Brave new World's New Civilizations - REVISED AGAIN!

Whta civs would you most like to see in BNW?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm surprised to see Israel still has such a large following even with the confirmed inclusion of Jerusalem as a CS. But I guess this is a poll of what people want, rather than what they expect.

Berbers replace Kongo for my African pick, and I'm not happy about it.

Indonesia, Vietnam, and N. American (Cherokee) constitute my other three picks. Here's hoping that we definitely do not get Hungary (sorry, but they add nothing in relation to the expansion or game overall, taking a spot from one of the above.)

I'm not happy about Kongo either, but I disagree with you about Hungary. They fit the ideology theme, they fit the culture and tourism theme, and despite being in Europe they are a non-Indo-European civ. Plus we already have a clue that they might be in; there's a parallel with Austria/Hungary and Denmark/Sweden. Civilizations in well known unions have usually included the other civ with them, Denmark-Norway, Sweden-Finland, Poland-Lithuania but did not happen with Austria-Hungary. The reduction of the Kalmaresque Viking civ we traditionally got to Denmark was the first hint that Sweden was coming, the second was the exclusion of its cities only highlighted that possibility. If Hungary isn't in BNW, I think they were at least moving in that direction when they released GnK.

I'm still going with

Moors/Berber
Indonesia/Majapahit
Native Nth American
Australia

but someone said they saw Marrakesh was still in the CS list (I haven't seen it) if thats the case then perhaps Timurid instead of the Moors/Berbers.

Isreal & Vietnam appear to be out as Jerusalem & Hanoi appear to still be on the CS list

I would just like to say that I know that the scramble for Africa plays a part in civ choosing, but we now have enpugh African civs to make the scenario work. So, the chances of another South American civ should technically be about the same as another African civ. Argentina for the dark horse!

Voted for Isreal as a Civ I'd like to see thats all that was for me.

Voted for a Native American Civ. Kinda wonder if for a Native American Civ they do another one of those conglomerations. I dont mean quite like Civ 4. I guess what Im getting at is this. I voted I wanted to see another Native American Civ. Sitting here trying to decide exactly who, thinking boy, you know, a Plains Civ would be different that the Iroquois... but... not all that much different than all the other horse archer civs (in terms of gameplay in no way am I relating, for example, the Souix to say Mongolia in historical terms).

Then theres that Tomahawk unit... alot of ALGONQUIAN tribes use something like that. Rivals of the Iroquois... which grew when Europeans came and the Iroquois looked to monopolize the fur trade... the Beaver Wars come to mind...

Depending how "loose" you want to expand your definition of "civ" ... absolutely huge. One of the largest groups of Native North American peoples. Some variant of the Algonquian tongue was spoken by tribes as far south as Virginia, north as the Hudson Bay, and as far west as Colorado.

Sample of tribes that are "Algonquian" or descend from Algonquian "Peoples": The Powhatan of modern Virginia ("Virginia Algonquians"), the Mohicans from the Hudson Valley, the Maliseet from the Saint John River Valley (New Brunswick and into Maine), several New England tribes (Massachusett, Wampanoag, Pequot etc etc) many more, but some of the bigger, and perhaps surprising, names of tribes/groups that pop out: the Blackfoot, Cheyenne, Mikmaq, Chippewa, Cree and for those of you that like Tecumseh as a leader, the Shawnee.

Alot to work with as amongst the group. there are those that practiced crop rotation, skilled fishermen (even some whalers in the group, and seal hunters too) and hunters... maybe that resource is Beavers... though that really isnt all that different than furs... i mean they ate them, but thats not what the war was over...

sorry for rambling. thinking out loud and talking myself into wanting an Algonquian civ.

I went with a Native American civ, The Hittites and Indonesia. Israel would've been my last choice, but that doesn't seem very likely, especially with Jerusalem still as a city-state.
I have no more wishes really so, let it be a dark horse. Perhaps Gran Colombia, Morroco, Kievan Rus... Who knows :)

Gran Colombia, Italy, Khmer, Indonesia.

Gran Colombia may have lasted a short time, but had great influence over its region in South America. Also, South America tends to have a low number of civs, so it'll help make world map games more interesting.

Italy feels long overdue to me. You could have Rome and Italy co-exist like the Celts and England, or the Ottomans and Byzantium (who share the same capital, just under different names.) After all, as a unified nation, it's about as old as Germany (which always gets in Vanilla Civ 5.) The influence of the Italian states on the world in the past doesn't really get reflected with City-States.

Sure, many are tired of having lots of European civs, but Europe has been the world's most powerful continent for over half a millenium. A high population density results in a broad range of cultures despite its size.

Khmer would be nice to see back, simply to see Civ 5's take on the Baray. Hopefully it'll be somewhat more powerful in Civ 5 than it was in Civ 4 (Remember the Ballista elephant, with the "target mounted units in stacks outside cities" bonus? Ever actually used it?)

Indonesia is probably the most important on this list (though Italy comes close.) With Brave New World's focus on the latter part of the game, Indonesia's growing power of late becomes particularly relevant (and they have a long and complicated history to draw on as well.)

As a dark horse civ, I'd probably go for the Inuits. Maybe they get additional :c5food: from tundra and snow, meaning they can settle places others would struggle, and can send sea units under ice like Carthage can send units over mountains?

I'm pretty sure Panama City as a CS means we won't be getting Gran Colombia. Wasn't Panama City one of their most important ones?

I voted for;

a Native american civ, obviously/ might be a legendary woman leader
Hungary, the best way to add another militaristic and defensive european civ/ man/woman leader
Morroco, would be a great dark horse. man leader
Indonesia, that would balance the geografic distribution and add a great culture in this pantheon/ woman leader, maybe!

in my opinion, Morroco and indonesia can't miss BNW expansion. I hope for hungary.

I'm pretty sure Panama City as a CS means we won't be getting Gran Colombia. Wasn't Panama City one of their most important ones?

Not really. Bogotá was the capital.. after that, you still have Quito, Caracas, Cartagena, Maracaibo, among others. Panama joined Gran Colombia after they gained independence from Spain and still had relatively little importance aside from population until the canal (of which the US owned until 1999). It would make sense that they're a city-state because they elected to join, and later left Colombia.

I bet that native american leader will be a woman. and it could be a legendary one, as bouddica is, i mean with a lot story and legend and a lake of historic proof.

so pocahontas is the only way?! ;)

Now this is getting more difficult and exciting. I'm so sure they should have Sioux and Indonesia but I really have no idea what would the last two be. I guess possibly the Hittites and Belgium.

Last expansion, a ton of the new civs (I think 5, 6 counting Spain?) were part of the central scenario. So far only 2 of the new ones will be. I gotta think one or two of the yet-to-be-revealed civilizations will be part of the scramble scenario. I don't think Pocahontas will get in; does anyone really expect the Powhatan?

Top Bottom