[GS] Calamities.. Hope there is an on off button

glaciermi

Chieftain
Maybe it's just me, but i'd rather go for 5x as many barbarians, than a tornado randomly taking out my city. I hope there is an on off button.. Shades of the first SIM City.

They mentioned some kind of way to adjust frequency of disasters in the start options during the livestream.

I'm not sure if "off" is an option.

1. Disasters don't take out cities. At worst, they damage them.
2. There are five different options, from very low to very high.
3. Game design has come a long way since the first SimCity roughly 20 years ago.
4. You will know what disaster-prone spots are before you settle there.

1. Disasters don't take out cities. At worst, they damage them.
2. There are five different options, from very low to very high.
3. Game design has come a long way since the first SimCity roughly 20 years ago.
4. You will know what disaster-prone spots are before you settle there.
I agree with everything you said except the first point.If I remember it correctly, I think I heard them say a disaster can even wipe out your city completely.But most probably in "hyper realistic" level or maybe just a city that is already damaged.
Definitely not in lower severity/amount mode though.

Leaving aside personal preference, I could see some FFA MP and GOTM-type competitions tuning natural disasters to the minimum setting (along with eliminating barbs and tribal villages) to allow the competition to focus on player skill, rather than RNG, but who knows — each player and community will make its own choices about Advanced Setup settings.

I don't know if everyone else noticed, but tiles that can be affected by natural disasters have unique icons on the settler overlay.

Rising sea levels.

Flooding.

Volcanic activity.

I don't know if everyone else noticed, but tiles that can be affected by natural disasters have unique icons on the settler overlay.

Rising sea levels.

Flooding.

Volcanic activity.

Nice catch.

I'm actually worried natural disasters don't look severe enough.

And yes I will be one of those people playing on hyper real setting.

I'll test it on the level I like my steaks: medium rare. So level 3 for me in the first round - hyperrealistic looks too pumped up to me. But maybe that was because of fastspeed - livestream setting...

Last edited:
As much as I like and have been desiring natural events I will most likely have them turned down to the lower levels versus the "hyper-realistic" as mentioned in the Ed Beach video. It is an excellent mechanic IMHO but NO mechanic should ever be an annoying impetus to progress in a game.

Really curious to see the actual impact. I am a little bummed that it sounds like climate change is just going to add one more reason to avoid coast. Hopefully some of the new stuff will add impetus to settle coastal cities.

Really curious to see the actual impact. I am a little bummed that it sounds like climate change is just going to add one more reason to avoid coast. Hopefully some of the new stuff will add impetus to settle coastal cities.

Well, you are actually smarter than the most of human civilization. :D

My first match will be on whatever FIraxis set as standard so I can get a feeling of the system, then I adjust next match if I find it annoying or so cool I want it every turn.

I'll test it on the level I like my steaks: medium rare. So level 3 for me in the first round - hyperrealistic looks too pumped up to me. But maybe that was because of fastspeed - livestream setting...

Keep in mind that in the beginning of the game, a single turn represents 40 years. It'd be a little odd for certain geological features regions in the world to not have at least a minor disaster every 40 years or so. The Nile River comes to mind in the ancient era. In the modern era, a place like Cuba or Florida comes to mind.

Top Bottom