builders can build roads

madm

Chieftain
As a civ fanatic who is currently just disappointed by civ6 (particularly about the AI but also several elements of gameplay), I’ve attempted to improve my fun in playing the game by altering something that just annoys me: unit movement is slow, and builders can’t build roads anymore (I find the whole implementation of road building in the game just strange; a trade route from city A to C just avoiding city B inbetween? Just not fun (and inaccurate). Also, waiting for military engineers before you can build a road, just not fun imo). So I changed the code a little to enable builders to build roads, see below (it can be incorporated into a mod easily I guess). This way, building a road still costs one builder action, so there’s a nice balance between long distance roads that you want to have created for free by trade routes, and short distance roads at strategic locations to be built by builders.

Dir: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Gameplay\Data
File: routes.xml
Lines 20-23
Change UnitType to UNIT_BUILDER

There's a ton of mods at the Creation and Customization subforum that add this or have it as part of their mod, typically coupled with other tweaks (because right now builder charges are really too expensive to use for single tiles of road, and once you get to the commercial hubs it isn't that much work to get a good road network going anyways).

Top Bottom