Burma Redux

HI Tech,

I'm not sure if you've given any thought to my suggestion to make the c46 a "boat" that can travel on rivers, but in case you were mulling it over, here are a few quirks I've identified from implementing it in "Over the Reich:"

1. The "can travel on rivers" flag has the unwanted effect of making the unit invisible, and also no longer ignoring sprites. I think this is because those are the first and last flags and adding abother one messes up the system. (I haven't tested if the other effects also break). I don't know if either of these are issues for you. I would assume the cheating AI doesn't can "see" invisible

2. You cannot create a naval unit on the river. It must be in a city or ocean square. This caused a problem for me because I had to create little "ponds" for the units to correctly spawn. As I didn't want the Allies to know exactly where the unit would spawn and game this by placing bombers over the tile, I solved it by creating invincible units on the space. I'm not sure how the AI would handle that in your situation though (would they be smart enough to know they don't stand a chance against the invincible, or would they keep bashing their heads against it?)

3. Units can't use the "go to" command to successfully navigate these river squares (either the command or the mouse drag option - both don't work.) These units can use both options when they move back to strictly ocean terrain.

4. A unit can start on a square that doesn't have a river (such as a city) onto a river. They can also move back into the city.

Despite a few quirks, the concept works great and we finally have a train track that train units can't move off of, so if you really wanted there to be one direct route for something that couldn't be deviated from, then this might work for you.

Thanks John. I experimented with the river travel flag while working on Burma. I wanted riverboats for the Japanese, but quickly learned that the AI can't use them. I did consider your idea, but have settled on an air unit with a shorter range that has 2 or 3 turns endurance, forcing it to stop within range of Japanese air bases while flying over the "Hump".. When it arrives near Kunming in China, it attacks a fortress unit of an auxiliary civ and is destroyed, each one triggering a few reinforcements for the Chinese. Failure to get enough supplies to the AI-controlled Chinese will result in them being overrun, costing you the game. Or so I intend.

Top Bottom