• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Bring back terrain improvement!

Regarding the planting of trees...

I would make the hammer bonus from chopping a tree obsolete with the technology that allows the planting of trees. If the planting of trees is a "late" game feature, the bonus from trees doesn't mean that much. I would tie it to Ecology.

Regarding terraforming...

While I used terraforming to my advantage and loved it, I think it was a little over powered. As someone else suggested, allowing for the irrigation of desert tiles and tundra tiles (not already adjacent to a river) would be a nice feature.

Well, and what about tunnels? San Bernardino, Monte Bianco, Frejus...I could go on for quite a bit, and that's only for Alps. Maybe with Industrialism, 15 turn for build it. Then units could move at half their speed beyond the mountain.

I've always thought 1 tile bridges would be nice. I hate having to leave a galley at these spots for a make shift bridge (i guess more like a ferry). Something like the golden gate bridge. As humans we definately bridge a lot more than just small rivers.

I feel such an urge to start my rant about rivers running between tiles instead of on them now. Why couldn't they do rivers like in Civ2...

Also, workers might be able to "divert" rivers. Not sure if that would be the same as just irrigating, though.

I prefer the rivers built on the sides of tiles. Makes the tiles much easier to see and provides a better bonus and is more realistic. Also, you can create a snaking river without the tiles crossing over, ruining the effect

I feel such an urge to start my rant about rivers running between tiles instead of on them now. Why couldn't they do rivers like in Civ2...

Also, workers might be able to "divert" rivers. Not sure if that would be the same as just irrigating, though.

Why? In terms of determining combat position and whether or not you receive the river defense bonus, irrigations, and not to mention watermills, I greatly prefer the current Civ4-style system.

I loved (still do actually) SMAC in this regard, the amount of options in that game for units to do was amazing, yet they were features that although if used were beneficial, but if not, didn't prevent one from doing well in the game.

I wonder if new forests could be set up so that chopping produces only a miniscule number of hammers. As time progressed and the trees matured, the number of hammers from chopping could increase up to the maximum (which would be the current rate for pre-established forests).

There was a MOD for this, GREEN MOD, IIRC, available for vanilla CIV.

After planting the trees you had to work the tile, nurturing the forest growht, and it went through several fases until it became a mature forest. Then you could chop it for the maximum number of hammers.

While growing, working the tile would give you, I think, no hammers, so it was an investment on your part.

I wonder if the MOD has been updated for BtS!!

I would say allow trees to be replanted later in the tech tree. Allow, them to be chopped to gain the full hammer benefits only after a certain number of years have passed. No partial benefit to chopping them early.

The trees in my back yard are over 100 years old, so I would say a minimum number of years should be 100. This would greatly limit the benefit of doing this.

Not exactly. Some timbers take 30 years to grow and mature. We use them for our lumber supply. Make it like cottages, they grow as time goes by (double with Preserve)

Well, and what about tunnels? San Bernardino, Monte Bianco, Frejus...I could go on for quite a bit, and that's only for Alps. Maybe with Industrialism, 15 turn for build it. Then units could move at half their speed beyond the mountain.

Great idea!!! Perhaps available with industrial era and for Mountains only (which are currently useless). And give a hammer and commerce bonus.

I miss terraforming too!

To cut down on being a Human exploit, I think the

"Great Engineer alone can terraform"

is a good idea - you'd pick up 3 or 4, maybe more during a game, and once clicked as a "Terraformer" they couldn't be used for anything else?

Terraforming could combat global warming....bomb away people bomb away :) Also Tundra/Ice Cities are realistique for slower growth. Yellowknife and Whitehorse are'nt booming metropolis.

But it would be nice to defrost ice and tundra tiles, the effects of global warming should do this any way....That grassland tile lost in your 20+ metropolis after to many nukes, would be nice to be able to irrigate the desert tile back to its former glory

Or it's be nice to irrigate your desert tile into plains and then into a desert, but it'll be a flood plain because of the nearby river.
I hate it how a flood plain turns into a desert by a river. I know in a mod the desert could turn into plains and then back into desert, but it'd be flood plains again. Flood plains until the next GW, which is 5 turns later, after spending 16 turns fixing the damned tile :lol:

Top Bottom