Boudicca's Rebellion - Creation Thread

JPetroski

Deity
SLeague Staff
Hi all,

With finishing touches on OTR and Midway happening, I've been investing more and more time into a scenario I've wanted to create for a while: Boudicca. This will detail the events of 60-61 AD where the Iceni Queen went on a rampage across southeastern Britannia, outraged at the incredible injustices of Rome.

You will take the role of Gaius Suetonius Palinus, the Roman general responsible for quelling the rebellion after the complete destruction of Camulodunum (Colchester), Londinium (London), and Verulamium (St. Albans).

You will start the scenario far to the west, attempting to stamp out a major druid center on Mona Insula (Anglesey) when you will hear of a massive rebellion forming to the east.

You will have very limited units at your command. Much like in Germanicus on the Rhine and Caesar's Gallic Wars, your legions will be special units that can't be rebuilt. Unlike both of those titles, the units will represent cohorts. There will be limited resources to call on, and bringing them all to bear against Boudicca may tempt other tribes (such as the Silurians in Wales or the Picts far to the north) to join the rebellion.

At your heart of your forces, you will have the same 14th Legion you used in Caesar and Germanicus. Indeed, this is the story of how they received their honorific title, Geminia Martia Victrix.

You will also have the 2nd Augusta. 4 cohorts start with you for the assault on Mona, while the remaining 6 are at Exeter with their camp commandant, Poenius Postumus. In history, he ignored the call to arms. What will happen in your campaign? And what of the 4 cohorts under your command? Should you bring them with you to confront the Iceni, or leave them behind to guard against a druidic resurgence?

To the east, Quintus Petillius Cerialis commands the 9th Hispana, but only 4 freshly-recruited cohorts are available to him immediately, as the rest are guarding against the Picts to the north. Should you rush him to fight off Boudicca, or wait for reinforcements?

In addition to these forces, you'll have 3 cohorts of the 20th Valeria Victrix legion, but they are busy guarding your western flank against the Silures of Southern Wales. Abandoning this post might complicate matters.

Finally, there are 2,000 men formerly of the 20th, and now part of their Evocati near Gloucester. These proud veterans can be trusted to answer the call.

With these small forces and a handful of auxillia, you'll attempt to stamp out a rebellion that grows stronger and stronger every day that Boudicca lives.

Sound fun?

Here is the unit list and the art I have for now. Ignore the Mustang, it is for unveiling the map :) Any help wiht any units that don't suit your fancy would be appreciated, as would be suggestions for additions:

upload_2020-1-25_5-42-18.png

Settlers (will be removed)
Citizens
Citizens
SAVE
Auxilia
Batavian Horse
Thracian Horse
Archers
Scorpio
Siege Tower
1st Cohort II 'Augusta'
1st Cohort IX 'Hispana'
1st Cohort XIV 'G.M.V.'
1st Cohort XX 'V.V.'
II 'Augusta'
IX 'Hispana'
XIV 'G.M.V.'
XX 'V.V.'
Evocati
Paulinus
Cerialis
Postumus
Decianus Catus
Arrows
Pilum
Bolt
Transport
Iceni Skirmisher
Iceni Archers
Iceni Spearmen
Iceni Swordsmen
Iceni Nobles
Chariott
Iceni Townfolk
Celtic Townfolk
Silures Skirmishers
Silures Slingers
Silures Spearmen
Silures Swordsmen
Silures Nobles
Trinovantes Spearmen
Trinovantes Swordsmen
Trinovantes Nobles
Trinovantes Cavalry
Druids
Stone Circles
Holy Grove
SAVE
Dispatch Rider (will be sent off to call other groups to arms)
Druid Guards
Bezerkers
Pict Skirmishers
Pict Swordsmen
Pict Nobles
P-51 Mustang, Cadillac of the Skies, but not as cool as the Whistling Death

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to this. If it's anywhere as a good as Caesar's Gallic Wars it's going to be another fantastic addition to your growing collection of scenarios.

This sounds very interesting and I hope it´s not multiplayer. JPetroski, good luck with that scenario! :)

boudicca units.png

Here's my take on the units. I've made the auxilia and Roman archer a little more 1st Century, added some variety to the Briton's shield designs while retaining the tribal colours you chose and replaced the celt-iberian you used for the Pictish noble. BTW, shouldn't Picts be called Caledonii at this time (particularly by the Romans)? I've assumed the guy before the Pict skirmisher is a Pict spearman, right?

Also added a Boudicca unit with the Iceni horse symbol found on their coins. I've given the Iceni noble the horned helmet found at London, in place of the earlier La Tene helmet he had before.

I think Gaius Suetonius Paulinus is referred to as 'Suetonius' rather than Paulinus btw.

Is the stone circle generic or specifically used for Stonehenge? I'll have a pop at drawing this if its the latter.

EDIT: Henge and militia added

Last edited:
Many thanks for the help, Fairline, they look great!

Is the stone circle generic or specifically used for Stonehenge? I'll have a pop at drawing this if its the latter.

-It's just a random stone circle. Stonehenge is in the scenario though if you want to draw it.

I think Gaius Suetonius Paulinus is referred to as 'Suetonius' rather than Paulinus btw.

-I think it depends on which source you look at, but I also think you're right that it probably should be Suetonius so I cahnged it.

I've assumed the guy before the Pict skirmisher is a Pict spearman, right?

-I goofed and didn't type what unit that is supposed to be. That is supposed to be the Colchester garrison. Just random former legionaries and townsfolk who band together to defend the temple for a short while. Sorry! Anyway, I can still use the spearman you drew.

BTW, shouldn't Picts be called Caledonii at this time (particularly by the Romans)?

-I'll change this too. Thanks!

Also, any chance of a "wailing women" and "Iceni baggage train" unit?

The first should probably have a black robe and holding a torch:

On the beach stood the adverse array, a serried mass of arms and men, with women flitting between the ranks. In the style of Furies, in robes of deathly black and with dishevelled hair, they brandished their torches; while a circle of Druids, lifting their hands to heaven and showering imprecations, struck the troops with such an awe at the extraordinary spectacle that, as though their limbs were paralysed, they exposed their bodies to wounds without an attempt at movement. Then, reassured by their general, and inciting each other never to flinch before a band of females and fanatics, they charged behind the standards, cut down all who met them, and enveloped the enemy in his own flames.
-Tacitus

The second unit is a "will probably be in the scenario, but only if I can get it to work" type unit. For replayability, I can't very well pick a spot for the Battle of Watling St. (which is fine, considering no one is sure where it was, anyway), but what I was thinking was "casting a net." When Boudicca is finally destroyed, these baggage train units (owned by a spare civ that the Iceni are "at peace" with and the Romans are "at war") would basically pop up in a wide box around her demise (call it 7 or so tiles away), trapping the Iceni units. At the same time, I think I can use lua to "remember" the coordinates of this box, and all Iceni units in that box will either have their movespent expended immediately, perhaps have their defenses ruined, or both. This will exist for a few turns or so, during which the Romans should do everything they can to slaughter them and get "freebies."

It's a complicated event (for me) but as far as I know, completely possible and the best way I can think of to model the battle.

I've updated the units above with sorta-Stonehenge and city militia. I'll make up the druidic Fury next. As for the 'casting a net' unit - this should simply be a trade cart?

Yeah, basically the caravan that trapped.the Iceni army. Maybe a trade cart with some kids and women cheering?

@JPetroski When I saw the title, I was hoping it would be set up to play AS Boudicca. No such luck I guess. Looking forward to it, though.

Who needs Furies when you have a Mustang? :p

That Mustang was on the original Roman Britain scenario's units file, too. It's quite conspicuous as the only completely out-of-place unit on both. It makes one wonder... :confused:

You sure you arent confusing it with Caesar? I used it to reveal the map on that one too.

You sure you arent confusing it with Caesar? I used it to reveal the map on that one too.

Might have been, now that I think about it.

OK, now I need to know Patine. What did it make you wonder? What did you think it was for?

OK, now I need to know Patine. What did it make you wonder? What did you think it was for?

I was actually clueless and mystified. It's a scenario mechanism I've never used after the final saving of the .scn file.

Bombing Stonehenge? Or strafing Druids?

A version of Mark Twain's, "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court," but with a WW2 ace, and Britain about 500 years earlier?

If it was a Connecticut Yankee, it'd be a Corsair, as they were built here and are our state warbird. After Boudicca, I need to build a scenario that let's me play with them!

Top Bottom