C2C Simple Civics

Thanks for doing this. I haven't had a chance to play a game; just to look them over. All in all, I like what you've done. It really does make the Civics page more conceptually simple.

My main suggestion is that the Government civics be buffed, so that there are more substantial differences between them. That is the first and, it appears to me, most important category, and so it should be the most consequential decision.

For Education, I would nerf the Rapid Education and Instant Education options. As for Language, I don't like the way the options are simply a linear progression of improvement, but I'm not sure how to change it, other than that they should be nerfed too.

I would be very interested to know what you are planning for Expanded Civics. For my space colonization modmod, one of the items on the agenda is to add some new civic options for the late game, and I would be very happy to see someone else do that instead.

Here are some ideas on my list. I would probably not implement all of them.

Government
Robocracy. Requires Binary Legislation. Your civilization is ruled by Three Laws-Compliant AI. Greater science bonus than Technocracy, but at a cost of slower military production.
Consensus. Requires Sentient Earth. Now that your civilization has been wired together into a single consciousness, decisions are more harmonious. But it is more difficult to change course. Similar to Democracy, with greater happiness bonus and higher upkeep.

Rule
Rhizomes. Requires Mesh Networks. Your civilization is now divided into highly autonomous cells, which are governed by open source protocols rather than a central government. No maintenance costs from city distance, slow unit production, highly unstable.

Power
Money. Requires Megacorporations. Your civilization follows the Golden Rule: those who have the gold, rule. Not at all like real life. Money bonus in all cities.

Society
Knowledge. Requires Knowledge Mercantalism. Your civilization's values: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before. Science and Education bonus to all cities.

Economy
Growth. Requires Utopia Destiny. Your goal is as much economic growth as possible, and state policy is relentless oriented in this direction. Bonus to science and production, loss of money, significant pollution.

Military
Militarized Space. Requires Solar Ordnance. Someone has been watching too much Star Wars. Faster production of spaceships and certain space-based military buildings.

Religion
Syncretism. Requires Synergetics. A project to unify religion, philosophy, and science into a single system of thought. No state religion, minor science bonus (compared to Atheist), great person bonus.
Transcendence. Requires Ascension. Might your universe merely be some kind of simulated reality? Nah, couldn't be. Major great person bonus, loss of hammers and money.

Welfare
Immaterialism. Requires Attometer Nanomorphism. Having shed physical bodies, your people no longer have physical needs. Similar to Superhuman, but with a production instead of a science bonus.

Garbage
Recycling. Requires Recycling. Recycle, reduce, reuse, and close the loop. Pollution reduction and health benefit, high upkeep, loss of gold.
Off-Planet Dumping. Requires Coilgun instead of Astronautics. Now you shoot garbage into space with a giant gun.

Immigration
Species Regulation. Requires Interstellar Trade. ET is welcome to visit, but he's not getting a prepaid calling card. Similar to Secure Borders, but with a health bonus and higher upkeep.

Agriculture
Vertical Agriculture. Outdoor farms take up too much space and are not good for the environment, so they have been moved indoors. Major increase to food production, pollution reduction, very high upkeep.

Currency
Post-Currency. Requires Synergetics. Most people no longer use money, and all goods are available for free. Governments and large organizations still use money. Similar to No Currency, but the penalties are not as severe, and there is a major boost to happiness and health.

@pepper2000,

I suggest playing a game with this new set to get a better handle on what is short and what is long.

I'm not sure the Gov't options really need more details or "buffed". Your later game Gov't types could be of use though. If anyone can get there during a normal C2C game.

In the game I'm playing with this set there are marked differences between it and the set already in C2C (obviously but play time makes it easier to note the differences). Plus I've actually had the sets switched with each new SVN update to see how it would effect the current state of the game at each update time. (The zzNewCivic set of course has to be loaded into My_Mods after each SVN update) So after each SVN update I do the re-calc with the Main C2C set, observe the changes in Gold/research/espionage/ etc. and then re-load the zzNew Civic set and re-calc to get back to how the game was progressing before the new SVN update.

JosEPh

You are right in that one cannot really know how a concept will work without actually playing a game. Next time I have enough time to start a new game, I'll use Simple Civic and share some thoughts as to how it plays.

@CIVPlayer8,
Still using your set in 2 games I have going right now. Neither have made it into Classical era yet though. War seems to slow the game down....duh.

Still testing and can't say I found any real problems so far.

JosEPh

@CIVPlayer8,
Still using your set in 2 games I have going right now. Neither have made it into Classical era yet though. War seems to slow the game down....duh.

Still testing and can't say I found any real problems so far.

JosEPh

Glad to hear! Do you have any critiques of the civics themselves, or how the AI is playing with them?

Glad to hear! Do you have any critiques of the civics themselves, or how the AI is playing with them?

Not yet for in depth analysis.

I did pick Marathon game speed so that makes getting to the later Civics a bit longer to get too.

Early game no problems seen. Easy to decide when and which early Civics to use. Don't have to set and think thru a list of changes. And the flow from 1 Civic to the next is not a complete 180* twist or turn. I'm rather liking the Basic BtS Civic feel this set is giving.

JosEPh

I would prefer to have at LEAST 4 options with each civic

Trade with the new stuff really sucks . . IMPO ; just add:

Spoiler :

<BuildingHappinessChanges>
<BuildingHappinessChange>
<BuildingType>BUILDINGCLASS_GRANARY</BuildingType>
<iHappinessChange>1</iHappinessChange>
</BuildingHappinessChange>
<BuildingHappinessChange>
<BuildingType>BUILDINGCLASS_MODERN_GRANARY</BuildingType>
<iHappinessChange>1</iHappinessChange>
</BuildingHappinessChange>
</BuildingHappinessChanges>
<BuildingHealthChanges>
<BuildingHealthChange>
<BuildingType>BUILDINGCLASS_HEALERHUT</BuildingType>
<iHealthChange>1</iHealthChange>
</BuildingHealthChange>
<BuildingHealthChange>
<BuildingType>BUILDINGCLASS_DOCTOR</BuildingType>
</BuildingHealthChange>
<BuildingHealthChange>
<BuildingType>BUILDINGCLASS_BAZAAR</BuildingType>
</BuildingHealthChange>
</BuildingHealthChanges>

EDIT: I made some changes to a few of the civic u made that included some of the OLD OLD RoM civics 2 ur NEW civics . .

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=14152697&postcount=12721

@CIVPlayer8,

As of SVN version 9100 your Civic set here is now probably incompatible due to recent xml changes.

JosEPh

@CIVPlayer8,

As of SVN version 9100 your Civic set here is now probably incompatible due to recent xml changes.

JosEPh

Thank you, noted. :)
Also, I updated my first post with plans for upcoming civics, feedback is welcome.

Small question why would you have anger from non-state religions when you can't have a state religion? I suppose it is basically anger from all religions which seems strange.

Taxation is double dipping. That is what the slider is about unless you are adding these effects to what slider values rather than as a civic.

"Free Speech" we don't actually have that here in Australia. There is no law allowing it but there are a number of laws limiting it mostly to do with libel and defamation. This has changed somewhat over my life time with the addition of "hate" and "incitement to riot" restrictions.

Here are the civics updated to latest SVN. One tech name change and one terrain name change.

I have changed my mind on the taxation civic. The issue was that Rev and other mods say that what goes somewhere after the money being spent on Culture, Science etc is Taxation bit it isn't. The whole amount you get is the total income for your nation from all sources including taxation. The sliders are just the way you spend it. Which means that the bit left over should probably be called something like "To Treasury".

One problem is that these civics are still causing the auto builds civic buildings to happen. Those buildings probably also need to be turned off or adjusted.

Attachments

• Simple Civics.7z
    26.5 KB · Views: 193
The issue was that Rev and other mods say that what goes somewhere after the money being spent on Culture, Science etc is Taxation bit it isn't. The whole amount you get is the total income for your nation from all sources including taxation. The sliders are just the way you spend it. Which means that the bit left over should probably be called something like "To Treasury".
Completely agree. That's a big problem I have with some of the systems that assume that the gold % (the 'default' slider) is taxation.

Here are the civics updated to latest SVN. One tech name change and one terrain name change.

I have changed my mind on the taxation civic. The issue was that Rev and other mods say that what goes somewhere after the money being spent on Culture, Science etc is Taxation bit it isn't. The whole amount you get is the total income for your nation from all sources including taxation. The sliders are just the way you spend it. Which means that the bit left over should probably be called something like "To Treasury".

One problem is that these civics are still causing the auto builds civic buildings to happen. Those buildings probably also need to be turned off or adjusted.

DH are you still using this set?

And if you are, can they be used thru the My_Mods Folder? Since you supplied a schema too.

Just off the top We Really need to use the Anarchism Gov't Civic from this set for the Main. It would imhpo Kill the Rev problem some players have of their 1st city going into endless revolt cycles.

I have compared this one to the v36 Revert I recently did And to SO's newest set that he wanted looked at. SO's make this Rev problem worse. The v36 Revert set Can cause some Civs with specific Leaders (Traits and Trait Options) to do the same. This one is so much cleaner and useful for a Starting Civic. And doesn't seem to cause a Rev starting game meltdown.

IF the Deity players complain about too much early Gold the 80% NumCityMaint could be added to push down the gold a bit. This would also allay some ppl's fear that the AI would not leave this Civic.

JosEPh

DH are you still using this set?

And if you are, can they be used thru the My_Mods Folder? Since you supplied a schema too.

In my current game I am trying out SO's new version but I think I still prefer this one.

Yes, I just copy the Simple Civics folder in the compressed file into the My_Mods folder.

Thanks

JosEPh

Top Bottom