Building based internal trade.

Internal trade can be weird. A guide recently posted on building victory wonders faster suggested setting routes to the building city and then scrapping all the factory building in other cities. This would increase the production difference between them and thus increase trade. It occurred to me that if you had the virtue that gave production from population you could also benefit if you could kill off the population and that would increase production trade. That's effing crazy.
Here's one solution I thought of. Have all internal trade be the same regardless of output difference, but have every food and production building have the autoplant's effect of adding to trade. Then you'd need cities with buildings to trade lots of production instead of empty cities offering the most.

It could also be based on local resources to make them matter more on the map.

It could also be based on local resources to make them matter more on the map.

I do think that would be the best

Food yield based on
# of types of "Food resources" the other city has
2*# of types of "Food resources" the other city has that this one doesn't
# of types of "Food Resources" this city has that the other city doesn't
Buildings
a Small % of the other cities (base) food-smaller % of other cities (base) production [to allow for specialization].. ie building a Manufactury would Decrease the food that you give in trade (although it would increase the production)

Same for Production, Science, Energy (each resource would be either Food or Production AND Science or Energy)

Yup, there are several better ways to do trade. My original post was just the one I don't think I'd read before and seemed like it could be modded if one cared to. Right not I'm doing more Mario Maker.
I just wish they'd pick an option and do something different with internal trade.

As far as I know in Rising Tide the formula for internal trade is swapped again, which should already passively solve that issue - as smaller cities get the big chunk of production and selling buildings would only increase the amount of resources that they get.

However, I still think the formula should put more of an emphasis on the overall production that is available (trending towards the smaller city), not on the difference in Production between 2 cities.

Now I'm confused because I can't remember every version of the trade system.
Speaking of internal trade my remembrance is that originally, it mattered which city was the destination and which the sender. The difference in output determined the trade value but the bigger share went to the destination city. Result is you can make any one (or two or three by route limit) city a super city, big or small. I often ended up building wonders in pop 1 cities that were destination to many cities, although I hear most other players supercharged their capital.
Now, it's the same regardless of who is the sender or destination city, and it was to the advantage of the greater city. So cities get more of what they already have. Result is rich cities get richer (in what ever yield the have more of) and new cities do far more to help big cities than they get back.
Now if what's been Saud is true then it's still the same regardless of source and destination, but reversed so rich cities sent out their richness. If true then that works okay for me. I won't have unproductive cities being a huge boost to other cities. The illogic of that unsettled me.
There's still the potential weirdness of for example building factories in a new city and having its production go down because trade is reduced.
I'm tired of thinking about this.

Yes, if the same formula is used with the least productive city benefiting the most, cash buying a factory in moderate to low production cities would indeed be counter productive.

I think at some point the developers are going to put hard cap on hammers any city can get via a single trade route.

In addition, one of the easiest ways I can see increasing the expected time to victory for expert players would be greatly reducing hammers & food available from trade routes.

One easy design goal would be to ensure that buying a factory building in a city never reduces production via trade routes.

Those buildings are niche enough as-is.

I guess that means I'll cash but the yield (production or food) that it's getting the least from trade.
I'm predicting having to save, but some buildings, seeing how it affects trade and then reloading if it is detrimental.
I hate when I have to save and reload to see what happens, and it's not even random, just a pain in the ass to figure out any other way.

Top Bottom