Caesar's Journal

JoeCivFan

Warlord
(So, I havent done this in a while, so please hang with me!)

It is the year 4000 BC and my people have intrusted me with their fates. They came to me and asked me to settle them and ensure their safety and prosperity. Like my fathers before me, I led my fellow tribesmen. We were nomadic in nature, and knew not much of the world in which we lived. Were there vast oceans for us to explore? Maybe other tribes with which to forge alliances or pillage and plunder? What resources were there for us to use and manipulate to our advantage? As the village elder, my people looked to me to answer all of their questions. My answer came swift, and was absolute.

We must end our nomadic ways and create a single place to live and build. A "city", as I would come to call it. Our first challenge was to the name of our new city. For thousands of years my father, and his father, and his fathers before that had called our tribe the Romans. So as the Romans, our first city should justly be called Rome! My cultural advisor agreed, and so it was, in 4000 BC, that Rome was founded.

We picked a spot not far from the ocean. All around us was open grasslands. To the northwest of the city, a source of grapes was discovered. I deemed that these grapes should be turned into wines and given to the people, in order to make them happy. So, a worker was dispatched to build a road, thus linking our new great city with our tastey wines.

Progress was slow. It was already 3800 BC. The road was just finished connecting the wines to Rome. We now had two warriors scouting the lands. I sent one of them out to explore our surrounding area and see what was around us. Shortly after I sent him, he discovered a smaller, less civilized tribe of people. They were happy with meeting us, and they supplied us with a warrior. This warrior wasn't as strong or glorious as my own, but I was in no position to turn him away. I also sent that warrior out to explore the land. Two scouts are better than one, or so my advisors tell me.

A short 50 years later, in 3750 BC, our scouting paid off. I, great Caesar, had another warrior created in our city. My advisors told me that if I were to last as a great ruler, I must expand my boudaries. They informed me that if I were to creat great settlers, we could found new cities and rule the world. However, there was no evidence that there were other cities out there to even rival my own. But, I went with the advisors on this one. And alas, we have spotted another's borders. Our scouting had revealed more wines scattered around the region, and a source on an island, not far from Rome. If I were a great leader, I would swipe up these sources, and use them to my advantage. If it weren't for my trusted advisors, I may not have started on that settler, and in turn, may have ended up watching as some other city tried to take them from us. These lands are every bit as Roman as they city itself, or so I deemed. We must hurry to secure them.

By the way, I am playing on Civ 3 Complete. This map is the European map from Civ III PTW. Its a huge map, with all of the nations in on the fun. The Rules are as follows:

Victories:
Domination, Conquest, and Cultural

Culturally linked starting locations, Preserve random seed. Accelerated production, allow cultural conversions, and allow scientific leaders. I am playing with barbarians set at sedentary (which means only goody huts, hence leaving Rome undefended.) And I am playing with a normal AI, no more or no less agressive.

3550 BC was a great year for Rome. Its borders expanded, and the god's graced us with a settler from the city. I addressed my citizens. I told them that the gods would reward hard work. Their work would be matched with gold and resources if they would only keep it up. I told them that their fate rested in their own hands, and it was up to them to make of it whatever they wanted.

I had forefathers who ruled our nomadic tribe with their fist, instead of their minds and their hearts, and I had always vowed that if given the opportunity, I would never rule that way. I would be kind to the people...revered by them...worshiped by them. And I, in return would worship them. I would soon come to learn that my people were my livelihood. It was only through them that I would be able to make progress and bring about the Roman princibles to the rest of the world.

After the settler was formed, there was great debate on what should be created next. Some said more settlers. I would be inclined to agree with them, but settlers take a toll on a city. They reduce the population severly. A city grows and thrives off of is population. The higher the population, the greater productivity it has. Once our borders expanded. another's borders were spotted to the northeast of us. It would seem, at this rate, that there were bound to be many other tribes out there, waiting for us to meet. So, it was decided by my advisors and I that we should take a peaceful route. The options were to build a barracks to train better soldiers, or to build a temple, and make the God's happy, thus blessing us with cultural dominance. We wanted the world to be in awe of Rome, so a temple was started.

The settler was dispatched to the coast. I knew, and was constantly reminded, that if we were to ever reach the island in the distance, we much first have a city on the coast. Little was known about this huge body of water. Its waves lapped on the beaches and created a very relaxing sound.

But as the settler made its voyage to the coast, another tribe was spotted. However, they weren't as happy as the first tribe we met. They wanted to fight. Their proximity put my settler at risk. This was our first chance to show the world the might of Rome. We must stop these weak warriors and save our settler.

It was but that same year that a messenger was sent. He hailed himself from a land of peoples called the "Mongols". I would later in life laugh at them and call them the mongrols, but this was in years to come. However in the present state, we were lacking. My advisor, who had heard tales from Mongolia told me that they were more advanced than we were. This was unacceptable to me. They offered me the knowledge of Pottery if I taught them our Alphabet. If they were so ahead, then why didnt they already have this technology, so I thought.

Then I devised a plan. If they wanted our technology, maybe I could convince them to give us a little more, and give us the upper hand on the trading field. So, I offered them a counter offer. The only other technology that they had was Bronze Working, which I was years from mastering. I got them to throw that in, plus an extra 6 gold from their treasury of 35. At the time I was worried. They were ahead in technology, and were richer than the Romans. But I convinced myself that this would change, for they were giving me two technologies for my one, and gold on top of that. Things would be evening out, and I could catch up with no problem.

The warring tribesmen from the village were swifly dealt with, without any harm to our warrior or villager, and the villagers finally reached the coast, safely. They decided to settle on the coast, with wines on one side of them, and cattle on the other. The water was filled with bountiful fish, which between the cattle and the fish meant food for everybody. This city now created a shared border with another "Country" as they were being called these days. Vii was founded in the year 3300 BC, and it wasn't for another 200 years, in 3100 BC that we actually met that country. They called themselves England. Strange name I thought at the time. I knew they couldn't last long. We were way ahead in technology, and my warriors outnumbered theirs. I could smite them from my lands if I so desired. But I vowed to be peaceful. If they were behind us in technology, and only had a single city, what threat were they to us?

Oh how the years flew by. After creating a skilled warrior in Vii, a new unit, with better defensive capabilities was created. They called them spearmen. Obviously they were armed with spears to push back attacking armies, should there be any. In the mean time, over in Rome, our temple was finished and the population was booming. It was deemed that another settler be created so that I could expand my ways of life.

I would like people's comments on my story. I want to know what you think about my gameplay, my storytellings, and what you would do differently. Also, tell me what you want to hear about in the story! Please!

Years have passed with little change. I lounge around my palace with little to do. I have no wife, for I am married to my country. So my afternoons are spent sitting with my advisors, listening to their concerns, and trying to come up with solutions. My domestic advisor, a woman named Gaia, wishes me to build more cities. So, the settler in Rome was finished, and I ordered him to be sent t the west, to obtain a source of furs in the forrests. My trade advisor, another woman, named Lucia, says I should secure more resources. I have but one source of wine, so I ordered my worker to build a road to the wines of Vii. This will secure another source, and connect Rome and Vii, all at the same time. My military advisor, Lucius, wants me to create a bigger army. I remind him of our armie's strength already, and he admits we have a stronger military than those near us, but he still calls for a larger military. Probably because there is still gold in m treasury, and he will not stop his calls for more military until there is no gold left. The typical general. Then theres my foreign advisor. He is always trustworthy and honest. Quintus is his name. His father and my father were great friends before I settled our people, or so I was told. I was too young to remember my father. He died when I was a child, of some fever they told me. My older brother Cassius led my people until just recently. But one day, he just left. He woke up early, to start his daily run, and never returned. There was much chaos and disorder for days, and the people looked to me. But we will bring that back up at a later date. Onto the rest of my advisors. My cultural advisor, a beautiful woman by the name of Aula, wishes me to build more temples for our Gods. Not only will we be pleasing the gods, but we will too, be culturally out preforming our rivals (and allies, she always says.) Then there's my science advisor, good man. Titus is his name. He is my mother's cousin's son. So he is family, but that is not why he was appointed his position. I enjoy his company, and he always tells me stories of inventions he comes up with. I hate to see good brains put to waist, and this is why he is my scientific advisor.

Anyway, back to Rome. Our knowledge of the world is growing and I am rapidly trying to secure known resources for myself. My people are the most important factor in my decisions, and when they are happy, I am happy. My people want to expand, as well as Gaia, the wonderful domestic advisor. So we expand.

I look on as Rome grows under my watchful eye. The world is rich in resources. There are sources of wines all over the world, as I am discovering more and more every place I turn. It will be impossible for Rome to secure them all and be an exporter of wines. But no matter what anybody tells you, Romans wines will always be the best.

My country grows ever more. The city of Antium was found in the year 2750 BC, in a forest filled with animal furs. I will bring these furs to the people, and spread them around my developing empire. My people will love me.

Shortly after that, in 2510, Cumae was founded, slightly southwest of Rome, grabbing another source of wine for Rome. But now I watch on as both England and Mongolia send out settlers. My land! They are settling the land of Rome...

I was startled when my science advisor Titus told me that we had perfected Iron Working, but there was no iron in or near Rome. He told me that iron could be used to make many things and improve Roman armor. We must get iron. If Rome is to survive, we must secure a source of Iron.

Then some ghastly leader, from some far away land called Spain sent messengers to me. Spain, I remember thinking. What kind of a name is Spain? Its the same thought I had when I first heard of England, or Mongolia. They will never be as grandious as Rome. But Isabella, the leader of this Spain, traded me the wheel and ten gold for one of my technologies.

Again, I was disturbed when Titus told me that the wheel would allow us to use horses, and there were none in the realm of Rome. I must secure these resources...if Rome is to survive...

Rome was sitting idle while the rest of the world expanded. No new settlers were created. No new cities were founded. Rome was just sitting. I was beginning to grow unhappy with myself. My people were still happy, for they had wines and furs to do them over. I had secured a source of horses near Rome, when a a great study was finished.

After continuous exploration, Iron was discoverd. BUt it was far to the south. But it was deemed a necessary commodity by Quintus. So, by a Praetorian decree, I ordered a worker to start on a road south so that I could send settlers into the area and claim the Roman Iron.

I then met the Aztecs and the Mayans. "Where do these people come up with their names?" I thought. But I later realized that I shouldn't be one to judge at their pathetic attempts of cultural diversity. But Montezuma of the Aztecs gave me masonry for my alphabet, and the leader of the Mayans traded me 70 gold for the Alphabet as well.

Rome will grow!

It was only then I felt I had met my match.

These...Zulu...They have out teched me. And it will cost to catch up! 140 Gold later I had Horseback Riding and Writing. I couldnt get them to give me Mathematics at a reasonable cost...Zulu bastards!

Rome slipped back into another period of inactivity. We were just sitting, taking up space on the land. Slowing discovering new technologies, waiting...

The finally, something of great importance happened. The Collasus was build in Vii in the year 1790. It is a huge statue, built to guide our ships through waters. I dedicated it to our Gods, because everything thats ours is theirs. Then, a few short years later, something suprising happened. I was shown the hostility of the Mongolian leader Temujin. In 1750, he threatened me with annhiliation unless I gave him 50 gold. Why somebody would bring about something so terrible over something as trivial as gold is unknown to me. But, Rome will stand strong. I, of course, denied his threat, and he went away stomping his feet, not having achieved anything. I would have to keep my eye on him.

Then in the year 1625 BC, the city of Neopolis was founded. It was a great new city with grasslands all around, with a forrest and a few hills. I'm sure its people loved it though. But for me, there was nothing but my city of Rome. In the mean time, I had created temples in the Roman cities of Cumae and Antium. In Vii, I started on a new wonder, The Great Lighthouse. In Antium, the citizens longed for something great, so I designated it the construction site of the Mausoleum of Mausollos. But it would be some time before these great improvements would be finished, so we would have to wait it out and see if we could finish them before anybody else. 100 years later, the year 1525 BC, The Oracle was created in Rome, giving them a great wonder to gaze at, as they worked dilligently.

It was then that I started creating an army. England was expanding, and so was everybody else, but my country. I began producing horsemen in Cumae and Rome. I had no offensive army, so this would help out in a tight spot. Later on, in 1350 BC, Pompeii was founded. I had to rush this city due to foreign competition. I had originally planned for it to be built on a hill, next to lucious food resources, but it had to be built elsewhere due to encroaching Mongolian territory, and a new settler, doing Temujins work indeed. But a great thing happened that year. Pisae was founded far off to the south. This city secured a source of Iron for my empire. Now we played the waiting game for the road to be finished. This road will no doubt be the longest ever built. The world will watch in awe!

Then after the glory of Pisae, came defeat by the way of the Iroqouis. Roman dreams of crossing the great water and colonizing the island were crushed when it was discovered that the Iroqous lived there. They were smart too, and had much more territory than I did. But, I made a deal with them, and we both became equal in the fields of science.

Of course it cost me some, but it was worth it!

Finally, I had finished the Great Lighthouse in Vii. It became the first Roman city to house two great wonders. It will aid our ships to navigate the treacherous waters that are on our coast. The world will look at it in awe as they pass by, drooling over our culture.

Then it happened. As my settler went to build another city, finally connecting Pisae in the far south to the rest of Rome, England settled first. I wasnt taking this lightly. A regiment of horseman in the area saw it and were outraged a an English city in lands that the Gods had designated as Roman. They charged and...

My horseman was victorious over Elizabeth's lone spearman. This was the first victory for Rome in what would turn out to be many. Through exploration I had discovered vast openness on the other side of England, and all that was standing in the way of it was Elizabeth.

I mobilized my horsemen armies on the border and launched them at England. I know they have access to Iron, but it is unknown to us if they have obtained it and utilzed it. Shortly after the war began, our horsemen had made it to the ourskirts of London, Elizabeth's jewel. If we could take London, the rest of the pieces would surely fall into place if I had enough troops. I just had to raise up my regiments and attack. The battle in London was tough. The horsemen rode in shaking their spears in the name of Rome. Horseman after horseman attacked, each chipping away at the defenses of London...until no more could stand in the way of Rome.

But I, great Caesar was presented with a dellima. Elizabeth came to me seeking peace. She reminded me of my promise to rule peacefully. I watched a Queen, who narrowly escaped capture in London, get down on her knees and beg for her country. I contemplated peace as my troops pushed on, and in 950 BC, I captured Coventry. Finally, I went to Elizabeth to see what she had to offer. I was astonished. Before the war, she was small, weak, and backwards in the ways of science. But after the war, she was way more advanced than I, Caesar. I could not let this be. So in the intrest of saving time, I let her have her peace in exchange for the technologies of Monarchy, Literature, and Currency, plus a total of 71 gold, which was more than I had in my treasury.

Rome was again growing. With the capture of London came a ton of patriotism. I declared that my Forbidden Palace should be placed there once I was ready, and I could use it as a second capital...The capital Elizabeth was now without. .

In a way, I pittied the woman. It was at that time I contemplated re-invading the country, taking what I could, and claiming Elizabeth as my bride. There really wasn't much stopping me. I didn't have a HUGE army, but Elizabeth didnt have much in the way of defenses. But in the intrest of improving Rome first, I decided to wait...

Then entered another period where Rome simply existed. It was a period of domestic growth, but nothing worth mentioning on an international front. I sat in Rome and watched as rodes were built, Libraries, Aqueducts, and Colloseums popped up around the country, and the people were loving it. But something still wasn't right. Then it dawned on me. While I was sitting there, on my despotic throne, the world around me was surpassing me. I dissolved government, and a revolution ensued. The revolt started in 690 BC. But some years later, in 610 BC, I had regained control. I punished nobody for their revolt. Its human nature to reject the unknown. The people were uncertain in our direction. However, they weren't aware of the growing threats. England pushed westward, gobbling up land. The Iroqouis were crossing the Channel, as it was now called, and setting in unoccupied land, amongst the English. All while Rome was sitting there. We had open land to the south, and open land just past England, and we were watching as it slowly became parts and bits of pieces of other lands.

After the revolt, the people were happy again. The only downfall of a republic...The economy shot down. I was now losing over 40 GPT, which will quickly eat up my surplus of gold if I dont do something!

The war was fought for hundreds of years, to no avail on either side. I had just changed my government to a Republic, so the people were unhappy with war. I fought mainly a defensive war, only attacking the Aztec troops that came into my country. They seemed pretty determined to take my city, Hispalis. They got close once, my of course I sent in my horsemen to push them back. The road to my iron was nearly complete when my economy fell through and my worker building the road was disbanded but I have managed to nearly turn the economy around. Just after the revoultion we were losing 37gpt, and I have worked that down to losing 8gpt.

um... question:

Vii = Veii..?

Or doth the mighty Caesar have a pet name for it? ;)

Also, might I offer one or two suggestions for the good of the empire, sire?

Top Bottom