Bug(s) with Religious Tolerance SP

FeiLing

Deity
v1.0.3.142 - BUG - Religious Tolerance (FeiLing).Civ5Save

Religious Tolerance (SP): Cities with a majority religion also get the Pantheon belief bonus of the second most popular religion.

Mother Earth (Pantheon): +1 :c5faith: from each Copper, Iron and Salt resource.
Piety is picked so rarely... basically only for Sacred Sites games - guess that's why no one has noticed it before.

So here's the bug: When there is no majority religion but a minority of followers as well as some Pantheon followers you'll get the benefit of the same Pantheon twice.
(the SP is awful and even though this bug makes it slightly less awful, this needs to be fixed.)

In this case that means +2 faith from these resources instead of +1. You can even see in the picture that the capital only gets +1 because it has a majority religion, whereas both of the southern cities both get +2 faith for the pantheon resources. You can use the Missionary to to spread the religion to Samoa from which point on it will only get +1 faith for it's salt.

I do not know if this is exclusive to Mother Earth Pantheon, but it seems very likely to me that the bug is with Religious Tolerance SP and therefore would work with all/most Pantheon beliefs.

I guess it's okay that a Pantheon counts/works just like a Religion, but obviously you shouldn't get the same Pantheon bonus twice.

(Also note that the iron and deer graphics have disappeared :crazyeye: (guess it has to do something with the Maoi Improvement - but this definitely is disturbing as you'd think it was completely gone if you don't have the resource icons activated.))

All your bonus questions answered in the spoiler:
Spoiler :
Why is the Scout permanently embarked just off your coast?
-He's fog busting the two tile island there to prevent barbs to spawn and destroy my caravans.

Why did you build Maois over the Iron (and deer) tile?
-Because I don't need the Iron and the AI can't afford to buy it (it's only Warlord difficulty and everyone's in the negatives all the time). For the deer: The stacking culture bonus for adjacent Maoi is worth more than two Hammers to me (-1 for lack of camp and -1 for having chopped the forest (at least in this satellite city)).

Attachments

• BUG - Religious Tolerance (FeiLing).Civ5Save
    814.5 KB · Views: 159
Wouldn't that scout see further if it was actually on the island?

Wouldn't that scout see further if it was actually on the island?
But when I don't need him to fogbust any longer (when a city goes there (soonish)) he'd have to embark, making him lose 3 tiles of movement. And there is nothing to see anyway ;)

Spoiler :
[also: Polynesian units get +1 vision when embarked, so actually: No. :p
Maximum vision would be if he was on the water tile on the right of the fish.]

I didn't report it because I don't consider it a bug. Getting the same bonus twice temporarily is fine. I don't find it all that peculiar either. Religious Tolerance means that the old and new fit well together, even as the new religion supplants the old.

How severe this can be depends on if it applies to all Pantheons or not.
Double Desert Folklore definitely is serious business and you can make huge use of it if you don't spread immediately. Or you could use double Fertility Rites and just let natural spread make you have the double growth bonus for a very long time. How would you feel about attacking an AI that went Oligarchy and now also has Goddess of Protection twice? :D

Or you pick Spain and get 32 (instead of 16) faith per turn from Mt. Kailash and One with Nature Pantheon doubled. Double the doubling - wohoo~! Err... you guys at Firaxis, please tell me you didn't pick up Jay Wilson, did you? ;)

So possibly the most lowly esteemed social policy in the game has a temporary period of brightness under niche conditions.

Anyway, I've seen it on Oral Tradition and Sacred Path. I assume it works on all such Pantheons.

The problem for me is that this is way too specific and also simply unreliable as hell, it's something a casual player would most of the times not even notice if it happens and even if he wouldn't be able to figure out why and how to reproduce. Then should he comes to a forum like this and actually finds it explained somewhere he still will most likely never be able to make use of it.

Anyway; confirming it does also work with other pantheons (like Desert Folklore):
Spoiler :

Adrianople is working the 2 faith desert hill west of the silver:

The problem for me is that this is way too specific and also simply unreliable as hell, it's something a casual player would most of the times not even notice if it happens and even if he wouldn't be able to figure out why and how to reproduce. Then should he comes to a forum like this and actually finds it explained somewhere he still will most likely never be able to make use of it.
I don't see the problem. Casual players might theoretically be ignorant of or confused by lots of mechanics and be unable to take advantage of them. The nice thing about being casual is that it shouldn't matter that much.

It's not going to singlehandedly convince everyone Piety is a good tree, but that's okay. It's just a fun little quirk.

Most folks don't have any problem with bugs that amount to rewards-- even to the point of denying that the bug is a bug. For example, few folks objected to the severely broken RAs in G&K, since they yielded insane beakers and rewarded those who micromanaged their beakers to maximize the benefit, but they were severely bugged (and fun while they lasted).

Most folks don't have any problem with bugs that amount to rewards-- even to the point of denying that the bug is a bug. For example, few folks objected to the severely broken RAs in G&K, since they yielded insane beakers and rewarded those who micromanaged their beakers to maximize the benefit, but they were severely bugged (and fun while they lasted).
Is this a bug?

If I recall correctly, that wasn't a bug and more just poor game design. This is definitely a bug. One could make the case that it's a good bug, however; the first comparison that comes to mind to me is the Juggernaut Glitch in Marvel vs. Capcom 2. There was an exploit where you could cause Juggernaut's Power Up move to become permanent and apply to all of his attacks from that point on; Juggernaut was really terrible without it and decent at best with it so people just accepted it as a feature and moved on.

The situation arises due to the way that Religious Tolerance was implemented. It's either a bug that wasn't patched, or a feature that's working as expected. I'm merging this thread with the one with the original report. Please look at the thread for more information. Thanks for reporting it!

Top Bottom