[Bug] Unable to click "promote" buttons - screen resolution?

Buccaneer

Deity
I have a War Chariot that is at 4/10 health and has enough points (23/10) to promote to Heal Instantly, Drill or Shock. But when I click on any of those buttons, nothing happens. I am in open terrain and I tried inside and outside of my borders. Why can't I promote?

Apparently I am the only one with this problem. Is there something in the game that is preventing from doing any promotions? :(

I found this at GameSpot by someone that had this same problem.

If you force it to use the smaller font size in the settings then some of the icon clicks don't always work.

What does that mean exactly?

In the .ini file, I tried every combination of this but no difference

[InterfaceSettings]

SmallUIAssets = 0

AutoUIAssets = 1

Is it something else I need to set? Help please, this is a show-stopper for me.

works OK for me. What screen resolution are you playing? Are you in full-screen mode? Have you tried restarting Civ? I'm wondering if its related to this bug?

I tried 4 different combinations based on the only resolutions I am able to play: 1280x1024, 1024x768, both in full-screen and non full-screen. While I did confirm that bug described above, I was still not able to generate a click event on the promotion buttons - with Small Scale Interface off or on. I think you are on the right track, perhaps the promotion buttons only work in higher resolutions?

When you mouse-over the button, it should get a highlight on it. Can you try putting the mouse slightly above and slightly below the button, and see if you can see it highlight? That would show that its the mouse relative to the screen that is the issue.

When you mouse-over the button, it should get a highlight on it. Can you try putting the mouse slightly above and slightly below the button, and see if you can see it highlight? That would show that its the mouse relative to the screen that is the issue.

The buttons are highlighted when the point of the cursors enters from the sides or bottom. On the top, I can highlight it with the cursor point slight off of it. In full-screen mode, it only highlights within the buttons. But alas, regardless where I highlight it, I can't activate the buttons.

Can you please post your DXDIALOG file, along with your GraphicsSettingsDX9.ini and GraphicsSettingsDX11.ini files?

Thank you for your help on this.

Attachments

• DxDiag_092510.txt
    48.9 KB · Views: 236
  • GraphicsSettingsDX9.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 238
I thought of something. I played the tutorials on Friday, with version 1.0.0.7. I do not recall having the promotion problem at that time, but I am not sure. Perhaps something got introduced in 1.0.0.17 and related to this fix?

"•Default resolution fix for DX9: Some users who have non-standard or below the minimum specification resolutions crashed before starting. Now, the system will change to Windowed mode and start so it does not crash."

Found the solution.

In the config.ini, I had this set:

; Set to 1 to disable Audio system
Audio = 1

Setting it back to 0 enabled the Promotion buttons. I wondered if it was any of the settings in [DisableSystems] but after turning another off (Projectile system), it still worked. So there must have been something about the Audio that connected to the promotion control?

Anyway, glad I found the solution but I wasted a whole weekend. :(

Morale of the story is not to @$#!% with the two ini files.

Top Bottom