers, I see Copper was removed by the mapmaker - which I guess means a mine pop was possible]

1020 AD Domination, 112K

I usually try to play GotM's with flavor by trying to use the traits, UU, and or UB, but I stopped researching at HBR. Horse Archers were enough. At least I used the IMP trait.

I went for quick Domination, no focus on score except for building the HG on the final turn.

Funny, you beat me by 1 turn - but I was going for the UU exclusively.
Unfortunately my timing was really bad. I tried to get to Guilds in a GA, but I started it too early thus missed it by quite a bit. Then I ended the GA overexpanded and almost broke having to crawl my way to Guilds. I also started farming my new settlements to early as opposed to cottages - seems I underestimated the expansion cost even at the low difficulty. I didn't wan to start whipping HAs even though that could have gotten me some decent pillage money.

Overall a quick & fun game.

Edit: I thought that was quite funny :rolleyes:

well.jpg

Fun Cataphract Conquest.

I started off with Chariots, but wasn't having much luck against Protective Archers. Then, I skipped Horseback Riding until I'd learned Guilds, getting Horseback Riding within the span of 1 more turn.

I upgraded a few Chariots but mostly whipped out Cataphracts as my army.

I did manage to keep the AIs backward enough that I was the only player to reach Feudalism, making Cataphracts as easy to use as taking a walk in a park.

Mao took forever to expand--after capturing his capital, I saw that the City had -6 Health from Flood Plains!?!

The pre-cleared Jungle squares in our starting area was a really nice touch. I considered playing a massive REXing game but then I started to encounter heavy swaths of Jungle and decided that I didn't feel like clearing it all, so Conquest it was!

Thanks for a fun map!

I played a pretty lazy 1902 Culture win. Built the Great Wall and the Pyramids before deciding to go for Culture so I had problems with GP pollution all game, GEs are OK but Spys at Noble are a bit of a waste. Got into one war with Saladin but he gave up when I took Mecca which gave me another religion. Don't really like quick but this one was OK.

I had planned to complete this game this weekend, but some unfortunate family matters came inbetween. Therefore I submitted a retired game.

Funny, you beat me by 1 turn - but I was going for the UU exclusively.

Ah, I see from the results thread, that you got conquest 1 turn after I got Domination. I thought you were saying you had Domination too. I went all out for speed-domination. You know, when you settle ~20 cities on the final turn and expand borders in between turns. (Thx Stonehenge + artist + quick speed).

Congrats on the fast conquest.

Top Bottom