[BTS] Fictionalization IV

You know, I actually considered using Ryan in my early drafts of the mod, but I discarded it because I was really unfamiliar with the Clancyverse. I'm sure there's a lot of stuff in the Jack Ryan novels that would fit well with this mod, but I would need a crash course in it first: what world leaders feature prominently, who might be good candidates for Great People, that sort of thing.

This sounds cool, going to try it out tonite and see how it plays. Nice idea.

You know, I actually considered using Ryan in my early drafts of the mod, but I discarded it because I was really unfamiliar with the Clancyverse. I'm sure there's a lot of stuff in the Jack Ryan novels that would fit well with this mod, but I would need a crash course in it first: what world leaders feature prominently, who might be good candidates for Great People, that sort of thing.

I can answer most questions about Jack Ryan, having read all the books myself.

You earlier asked about Acatore, well Acatore is like El Dorado, but was rumored to have highly sophisticated technology that would be found more often in 2000 A.D. rather than 5000A.D. Like El Dorado, it was immensly rich and was located in the South American jungles.

My first game was fairly brief, large map on monarch diff as english. Did advanced start w/ 5 cities and was 2nd in score until gilgamesh attacked with achilles and quite a few other troops (agg. ai). Had built the oracle and great wall but not enough defenders, Achilles doing collateral damage :cry: Like the hero units alot but if you dont grab one then you are in for a battle. It was a shame because I had some nice resources, on to the next.

Some of the hero-types upgrade, some dont, is that intended? Also I got Roland and stuck a GG with him and he became Godly for a while, I ended up with 25 upgrades on him, ,lol, and at one point he held off an attack of over 20 units on a city, it was fun but I was thinking he is overpowered.

Some of the hero-types upgrade, some dont, is that intended? Also I got Roland and stuck a GG with him and he became Godly for a while, I ended up with 25 upgrades on him, ,lol, and at one point he held off an attack of over 20 units on a city, it was fun but I was thinking he is overpowered.

Hm, I should fix that. I'll probably make it so GGs can't be attached to heroes. And I know about the upgrading problem; Miles Gloriosus and Horatio Hornblower don't upgrade at the moment (they currently have Leader Experience points but no Leader Promotion). I'll fix that in the next update. For Gloriosus it might fit with the character - he's more bark than bite in his original incarnation - but for Hornblower it doesn't fit the character at all.

Im in the middle of a game now but look forward to trying the update, alot of changes?

Added a few leaders, and replaced one, I think I threw in a rough draft of a new hero unit, but my main goal was to fix the hero experience issue. I've created new UnitCombat classes for the heroes (hero archer, hero melee, etc.) which are essentially the same as the non-hero combat types, only they can't receive leadership promotions.

I was reallly missing a mod like this, i loved the verne themed ones back in civ2. btw, verne is a really good inspiration for fantastic themed mods like this one. (nautilus, captain nemo, journey to the center of the earth, journey to the moon, and so on).

i also think that some mythic barb creatures would be a great addition to your mod. some of them could act as wandering barbarians, such as the giant squid, moby dick, the krakken, dragons, bigfoot, godzilla, king kong and others, giving small bonuses to the player who defeats them, while some of them could act as stationary (and more powerful) barb units guarding bigger bonuses.

Way ahead of you on that one. The Nautilus is one of the hero units, and I've already worked in a couple references to Journey to the Center of the Earth. I'm also debating whether or not I should rename The Apollo Program to The Baltimore Gun Club.

Barbarian Hero units are also going to play a part; I've been planning them from the start. I've been thinking a lot lately about which to include and what bonuses they would give. King Kong was in since the very early drafts; once he's killed, the victor civilization will receive a Great Artist (assuming that Carl Denham was able to sell his story of the Skull Island expedition after the end of the movie). I haven't programmed it yet, but Medusa will also be in the mod. When she's killed the player receives the Pegasus. Other ones I've been thinking about include Wellesian Tripods, flying saucers, zombies, European style dragons, (Chinese ones will be a special unit for the Chinese), Daleks, rocs, the Nemean Lion, Triffids, Godzilla, those giant ants from 1950's B-movies, and the Big Bad Wolf. I hadn't thought of using Moby Dick, though. ;)

But right now I'm getting back in the swing of a new school year, so any new updates might be slow coming.

For Spain you could make El Cid as a hero, use Spanish Dragons, and some other things.

For Persia, are you familier with the Prince of Persia video games? Use that. Also incorepate Flying Carpets, or some other things. Sorry, can't think clearly.

Hey how about including some characters and units from the Metal Gear universe?

Say, is there anyone on the boards that knows anything about either Spanish or Iranian/Persian mythology and folklore? I'm a bit stuck on some ways to flesh these two civs out.

@Persian

Rostam, who is probably the most popular mythical hero of the Shahnameh (the most important text on Persian mythology, written 1.000 A.D. circa by Ferdowsi), also referred to as "the champion of champions" in the same book. There's some stuff about him over wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rostam you can also check some others characters I'm not aware about in the "Good and Evil" section at this page, also Wiki's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_mythology

Top Bottom