Bug? Maps are missing

Astat

Warlord
Okay I am starting a new thread on this now as it is really bugging me.

I'm usually not one of these guys who can't get a mod to run and have to whine on the boards, but this time I just can't seem to get the maps listed as they should be.

This is what I see after klicking on "Play a Scenario":

As you can see, there's some maps of the mod missing.

This is where my AoD2 maps are stored:

Now I'm not sure whether I have the mod properly loaded at all. I couldn't even tell the difference, as I haven't played vanilla but installed your mod right away.

Any ideas?

Well, I guess you misunderstood my other post.

Some people report problems when installing the mod in the My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\MODS directory.

Instead, go into your "C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization" directory. If you don't have such a directory, search through the Program Files directory for a Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization directory.

Anyway, in Civ IV, there is a mods folder here. There is not in Civ4Col, however you can create one. Create a new folder, call it mods, and cut-paste the AgeOfDiscoveryII directory into the new Mods directory (remove it in the MODS one).

If this doesn't help, you can start the scenario manually by double-clicking on the "Columbus Dream.ColonizationWBSave" file to load the map.

Some people? Could this have something to do with the German version, which I have?

Before I start messing with my installation, I'd like to know how I can confirm whether I have vanilla or AoD2.

Is there any easy check? Like the costs of a certain building, the speed of a unit, whatever? Just name me a visible difference between vanilla and AoD2. :)

Well, you should see a "AgeOfDiscoveryII" in the upper right hand corner of the screen, along with the background that I see behind the Colonization Scenarios screen in your screenshot.

If it was vanilla, it would show the vanilla screen, with a ship in dock being viewed from the water (or something like that, it's very brown), with "Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization" in big letters, and no text in the upper right hand corner.

And, you're not really "messing with your installation". The Civilization IV file structure is supposed to have a Mods folder in the Program Files directory. Colonization's does not since there are no preexisting mods. However, creating one doesn't cause any issues.

I don't know but I've read somewhere that sometimes, the proper menu background will appear (as in my screenshot) without the mod being properly installed.

I followed your instructions and copied the mod into a newly-created "MOD" folder in the game dir. Now I can see the maps in both vanilla and the mod, thank you very much.

I am still worried about why it wouldn't work the way it should have worked... and did I have to copy the entire mod, or would it have been sufficient to just copy the map files? I mean: which of my 2 mod directories is now actually accessed by the game? :)

Put all your mods in the /program files/ directory tree. Many people have had probs with this mod and others not loading properly because they put it in /my documents/ tree. Someone should sticky this advice.

If you want to write a tutorial on "How to Install a Colonization Mod" in the main Creation and Customization Forum, I'll add it to my stickied list of Colonization Modding Tutorials, also in that forum...

Top Bottom