C2C - Religions discussions and ideas

Any news about the addition of new religions?
This is on hold at the moment because I want to include all religions and get away from the fantasy ones we currently have where they are fixed for all time. Art is always a problem, especially for the missionary unit.

I just can't seem to get the new round buttons to work. If I could then "Dream Time" a mishmash of the hundreds of Australian religions would already be in game.

This is on hold at the moment because I want to include all religions and get away from the fantasy ones we currently have where they are fixed for all time. Art is always a problem, especially for the missionary unit.

I just can't seem to get the new round buttons to work. If I could then "Dream Time" a mishmash of the hundreds of Australian religions would already be in game.

Good to hear, more religions are always good.
Just for been curious, how it will work?

Last edited:
where are all the missionaries??
I reported this one before and tagged @Dancing Hoskuld

Thunderbrd explained that Ancient era can spread only by themselves for half of era.

Missionares are unlocked later.
So Mesopotamism can be spread if you get Priesthood (can build Temples).
All other Ancient era religions can be built if you research Meditation (can build Monastery) - tech at beginning of Classical era.
Cathedrals can be built by Musical Notation - tech at end of Classical era.

Sometimes unclear/inconsistent mechanic is indistinguishable from bug :p

Last edited:
no i am only in ancient era . . thats why i chose the rel in the pic, thought it would spread on its own, but after around 20 turns, still no other town got it??
Some religions in the early game have very little ability to spread on it's own.
Have you built the great prophet building for that religion, those usually spread the religion.

Some religions are more equal than others:mischief:. Canaanism spreads slowest of all. In that particular case I think it is a bug.

Good to hear, more religions are always good.
Just for been curious, how it will work?
It is complicated as I am still working it out but I can outline the first bits. I am currently separating it from the various attempts I have tried with Nomadic Start.

When you get the tech Animism
  1. your regional form of Animism will spread to all your cities. For example Animism - African if you have base Culture of African. It has no holy city or shrine. The only buildings it has are Lesser Shrines. Each city can have three Lesser Shrines based on local conditions one each for

- food plant
    - domesticated animal
    - land form or wild animal

2. The plant and domesticated animal will provide a small boost to :food:, the land form a small boost to :science: and the wild animal a small boost to military, non-military units or :hammers:.

3. The Religious Form civic allows you to choose between Religious and Atheist. Religious doubles the boost of each shrine. Atheist adds either a :science: or education boost depending on the individual shrine.

4. Based on the Cultures you have you may build a specific religion for example San(Animist) or San (Atheist). This will give you a Holy City and the religion will automatically spread to all your cities without a period of anarchy. You will only be able to build one of these. It allows you to build temple level buildings. This allows a second set of lesser shrines.

5. Nations with the same Animism - Region get a +1 attitude towards others with the same Religious Form.
No matter which Religious Form you have you will be able to build the "Faces of God" mod Religious Way buildings. Which ones are available to you will depend on your tech level and the piety level of your religion. Piety level is based solely on the number of buildings of that religion active in the world.

Pantheism will become available at a tech in the Prehistoric Era. The Elemental buildings (air, fire, stone, etc.) may have a religious component.

At Polytheism you will be able to convert to a Polytheistic religion by building the "Unify the Pantheon" national wonder building. This will allow you to choose from the available polytheistic religions, ie those not yet founded and you have the tech for. For example San(Polytheistic). Where you build the national wonder will be where the holy city is. I am currently thinking that the Shrine buildings will replace the national wonder so that if you like you can found another religion but it wont be able to be done in the same city.
  1. While you don't have to convert to Polytheism and the new religion if you do so when you build the wonder there will be no anarchy and the religion will spread to all your cities. There will be extra but reducing unhappiness in all cities but no anarchy. Leave it to later and you will need to spread the religion yourself.

2. Each lesser shrine increases the cost of the national wonder slightly since there is more to do.
At Monotheism you will need a Great Person to change to the Monotheist civic and choose a Monotheist Religion. For example San(Monotheistic).

Religious Tenets.

These are like civics and affect your nation in cities that have that religion. Only the owner of the Holy Shrine can change these except when the Council of the religion is built. The Council can only be built by a nation that does not have the Shrine. Once built changes to the Tenets are voted on (similar to UN) with the number of your votes determines by the buildings in your nation.
  1. Proselytize verses non-proselytize

2. Focus on god verses focus on the flock verses focus on self enlightenment

This will probably be split further and defines the basic bonuses that temples and cathedrals give.

3. training of priests - inspired; master/student; ordained and so on

Sorry that is all I have time for now. I have included a number of Praetyre's ideas in the details. This is more by way of an overview.

no i am only in ancient era . . thats why i chose the rel in the pic, thought it would spread on its own, but after around 20 turns, still no other town got it??
That religion starts slow until you get to Classical Era and Research Meditation. so 20 turns is not much in way ot time for that religion to spread in Ancient Era.

It is complicated as I am still working it out but I can outline the first bits. I am currently separating it from the various attempts I have tried with Nomadic Start.

When you get the tech Animism
  1. your regional form of Animism will spread to all your cities. For example Animism - African if you have base Culture of African. It has no holy city or shrine. The only buildings it has are Lesser Shrines. Each city can have three Lesser Shrines based on local conditions one each for

- food plant
    - domesticated animal
    - land form or wild animal

2. The plant and domesticated animal will provide a small boost to :food:, the land form a small boost to :science: and the wild animal a small boost to military, non-military units or :hammers:.

3. The Religious Form civic allows you to choose between Religious and Atheist. Religious doubles the boost of each shrine. Atheist adds either a :science: or education boost depending on the individual shrine.

4. Based on the Cultures you have you may build a specific religion for example San(Animist) or San (Atheist). This will give you a Holy City and the religion will automatically spread to all your cities without a period of anarchy. You will only be able to build one of these. It allows you to build temple level buildings. This allows a second set of lesser shrines.

5. Nations with the same Animism - Region get a +1 attitude towards others with the same Religious Form.
No matter which Religious Form you have you will be able to build the "Faces of God" mod Religious Way buildings. Which ones are available to you will depend on your tech level and the piety level of your religion. Piety level is based solely on the number of buildings of that religion active in the world.

Pantheism will become available at a tech in the Prehistoric Era. The Elemental buildings (air, fire, stone, etc.) may have a religious component.

At Polytheism you will be able to convert to a Polytheistic religion by building the "Unify the Pantheon" national wonder building. This will allow you to choose from the available polytheistic religions, ie those not yet founded and you have the tech for. For example San(Polytheistic). Where you build the national wonder will be where the holy city is. I am currently thinking that the Shrine buildings will replace the national wonder so that if you like you can found another religion but it wont be able to be done in the same city.
  1. While you don't have to convert to Polytheism and the new religion if you do so when you build the wonder there will be no anarchy and the religion will spread to all your cities. There will be extra but reducing unhappiness in all cities but no anarchy. Leave it to later and you will need to spread the religion yourself.

2. Each lesser shrine increases the cost of the national wonder slightly since there is more to do.
At Monotheism you will need a Great Person to change to the Monotheist civic and choose a Monotheist Religion. For example San(Monotheistic).

Religious Tenets.

These are like civics and affect your nation in cities that have that religion. Only the owner of the Holy Shrine can change these except when the Council of the religion is built. The Council can only be built by a nation that does not have the Shrine. Once built changes to the Tenets are voted on (similar to UN) with the number of your votes determines by the buildings in your nation.
  1. Proselytize verses non-proselytize

2. Focus on god verses focus on the flock verses focus on self enlightenment

This will probably be split further and defines the basic bonuses that temples and cathedrals give.

3. training of priests - inspired; master/student; ordained and so on

Sorry that is all I have time for now. I have included a number of Praetyre's ideas in the details. This is more by way of an overview.

Genial!

That was an impressive upgrade from the old system. That will be nice to try.

I have somes questions through: What will be the regional form for Wrud, since the Neanderthals are not in any cultural group? And, also, If I am at the regional form A (for example), an I conquered an cities who are from regional form B, do I will could build the Lesser Shrines, from A and B for each bonus ressources?

Genial!

That was an impressive upgrade from the old system. That will be nice to try.

I have somes questions through: What will be the regional form for Wrud, since the Neanderthals are not in any cultural group? And, also, If I am at the regional form A (for example), an I conquered an cities who are from regional form B, do I will could build the Lesser Shrines, from A and B for each bonus ressources?
All the base animism religion groups share the same buildings.

Neanderthals would be European or Asian. Or maybe a special version for themselves.

There is , in Leadership Section under Religions , there are all Religions with their Units and Buildings.
It is very comfortable , i use it a lot last night,that why i answer here...

All the base animism religion groups share the same buildings.

Neanderthals would be European or Asian. Or maybe a special version for themselves.

An separate group for them should reflect more the area they had covered.

At this effect this picture may be useful. They may have an religion who are useful up to mid-antiquity, with bonus tied to cave feature and for some specific ressources, like mammoths, poultry and (evidently) stone, and even with some myths like those for eagles and those for rhinos.

The best use for this religion was (probably) the Cruciform symbol (as represented in the image): https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/111/37/13301.full.pdf

Attachments

• 68241211_10217219332308672_7360315790509211648_o.jpg
    68241211_10217219332308672_7360315790509211648_o.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 130
Top Bottom