Building Gametext review (missing text).

Nice observation! I will change the text to reflect that this resource helps enabling it as OMCC requires the ChildCare Hut + a specific food resource active (see attachments).

The requirement for having Eggs is also wrong.

All I ever have to build is the Child care hut.

I don't find poultry every game in my starting cities. And you don't get eggs from subdued poultry Until you research Poultry Domestication tech. Then you can build the flocks and rattles from your subdued birds that give the resource eggs. Nest Thief is long gone by then.

In fact Nest Thief, until just recently, was never available to be built early game. Now it's showing up again from game to game. Not sure when DH fixed it though. But it's been in the last month or so.

The requirement for having Eggs is also wrong.

All I ever have to build is the Child care hut.

I don't find poultry every game in my starting cities. And you don't get eggs from subdued poultry Until you research Poultry Domestication tech. Then you can build the flocks and rattles from your subdued birds that give the resource eggs. Nest Thief is long gone by then.

In fact Nest Thief, until just recently, was never available to be built early game. Now it's showing up again from game to game. Not sure when DH fixed it though. But it's been in the last month or so.
Eggs is one of the potentially challenging OR resource requirements you need to get to enable the building of the Omega Child Crew. If you can't get carcasses or fish, eggs are your main alternative.

I fixed the Nest Thief by making a new vicinity type requirement, that the bonus, even if unimproved (which was the problem - the improvement for a poultry plot came in after the nest thief was obsoleted) and unrouted, is enough to qualify just to have it within workable city radius. It's called a Raw Vicinity Bonus Prerequisite and operates on a new tag that's ALMOST a copy of the normal vicinity prerequisite tag.

The problem with longer strategy text is that this is the text shown when you hover over the unit, building etc.. TB has split what is shown so we have three panels rather than just the one so this may not be a problem. Before this change the hover over was too big to display properly in some instances eg one unit had its pedia and strategy the same and so the hover over text went off the page making the pop-up usless.

The 20 character limit was a suggestion. I have gone over that myself with the more useful subdued animals. I even use line breaks and bullet points.

Omegachild Crew does Not need Nest Thief to build. All you need is the hut with the child's face on it. Can't remember it's name atm. Very early building gives culture and education. Use it every game to build OMCC. Asap.

EDIT: ChildCare Hut! :coffee:

And Welcome to the Team KaTiON_PT. :)
It requires that building and a bonus that provides protein eg eggs or what comes from the butcher.

IIRC, Strategy text only shows up on the pedia page.

And yes, I know there are still some tags that need to be given a limiter on how many entries can be displayed before it gives a ... in the short text.

The problem with longer strategy text is that this is the text shown when you hover over the unit, building etc.. TB has split what is shown so we have three panels rather than just the one so this may not be a problem. Before this change the hover over was too big to display properly in some instances eg one unit had its pedia and strategy the same and so the hover over text went off the page making the pop-up usless.

The 20 character limit was a suggestion. I have gone over that myself with the more useful subdued animals. I even use line breaks and bullet points.

It requires that building and a bonus that provides protein eg eggs or what comes from the butcher.
Well everyone at that stage is building any :food: giving build they can. To get rid of the - :food: and :yuck:. So yeah the butcher/ scavenger buildings, etc. will get built asap.

Well everyone at that stage is building any :food: giving build they can. To get rid of the - :food: and :yuck:. So yeah the butcher/ scavenger buildings, etc. will get built asap.
I've had quite a few games where I fail to get a herd animal for the meat and the Omega is thus majorly delayed Case in point is our current Progressive MP game. Very few herd animals where I am and lots of deadly primates and cats. No access to Omega is only one of the major impediments I'm facing there for this reason. If I was facing this as a new player, knowing eggs could solve for that problem for the Omega at least, would be a lifesaver - if I also had poultry nearby, which sadly there I don't. I think I've got a duck in holding waiting for poultry domestication and that may be the earliest I'll be able to get the omega. Unless I can get some more successful hunting than I've had. I seem to kill anything of value most of the time. Urgh.

I've had quite a few games where I fail to get a herd animal for the meat and the Omega is thus majorly delayed Case in point is our current Progressive MP game. Very few herd animals where I am and lots of deadly primates and cats. No access to Omega is only one of the major impediments I'm facing there for this reason. If I was facing this as a new player, knowing eggs could solve for that problem for the Omega at least, would be a lifesaver - if I also had poultry nearby, which sadly there I don't. I think I've got a duck in holding waiting for poultry domestication and that may be the earliest I'll be able to get the omega. Unless I can get some more successful hunting than I've had. I seem to kill anything of value most of the time. Urgh.
I have many games where Omega is not available until I can get a Building that gives a carcass. And then go from there. So yeah OMCC can be delayed until Animal Domestication or similar tech in that series of X tech columns. Just ran into it in my newest Deity game SVN 10031 started yesterday evening. But I also altered the Palace to put back in the missing ED and Crime values. Which I see Toffer put back the Ed. But not the Crime. I don't remember who put the -20 Crime in the Palace. I don't think it was me but rather was you T-brd.

I have updated to latest SVN this morning. We shall see how that goes. Maybe another New game? :p

Quite a few buildings are inside "Hydro_CIV4GameText.xml", do I have permission to mess with those?

Quite a few buildings are inside "Hydro_CIV4GameText.xml", do I have permission to mess with those?
PM him and if no answer in a day or 2, I would say go for it.

I don't think he would mind unless you radically change the text content of the pedia entries or building names so that a building seem to become a different building than what Hydro imagined them to be.

I don't think he would mind unless you radically change the text content of the pedia entries or building names so that a building seem to become a different building than what Hydro imagined them to be.

Asked permission as per Joseph_II suggestion. Since I'm simply replacing strategy texts I don't think Hydro will mind that much, but let's see.

I don't think he would mind adding stuff to placeholder strategy/history sections.

I made shorter version of list, that lists things with missing history entries.

It is in bottom of first post.

Last edited:
Following resources doesn't have pedia text:
Grapes - BONUS_GRAPE_PEDIA

I think I just copy some text from wikipedia.

A grape is a fruit, botanically a berry, of the deciduous woody vines of the flowering plant genus Vitis.
Grapes can be eaten fresh as table grapes or they can be used for making wine, jam, juice, jelly, grape seed extract, raisins, vinegar, and grape seed oil. Grapes are a non-climacteric type of fruit, generally occurring in clusters.

The cultivation of the domesticated grape began 6,000–8,000 years ago in the Near East.
Yeast, one of the earliest domesticated microorganisms, occurs naturally on the skins of grapes, leading to the discovery of alcoholic drinks such as wine.
The earliest archeological evidence for a dominant position of wine-making in human culture dates from 8,000 years ago in Georgia.
The oldest known winery was found in Armenia, dating to around 4000 BC.
By the 9th century AD the city of Shiraz was known to produce some of the finest wines in the Middle East.
Thus it has been proposed that Syrah red wine is named after Shiraz, a city in Persia where the grape was used to make Shirazi wine.
Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics record the cultivation of purple grapes, and history attests to the ancient Greeks, Phoenicians, and Romans growing purple grapes for both eating and wine production.]
The growing of grapes would later spread to other regions in Europe, as well as North Africa, and eventually in North America.
In North America, native grapes belonging to various species of the genus Vitis proliferate in the wild across the continent, and were a part of the diet of many Native Americans, but were considered by European colonists to be unsuitable for wine. Vitis vinifera cultivars were imported for that purpose.

Following resources doesn't have pedia text:
Grapes - BONUS_GRAPE_PEDIA

I think I just copy some text from wikipedia.

A grape is a fruit, botanically a berry, of the deciduous woody vines of the flowering plant genus Vitis.
Grapes can be eaten fresh as table grapes or they can be used for making wine, jam, juice, jelly, grape seed extract, raisins, vinegar, and grape seed oil. Grapes are a non-climacteric type of fruit, generally occurring in clusters.

The cultivation of the domesticated grape began 6,000–8,000 years ago in the Near East.
Yeast, one of the earliest domesticated microorganisms, occurs naturally on the skins of grapes, leading to the discovery of alcoholic drinks such as wine.
The earliest archeological evidence for a dominant position of wine-making in human culture dates from 8,000 years ago in Georgia.
The oldest known winery was found in Armenia, dating to around 4000 BC.
By the 9th century AD the city of Shiraz was known to produce some of the finest wines in the Middle East.
Thus it has been proposed that Syrah red wine is named after Shiraz, a city in Persia where the grape was used to make Shirazi wine.
Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics record the cultivation of purple grapes, and history attests to the ancient Greeks, Phoenicians, and Romans growing purple grapes for both eating and wine production.]
The growing of grapes would later spread to other regions in Europe, as well as North Africa, and eventually in North America.
In North America, native grapes belonging to various species of the genus Vitis proliferate in the wild across the continent, and were a part of the diet of many Native Americans, but were considered by European colonists to be unsuitable for wine. Vitis vinifera cultivars were imported for that purpose.
Works for me.

Top Bottom