1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug or Feature: Colonists need full movement points to join city

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Bug Reports' started by hansbobo24, Oct 2, 2008.

1. hansbobo24

hansbobo24 Chieftain

Does anyone know why a unit must have full movement points in order to join a city? If a unit has at least one point left, I think that it should be able to join a city in that turn (instead of waiting another turn to get full movement points back). It should be another benefit of building roads, no?

Is this an intended feature or a bug? If the former, what's the rationale behind it? Is the colonist using the rest of the movement points to build his or her home in the colony?

2. LordGek

LordGek Prince

The best I can figure it is to avoid an exploitable situation created in this game where a soldier could attack, jump back into the settlement, and then have another colonist use the same 50 Guns to equip a new soldier for an attack, etc.

3. Dale

Dale Deity

Easy fix to that is when a unit picks up stuff flag it as cannot attack that turn.

4. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

And then what do you do if the Indians or another power attacks you? If you don't have a standing army, you're hosed (or at least lose a turn of counterattack).

5. Dale

Dale Deity

It can still defend, I'm only setting can't attack.

6. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

I know that, and that's why I said you lose a turn of counterattack. It forces you to turtle for a turn, which gives the AI the opportunity to resupply or redeploy while you simply stand there waiting for the next turn. So instead of picking off an individual troop, you'll have to deal with three the following turn.

7. Dale

Dale Deity

I can't see any other efficient way to avoid the exploit. Unless you have any ideas.

8. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

You could avoid the exploit by keeping the game as it is now. I could see why it's an annoyance, but each turns represents a year passing, should a colonist who moves for half the year then produce as much as a colonist that worked the whole year?

9. Dale

Dale Deity

Then why build roads?

And from looking at the code I get the impressions it's meant to work where they can move/join. You can clear profession and found a colony after moving too, which are extremely similar to the two actions in discussion (profession and join city).

It's too much a signal for a bug in profession and join city to be ignored.

10. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

If that's the case, is there a way to make it so you can't drop guns if you attacked that turn? That would prevent the exploit.

EDIT: There should be a way to make it that soldiers and dragoons can't change professions. I'm not sure how to tie that into an attack, though.

SECOND EDIT: Wait a second *smacks forehead* ... wouldn't the solution be to fix the ability to join a colony after movement points have been expended *except* for Soldiers and Dragoons? Wouldn't that prevent the guns (and horses) from getting swapped?

11. Dale

Dale Deity

Actually you could tie it into your first one, no need to make it complex.

if (!hasAttacked()) :)

12. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

Well, there you go then! I expect full credit ;)

13. ese-aSH

ese-aSH Prince

the reason is : avoiding people from transfering tools / guns / horses from one side of the map to the other in 1 turn ;) (as we all did in the HOMM serie :o)