[BTS] very bad game lag after loading save

Zortrium

Chieftain
I've started encountering an issue where after loading a saved game, the game lags horribly (takes a second or two to register mouse clicks and everything moves at 3-4 FPS). The lag occasionally disappears while I'm doing things (haven't noticed a pattern of what causes it to go away), and almost always goes away after I end my turn. However, the lag appears for that single turn every time I load my current game. I hadn't noticed it before, so maybe it's related to the game being far along? My computer shouldn't be the issue, since as soon as I end my turn the game goes back to smooth sailing.

I just got my copy. First thing I tried was the WW2 scenario, it looked really cool. Took a couple minutes to load then was *extremely* slow. Basically unplayable. [DELETED] Sorry, but this is ridiculous. I have a Macbook Pro 2.5 with 3 gigs RAM and a video card with 512 megs VRAM. Yet running this game causes all my fans to go full blast, all the ram to fill up, and performance is even *worse* than warlords.

I'm actually considering playing in bootcamp now after this. [DELETED]

Moderator Action: Warning. Please do not swear on these boards. Bypassing the auto-censor is not permissible, either
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I've started encountering an issue where after loading a saved game, the game lags horribly (takes a second or two to register mouse clicks and everything moves at 3-4 FPS). The lag occasionally disappears while I'm doing things (haven't noticed a pattern of what causes it to go away), and almost always goes away after I end my turn. However, the lag appears for that single turn every time I load my current game. I hadn't noticed it before, so maybe it's related to the game being far along? My computer shouldn't be the issue, since as soon as I end my turn the game goes back to smooth sailing.

I have noticed slow, jerky play after loading a save while still within a game. Quitting the game entirely and reloading always fixes it. As I recall, going to the main menu and reloading the save from there is quicker than reloading from within the game, but I got the slow, jerky play once when I did that. The rest of the time it worked fine.

First thing I tried was the WW2 scenario, it looked really cool. Took a couple minutes to load then was *extremely* slow. Basically unplayable.

I loaded up the 1939 Road to War scenario, which is a huge map with 20 civs on it that have boatloads of units. The wait between turns was fairly long, but otherwise the game was definitely playable very well.

I'm on a Late 2008 Macbook (no pro), 4 GB RAM, nVidia 9400M. Of course I'm not running at the highest graphics settings with that kind of hardware. I usually play standard-sized maps and performance appears to be fine throughout the game, even those that go on until the modern/future era. Definitely the wait between turns is not worse than the Windows version with CrossOver (graphics can't be compared between those due to emulating D3D with OpenGL under wine...).

Maybe you should turn down your graphics settings a little or just not play huge maps on which turns even take a long time on my quad-core Windows gaming PC.

I have noticed slow, jerky play after loading a save while still within a game. Quitting the game entirely and reloading always fixes it. As I recall, going to the main menu and reloading the save from there is quicker than reloading from within the game, but I got the slow, jerky play once when I did that. The rest of the time it worked fine.

I've found that the one-turn jerkiness after loading is solved simply by going into any city screen. So, while it's slightly annoying, it only takes a couple seconds to fix.

You can also go to the next turn

Yes, this is fine early in the game, but when I'm in the middle of moving 30 units later in the game, waiting though multiple seconds of lag for each one isn't very appealing. :)

I've found that the one-turn jerkiness after loading is solved simply by going into any city screen. So, while it's slightly annoying, it only takes a couple seconds to fix.

Thanks for the tip!

I've started encountering an issue where after loading a saved game, the game lags horribly (takes a second or two to register mouse clicks and everything moves at 3-4 FPS).

If you have a saved game that reproduced this consistently, e-mail it to me: brad AT aspyr DOT com and we can take a look. I'd like to get a fix into the 3.19 patch, so if you could get that to me in the next day or so, that'd be awesome.

I was playing a hot-seat game with my friend last night. I was the primary player, and he was player 2. Everytime my friends turn would start there would be about 10 seconds of horrible jerkiness. It had nothing to do with saving or loading a game. Just the beginning of his turn was horrible laggy. But then it would go away and be totally fine.

Also the game crashed 6 times in a 3 hour period.

Top Bottom