BUG and HOF mod interface conflict?

Trynthlas

King
So, my HOF mod was all happy and working fine - I installed BUG and it too is also happy and working fine separate from the HOF mod. However, when I load or start a new game with the HOF mod loaded, there is no interface in game. Alt-I doesn't activate it either, and pressing alt-ctrl-O doesn't bring anything up, however I can hit Esc and get out of the game or bring up the other dialogs available from that main menu.

Any clue what's going on there that I have no in-game interface parts, and how to fix it? I've tried un/re-installing BUG once already.

How did you install BUG? EXE or ZIP? Standard (CustomAssets) install or as a mod?

What type of game are you loading? A game started using HoF mod?

exe, standard install (customassets), and yeah, the game was started using the HOF mod - but I also can't start a new game with the HOF mod loaded (it has the same result)

Therein lies the problem. As it's installed in CustomAssets, it'll affect all other mods you have installed, some of which will be fine, but others will choke (as we see here). You'll be best off un-installing and re-installing BUG as a mod, as otherwise HOF will continue not to work properly.
However, if you wish to use BUG with other mods, try using ruff's CustomAssets switcher. Just switch out BUG for an empty folder when you want to play HOF or another conflicting mod.

The other option is to change HoF's INI file (the one in the HoF mod folder, next to the Assets folder) so that NoCustomAssets is 1. This will tell Civ to ignore the CustomAssets folder when loading HoF.

The other option is to change HoF's INI file (the one in the HoF mod folder, next to the Assets folder) so that NoCustomAssets is 1. This will tell Civ to ignore the CustomAssets folder when loading HoF.

That sounds like what I'd want. Thanks guys!

Yes, but it's suboptimal if you want BlueMarble installed as well. You can tell Civ to ignore the entire CustomAssets folder or just the Art subfolder. What I want is to ignore all except the art folder.

So you can't use BM with HoF in this case since copying the Art folder into HoF's Assets folder will invalidate your HoF saves for submission I believe.

Worked like a charm, EF - thanks! :)

Now another question, I'm pretty sure I've seen some people post screenshots in the GOTM forum that are using BUG, and obviously it would also be in concert with the HOF mod. Is there a way to get them to 'play nice' with the most current versions?

I'm pretty sure I've seen some people post screenshots in the GOTM forum that are using BUG.

Keep in mind that BUG and HoF have several features in common, though BUG's screenshots are distinctive if you know what to look for. I don't think HoF has pulled in any features from BUG (they're free to, of course), so I think the GP bar with GP type icons and percentages should indicate the use of BUG.

Is there a way to get them to 'play nice' with the most current versions?

You can merge the two mods if you're familiar with programming, especially if you have Python experience. Both mods have a lot of features in the same area. The main interface / city screen is one huge file, and that causes the most trouble for modders to merge. If you do this, you won't be able to submit any of your games, though.

If you just want to play without competing, this would be fine. Perhaps someone has done that work already. What features from HoF would you want in BUG if there are any? MapFinder is the biggie, but they won't let us have it. Any Python changes, however, we are free to include.

Yeah, it was definitely BUG and not just the HOF. It's not so much that I want to include features from HOF into BUG - more the other way around ;) Sounds like I wouldn't be able to submit in the competitions if I did that, though, so...no worries!

On another note, I'm playing in a SG that was started with BUG loaded as a mod, so the save game wants to load it from "Mods/BUG 3.5.1" - obviously since I have it installed in CustomAssets the game doesn't find it and the save won't load.

Any way to get around and/or fix that without just installing BUG under the Mods directory?

I have HOF installed as a mod and BUG under customassets so I have some experience with your setup :D. To play and submit GOTM or HOF games, you need to play the game with the HOF mod and you need to check the 'modified assets' check box. The HOF mod gives you a warning if you don't check it and the HOF / GOTM guys will not accept a game that is submitted with the option off.

When you check that option, the majority of the customassets folder is ignored (BM isn't).

You can add features to the HOF mod - it is just a set of python files so you can edit them ... however, the HOF guys will not accept any game where you have modified their mod - they check that you are running the correct version of their HOF mod. So, if you plan to submit games, play the HOF mod as provided and just live with it. You can, of course, lobby the HOF guys to include various features from BUG but they haven't issued a major update of their mod for ages (just updates for patches and known bugs).

Lastly, you can use the HOF mapfinder to get a nice map and then play it under BUG (obviously not for HOF submission). To do this ...

• load up HOF mod
  • start a game as desired (map, civ, opponents, speed, map size, etc)
  • leave the 'locked assets' option UNCHECKED
  • ignore the HOF nagging message re locked assets
  • run mapfinder as required and select the map you like
  • open your selected map
  • enter WB
  • save the map as a WB game
  • restart Civ4, select single player, start scenario, locate the WB save that you created above and ...
  • bingo - your game is ready to play outside of the HOF mod and with (or without) BUG

Now another question, I'm pretty sure I've seen some people post screenshots in the GOTM forum that are using BUG, and obviously it would also be in concert with the HOF mod. Is there a way to get them to 'play nice' with the most current versions?
If you have seen BUG screenshots in the GOTM, then those would be by players who are NOT submitting their game for prizes. It requires the HOF mod.

I'm playing in a SG that was started with BUG loaded as a mod, so the save game wants to load it from "Mods/BUG 3.5.1" - obviously since I have it installed in CustomAssets the game doesn't find it and the save won't load.

Any way to get around and/or fix that without just installing BUG under the Mods directory?

The name of the mod is stored near the front of the saved game file, but I haven't looked into removing it. It's in Unicode (2-byte characters) AFAICT.

Isn't it possible to just create a folder named "Mods/BUG 3.5.1" to fool the game into thinking the mod is there? I'm sure I've read of other people doing something similar in the past.

Isn't it possible to just create a folder named "Mods/BUG 3.5.1" to fool the game into thinking the mod is there?

That sounds like it will work. If not, create an empty Assets folder inside it.

I run BUG for my normal games and HOF for the GOTM. I have a two CustomAssets folders that I switch between to do this. When I am running an HOF game my CustomAssets has just Blue Marble installed. My other CustomAssets folder is named BMBUGCustomAssets. Since I am running a GOTM save, I just open that save and it opens BTS with the HOF mod. When I am playing a normal game I rename the HOF CustomAssets folder to BMCustomAssets and rename the BUG one to CustomAssets.

I run BUG for my normal games and HOF for the GOTM. I have a two CustomAssets folders that I switch between to do this. When I am running an HOF game my CustomAssets has just Blue Marble installed. My other CustomAssets folder is named BMBUGCustomAssets. Since I am running a GOTM save, I just open that save and it opens BTS with the HOF mod. When I am playing a normal game I rename the HOF CustomAssets folder to BMCustomAssets and rename the BUG one to CustomAssets.

Yeah - that works. Note that if you are playing with locked assets in your HOF games, you don't need to rename the BUG customassets folder as locked assets forces the mod to ignore the customassets directory.

The other option is that you could use my custom assets quick changer which does the same thing and includes the ability to link color themes with various customassets so that you can tell at a glance if you have the right customassets folder 'in play'.

I'm new to all this mod stuff. I got BUG a couple of months ago and now really like it. I installed it in the Custom Assets folder since at the time that seemed simplest as I could just start the game like normal, etc. I added BULL about a month ago for the extra features.

I got BtS and Warlords on the direct2drive sale last May. I only play BtS, but it's on the 3.19 patch I think.

Anywho, I signed up for a SGOTM and installed BUFFY as required. Buffy I think is working the way it should. I load up civ, go advanced, run the buffy 3.19.003 mod, civ starts up again, and I can then play a custom game that is valid for HoF submissions.

But when I tried to load the BOTM 38 (alex) just to make sure it worked. It loaded civ, gave me an error message for about 1 second, and then civ closed.

I imagine the problem has something to do with BUG being in customassets, but I just wanted to check that this isn't some other problem that I'm missing the solution too.

I was planning on just uninstalling BUG and BULL and then only keeping BUFFY. Will this allow me to play games with BUG and work the way that I'm used to?

Side note: I see the nice uninstall program for BUG, but how do I go about uninstalling BULL?

Top Bottom