Build-Your-Own Sponsor

The differences in BE seem to be eluding some folks, who keep thinking in Civ V terms. This is even mentioned by the developers in the Firaxis preview vids. I'm looking forward to seeing what the forum will be talking about a week after the game's release, after the initial rush (or shock) wears off and folks have played a lot of turns and maybe finished a game or two...or ten.

How about a much simplified "build your own faction":

-Choose name of faction
-Choose leader name (from what I have seen you never see your leader's picture/model anyhow)
-Choose color scheme
-Choose icon (could have a set of alternate choices)
-Choose from ONE of the existing UA's (whichever UA you choose, that faction won't be present in the game)

-Perhaps even give players the chance to type in their own backstory.

Disassociating the choice of sponsor from the choice of sponsor ability seems like a great idea to me. Want to play Hutama with better covert ops? Sure, why not? Hopefully, it isn't hard to mod (just remove the ability from the sponsor and add a new seeding choice for the ability only). It isn't known if it will be easy to mod in more total questions for the seeding, or just additional answers to each question.

Separating the sponsor and the ability also make modding much easier - people can add in new sponsor abilities without having to worry about the sponsor assets to go with it. If you did this in civ 5 by creating new UA and just giving it China's assets, then you have the possibility of two people playing China which is weird. Making the sponsor and the ability separate choices in seeding fixes that nicely.

I don't see much benefit in breaking the sponsor abilities down further as they are already fairly small bonuses. But, the idea of picking more than one choice from each seeding category is not bad.

Top Bottom