Bring back the GLANCE tab to the foreign advisor!

Would you like to have the GLANCE tab back?

• Yes

Votes: 311 85.9%
  • No

Votes: 26 7.2%
  • Somebody will do a mod for this very soon anyhow... and I don't care about multiplayer.

Votes: 25 6.9%

• Total voters
My 3 cents (playing Financial :D )

Hey, you stole my line :lol: (see my sig).

You're right, it seems like Firaxis has abandoned regression testing. They only seem to be piecemeal testing new stuff, ignoring the potential ripple effects of the changes. I think the silver lining here, though, is that most of the regressions have already been fixed in Bhruic's unofficial patch. If they botched a new feature---for example, Blitz for ships---then it would be a more complicated decision whether or not to address it in an unofficial patch. Would the fix preserve unaltered gameplay? What was the developer's intention---did they botch the code or did they change their minds and forget to update the changelist? With that kind of communication from Firaxis being unfortunately rare (with much-appreciated exceptions, such as when Alexman confirmed that barb spearmen and galleys were unintentionally left out of Warlords 2.08), we'd probably never know.

We've added the GLANCE page back with our BUG mod and tried to improve its appearance based on some comments here and general artistic talent (ie minimal). I would value your comments ...

I did another artistically minimal GLANCE screen. This involves exposing the function AI_getAttitudeVal to Python:

Attachments

• for_ad_attval0000.JPG
    for_ad_attval0000.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 229
That looks good. Just one little thing, the text looks to close to the icons on the left side, maybe space the column over just a little bit, if that's possible. Other than that though I'd say it's perfect.

I'd put the number in parenthesis below the text description. The portraits are more than two lines anyways. Looks good.

The major problem with that is if you play with a larger number of AIs, you'll either get text overlap, or it'll be too small to read.

Bh

I can say that I'd like to have it back. I didn't think i used it that much at first, but during my first major game without it, I miss it sorely. Yes. Bring back the glance tab, Firaxis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd put the number in parenthesis below the text description. The portraits are more than two lines anyways. Looks good.

That's a good idea.

Scrollbars?

I didn't realize that you could get both vertical and horizontal scrolling on the same panel (which is what is needed). Turns out you can.

Attachments

• for_ad_scrolled0000.JPG
    for_ad_scrolled0000.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 278
That's a good idea.

I didn't realize that you could get both vertical and horizontal scrolling on the same panel (which is what is needed). Turns out you can.

Now that is too much of a mess. I think you should have lines separating everything. Very subtle lines, but lines nonetheless.

For the sake of comparison, here's what the old Glance screen looks like with that number of players:

Attachments

• old for ad0000.JPG
    old for ad0000.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 215
I did another artistically minimal GLANCE screen. This involves exposing the function AI_getAttitudeVal to Python:
PeteT - do you have the code for your various glance screens. I like the solid blue one, not sold on the other.

Oddly enough, and this is not to knock any of the work that has been done, I still find the old glance screen easier on the eye. It's the long horizontal bars that make it easier to grasp the information. I'm not contrary to having displayed the words describing the attitudes of the various players, but it is the numbers, showing the degrees of feeling, that are, to my mind at least, the most useful...

Oddly enough, and this is not to knock any of the work that has been done, I still find the old glance screen easier on the eye. It's the long horizontal bars that make it easier to grasp the information. I'm not contrary to having displayed the words describing the attitudes of the various players, but it is the numbers, showing the degrees of feeling, that are, to my mind at least, the most useful...

Hehe, I'm the opposite :lol: I like the lines being removed and the color coded values. But like ruff_hi I'd like it on Blue instead of the tan.

Having horizontal lines helps guide the eye and gives some order to the screen. The key is to add enough info but keep things from getting too cluttered when the number of civs go up.

Also after seeing them, I think having the numbers in parenthesis doesn't help any and makes the screen look busier. And would it be possible to center the text within the column instead of left aligning it?

Top Bottom